Interpolation of pressure from one mesh to another mesh

In summary, you interpolated two meshes and found that they did not match. You want to compare the forces on the elements of the two meshes to see if the interpolation was done correctly.
kajalschopra
I have performed interpoaltion of applied pressure from one mesh (mesh of tetra elements) to another mesh (mesh of brick elements).

I have done the interpolation.

I want to introduce some checks if my interpoaltion is rightly done..

Please can anyone advise what could be the checks that may be acrried out?

Please help..

Kajal

Physics news on Phys.org
Some ideas:
Integrate the pressure over the domain.
Interpolate some random points from both meshes and see if you get the same results.
Interpolate back to the original mesh to see if you get something remotely similar.

I did not get you here;

1) You say integrate pressure over the domain

Whay you mean exactly heer? does it mean that I should add the pressure on each of the nodes of each eleemnt?

Total pressure over the whole domain = Sum of pressures on every mode of every eleemnt?

Please can you eleaborate?

2) You said: Interpolate some random points from both meshes and see if you get the same results.

Is this continuation of 1)

Please he;lp

Also, I was thinking of:

1) Get the total pressure acting on every element face before interpolation (i.e on on elements of source mesh)- I can do this as I have some intrinsic functions available in the utility I'm using...

2) Get force on every element of 1 = total pressure * area of eleement face

3) Get total force summing up forces on every element face

1,2,3 were with the source mesh

Now, 4,5,6 on destination mesh

4) Get the total pressure acting on every element after interpolation (i.e on on elements of destination mesh)- agan using intrinsic functions available in the utility I'm using...

5) Get force on every element of 4 = total pressure * area of eleement face

6) Get total force summing up forces on every element face

Compare 3 and 6 which would give an ided of quality of interpolation done.

Please advise

1) Yes. Your second post explains it.

2) If the procedure you describe in the second post is expensive then you can just pick a few points in the domain and see whether the values on the two meshes agree. If you're doing the interpolation just once or you want to check your algorithm then the whole procedure is worth doing.

Q: What is interpolation of pressure from one mesh to another mesh?

Interpolation of pressure from one mesh to another mesh is a method used to estimate the pressure values at specific points on a new mesh, based on known pressure values on a different mesh. This is often used in computational fluid dynamics and other scientific simulations.

Q: Why is interpolation of pressure necessary?

Interpolation of pressure is necessary because in scientific simulations, the mesh used for calculations may be too coarse to accurately represent the pressure values at every point. Interpolation allows for a more precise estimation of pressure values at desired locations.

Q: What are the common techniques used for interpolation of pressure?

The most common techniques used for interpolation of pressure are linear interpolation, nearest neighbor interpolation, and inverse distance weighting. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of technique depends on the specific needs of the simulation.

Q: What factors can affect the accuracy of interpolated pressure values?

The accuracy of interpolated pressure values can be affected by the type and quality of the original mesh, the interpolation technique used, and the distance between the original and new mesh points. Other factors such as the smoothness of the pressure field and the presence of outliers can also impact the accuracy.

Q: Is there a standard method for interpolation of pressure from one mesh to another?

There is no one standard method for interpolation of pressure from one mesh to another, as the choice of technique depends on the specific needs and characteristics of the simulation. It is important to carefully consider the factors that can affect the accuracy and choose the most suitable method for the particular application.