Human Genome Project: Results & Interactions

In summary, the Human Genome Project was a multinational research effort that aimed to map the entire human genome. It was completed in 2003 and has since led to numerous groundbreaking discoveries in the field of genetics. The project revealed that the human genome is made up of around 3 billion base pairs and contains approximately 20,000-25,000 genes. It also identified the locations of many disease-causing genes and provided a better understanding of how they interact with each other and with the environment. The project has had a significant impact on various fields, including medicine, agriculture, and forensics, and continues to be a valuable resource for ongoing research in genetics and genomics.
drdolittle
Can somebody help me in giving information about the results of Human Genome Project.i hope there ultimate aim is to find out all the possible combinations of available 30000-400000 chromoomes in human body.Were they able to draw the expected results? My second question is whether any possible sources available dealing with the INTERACTION OF GENES.If so,please do let me know.

regards
drdolittle

"i think that he thinks that i think that he thinks"

Biology news on Phys.org
hi drdolittle, there were two independent research groups (one private, one public) that analyzed the sequence of the 3 billion base that make up the human genome; they also analyzed many other genomes. You can find information on the publicly funded project at this website http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Genomes/

By knowing the exact sequence of bases, it's like they were able to write down sentences of a book. Right now they are in the process of analyzing those sentences to see which genes are in them and how those genes work. A major advantage of knowing multiple genomes is that you can compare them with each other and thus gather information about conserved regions.

There are also resources on the interaction of genes, I guess you'd be interested in protein interaction maps. Recently the protein interaction map of the fruitfly was published in Science.. I'm not sure whether there's a database available yet.

Perhaps you've seen the elegant universe on relativity, there's a similar program on the race for finishing the human genome project between Craig Venter and Eric Lander.
You'll get an explanation by the guys that did the job, great fun...
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/genome/program.html

I believe Mark Vidal pioneered protein interaction maps in yeast and follow up work has been done to reate interaction maps of the Drosophila proteome meaning massive yeast-2-hybrid assays. Heres a free database were you can find what your protein of interest interacts with http://biodata.mshri.on.ca/fly_grid/servlet/SearchPage you need to find the drosophila ortholog of your protein though...if its conserved at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Human Genome Project?

The Human Genome Project (HGP) was an international scientific research project that aimed to map and sequence the entire human genome. It was completed in 2003 and provided the first comprehensive understanding of the human genetic code.

2. What were the main results of the Human Genome Project?

The main results of the Human Genome Project include the sequencing of the complete human genome, identifying and mapping over 20,000 human genes, and providing a reference sequence for future studies on genetic variation and disease.

3. How has the Human Genome Project impacted scientific research?

The Human Genome Project has had a significant impact on scientific research by providing a wealth of information about the human genetic code. This has led to advancements in understanding and treating genetic diseases, developing new diagnostic tools, and creating personalized medicine.

4. What are some ethical considerations surrounding the Human Genome Project?

Some ethical considerations surrounding the Human Genome Project include concerns about privacy and confidentiality of genetic information, potential discrimination based on genetic predispositions, and the use of genetic testing for non-medical purposes.

5. What are some potential future applications of the Human Genome Project?

The Human Genome Project has opened up numerous possibilities for future applications, such as gene therapy and gene editing for treating genetic diseases, personalized medicine based on an individual's genetic makeup, and a deeper understanding of human evolution and population genetics.