Frame Dragging & Black Holes: CTC Possibility?

In summary: CTCs are predicted to exist within the ring singularity for Kerr metric and just outside the ring singularity for the Kerr-Newman metric (basically where g_{\phi \phi}\leq 0 -).In summary, CTCs have been predicted to exist within the ring singularity for Kerr metric and just outside the ring singularity for the Kerr-Newman metric, but only in extreme cases where the horizon is eliminated due to rapid rotation. These CTCs are not observable to distant observers and are often hidden behind a horizon due to the properties of time orientability and global hyperbolicity in physically meaningful manifolds.
Imax
Can frame dragging around a black hole induce closed timelike curves (CTC)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Imax said:
Can frame dragging around a black hole induce closed timelike curves (CTC)?
Short answer: no. It would require a black hole rotating so fast that the horizon is eliminated, which can't happen.

Chalnoth said:
Short answer: no. It would require a black hole rotating so fast that the horizon is eliminated, which can't happen.

I'm just speculating about the possibility of a CTC outside the event horizon. What could a distant observer see?

Within a CTC, causality is lost. Cause and effect do not necessarily follow. A test particle can undergo a colision, but the effects of that colision could be seen in the past, before the colision happened.

The effects of any CTC within the event horizon of a black hole is not observable to a distant observer, but a CTC outside the event horizon should have some observable characteristics.

Imax said:
I'm just speculating about the possibility of a CTC outside the event horizon.
I know. It can't be done.

Imax said:
The possibility of a CTC within a spacetime is not necessarily a bad thing. see

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/gr-qc/pdf/0609/0609054v5.pdf
That, um, has no relevance to my point. There still aren't any closed time-like curves near the outside of the event horizon of a black hole, rotating or no.

Chalnoth said:
That, um, has no relevance to my point. There still aren't any closed time-like curves near the outside of the event horizon of a black hole, rotating or no.

Sorry. I don’t mean to imply that there are CTCs outside the event horizon, but frame dragging seems to be generally associated with CTCs and there seems to be very few examples of metrics which:

1) have CTCs, and
2) are generally accepted as being physically meaningful (i.e. excluding ones like the Gödel metric).

In many metrics with CTCs, such as those with frame dragging, the CTCs seem to be hidden behind a horizon. Is this a general property of these types of metrics (i.e. CTCs are hidden behind a horizon) or are there assumptions made in constructing physically meaningful manifolds that makes this necessarily the case?

For example, if you what time to go from –infinity to +infinity, then you need to construct a manifold with two properties:

1) Time orientability
2) Global hyperbolicity

Do these properties make it so that CTCs are necessarily hidden behind horizons? Global hyperbolicity implies that there are no possible CTCs (but they sometimes creep in, like in the Kerr metric).

Imax said:
Do these properties make it so that CTCs are necessarily hidden behind horizons?
I believe this is the case, yes.

1. What is frame dragging?

Frame dragging is a phenomenon predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity, where the rotation of a massive object (such as a black hole) causes the surrounding spacetime to be dragged along with it, affecting the motion of nearby objects.

2. How does frame dragging relate to black holes?

Black holes are extremely massive objects that have such a strong gravitational pull that even light cannot escape from them. As these objects rotate, they cause a significant amount of frame dragging in their surrounding spacetime, which can have a profound effect on the motion of objects near the black hole.

3. Can frame dragging lead to the formation of closed time-like curves (CTCs)?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that frame dragging can directly lead to the formation of CTCs. However, some theoretical models suggest that extreme frame dragging near the event horizon of a rotating black hole could potentially create a region where time loops back on itself, allowing for the possibility of CTCs.

4. What are CTCs and why are they important in the context of black holes?

CTCs, or closed time-like curves, are paths through spacetime that loop back on themselves, allowing for the possibility of time travel. In the context of black holes, CTCs are important because they could potentially allow for the violation of causality and the creation of paradoxes, which goes against our current understanding of the laws of physics.

5. Is the existence of CTCs near black holes confirmed?

No, the existence of CTCs near black holes is still a theoretical concept and has not been confirmed by empirical evidence. While some models suggest that CTCs may be possible near rotating black holes, further research and observations are needed to fully understand their potential existence and implications.