Question on a sinodal charge distribution regarding retarded potential.

In summary, the conversation is about finding the retarded scalar potential V at the origin from a plastic circular ring on xy plane centered at the origin and spinning at a constant angular velocity \omega with a line charge density \lambda = \lambda_0\left | sin \left (\frac {\theta}{2}\right ) \right |. The potential is calculated using the formula V_{(\vec r,t)} = \frac 1 {4\pi \epsilon_0}\int \frac {\lambda_{(\phi,t_r)}}{a} dl', where \theta = \phi - \omega t_r. There is a question about the limits of integration for \phi and \theta, which is resolved. Then, there is a
yungman
The example is about finding the retarded scalar potential V at the origin from a plastic circular ring on xy plane center at origin spining at constant angular velocity [itex]\omega[/itex] with line charge density: [tex] \lambda = \lambda_0\left | sin \left (\frac {\theta}{2}\right ) \right |[/itex]

For finding retarded potential at the origin,
[tex] \hbox { Let }\; \theta = \phi - \omega t_r [/tex]

[tex]\lambda_{(\phi,t_r)} = \lambda_0\left | sin \left (\frac {\theta}{2}\right ) \right | = \lambda_0\left | sin \left (\frac {\phi -\omega t_r}{2}\right ) \right | [/tex]

Where [tex] V_{(\vec r,t)} = \frac 1 {4\pi \epsilon_0}\int \frac {\lambda_{(\phi,t_r)}}{a} dl' = \frac {\lambda_0} {4\pi \epsilon_0}\int_0^{2\pi} \frac {\left |sin \left (\frac {\phi - \omega t_r}{2}\right ) \right | }{a} ad\phi = \frac {\lambda_0} {4\pi \epsilon_0}\int_0^{2\pi} \left |sin \left (\frac {\theta}{2}\right ) \right | d\theta [/tex]

Notice the limit of the two integration still the same? My question is the book claim both [itex]\phi \;\hbox { and }\; \theta [/itex] are 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex]. But if you do the convensional substitution:

[tex] \phi = 0 \Rightarrow \theta =-\frac { \omega t_r}{2} \hbox { and } \;\phi = 2\pi \Rightarrow \theta = 2\pi-\frac { \omega t_r}{2} [/tex]

This will change the limit. Please explain why I can do that.

Thanks

Alan

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually I figure out my original question. But I have a totally different question. I modified the original post #1. Please take a look and help me.

Thanks

Alan

1. What is a sinodal charge distribution?

A sinodal charge distribution refers to a system of charged particles that are arranged in a specific way, resulting in a net charge distribution that follows a sinusoidal pattern.

2. How does a sinodal charge distribution affect the electric potential?

A sinodal charge distribution affects the electric potential by creating regions of higher and lower potential depending on the arrangement of the charged particles. The potential at any point in space is determined by the sum of the contributions from each charged particle in the distribution.

3. What is the retarded potential in a sinodal charge distribution?

The retarded potential in a sinodal charge distribution is the electric potential at a specific point in space and time, taking into account the delays in the propagation of the electric field caused by the finite speed of light. It is calculated using the retarded time, which is the time it takes for the electric field to reach the point in question.

4. How is the retarded potential calculated in a sinodal charge distribution?

The retarded potential in a sinodal charge distribution can be calculated using the retarded time and the contributions from each charged particle in the distribution. The equation for the retarded potential is V = k ∑ Qn/√(r^2 - (ct - t')^2), where k is the Coulomb constant, Qn is the charge of the nth particle, r is the distance from the particle to the point in question, t is the time at the point in question, and t' is the retarded time.

5. What is the significance of understanding the retarded potential in a sinodal charge distribution?

Understanding the retarded potential in a sinodal charge distribution is important in accurately predicting the behavior of electric fields and potential in systems with time-varying charge distributions. It also allows for a better understanding of the effects of the finite speed of light on electric fields and potential. This knowledge can be applied in various fields such as electromagnetics, astrophysics, and electrical engineering.