1 litre tank water sealed does steam pressure rise linear or exponential?

In summary, the conversation is about the steam pressure increase in a litre container of water heated from 50 to 200 degrees centigrade at a linear rate. The person is wondering if the steam pressure rises linearly or exponentially and if the ideal gas law can be used to find the pressure. They also mention failing science in school and needing confirmation before building something.
daveyjones97
hi, if you had a litre container full of water with negligible air and nothing else and heated it at a linear rate from 50 degrees centigrade upto 200 degrees centigrade does the steam pressure rise linearly or exponentially?
the measurements are plucked from the air, its the rate of steam pressure increase above 100 deg c in a sealed tank I am interested in.

i failed science at school and need this confirmed before i build something. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the heat input linear, energy added per time, or the temperature rise, degrees centigrade change per time?

Worst case estimate, consider the water to be an ideal gas. Adding energy to an ideal gas in a closed, thermally insulated container one can just use the ideal gas law to find the pressure?

1. Does steam pressure in a 1 litre tank of water sealed increase linearly or exponentially?

The steam pressure in a 1 litre tank of water sealed will increase exponentially.

2. What factors affect the rate of steam pressure increase in a 1 litre tank of water sealed?

The rate of steam pressure increase in a 1 litre tank of water sealed is affected by the temperature of the water, the volume of the tank, and the amount of heat applied.

3. Is there a maximum pressure that can be reached in a 1 litre tank of water sealed?

Yes, there is a maximum pressure that can be reached in a 1 litre tank of water sealed. This is known as the saturation pressure, and it is dependent on the temperature of the water.

4. How can I calculate the steam pressure in a 1 litre tank of water sealed?

The steam pressure in a 1 litre tank of water sealed can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that Pressure x Volume = Number of moles x Gas constant x Temperature.

5. Can the steam pressure in a 1 litre tank of water sealed be controlled?

Yes, the steam pressure in a 1 litre tank of water sealed can be controlled by adjusting the temperature or volume of the tank, or by releasing steam to decrease the pressure. This is important in applications such as pressure cookers or steam engines.