Vector calculus identities navigation

In summary: Substituting this back into the original equation, we get:-\nabla \cdot (\rho \vec{u}) \cdot \vec{e} - \rho (\vec{u} \cdot \nabla) \vec{u} \cdot \vec{e} - (\nabla p) \cdot \vec{e} - \rho \vec{b} \cdot \vec{e}Next, the author has used the identity \nabla \cdot (p\
Dafe

Homework Statement

I'm reading in a fluid dynamics book and in it the author shortens an equation using identities my rusty vector calculus brain cannot reproduce.

Homework Equations

[tex] \vec{e} \cdot \frac{\partial}{\partial t}(\rho \vec{u}) =
-\nabla\cdot (\rho\vec{u})\cdot\vec{e} - \rho(\vec{u}\cdot\nabla)\vec{u}\cdot\vec{e}
- (\nabla p)\cdot\vec{e} + \rho\vec{b}\cdot\vec{e}
[/tex]

The author turns the left side of the equation into:

[tex]-\nabla\cdot(p\vec{e} + \rho\vec{u}(\vec{u}\cdot\vec{e})) + \rho\vec{b}\cdot\vec{e} [/tex]

Just to be clear;
[tex]\vec{u}[/tex] is a vector valued function,
[tex]\vec{e}[/tex] is a fixed vector,
[tex]\rho, p[/tex] are scalar valued functions.

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part is fine:
[tex]\nabla\cdot (p\vec{e}) = \nabla(p)\cdot\vec{e} + p(\nabla\cdot\vec{e})[/tex]
The divergence of a fixed vector is zero and so,
[tex]\nabla\cdot (p\vec{e}) = \nabla(p)\cdot\vec{e}[/tex]

Next I need to find
[tex] \nabla\cdot (\rho\vec{u}(\vec{u}\cdot\vec{e})) [/tex]

I am not sure what to do with is. [tex]\rho[/tex] is a scalar valued function, but so is I think [tex]\vec{u}\cdot\vec{e}[/tex]. I know of the product rule between a scalar and a vector valued function, but what happens when there are two scalar valued functions?

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question with us. It seems like the author has used some vector calculus identities to simplify the given equation. Let me try to explain how they might have arrived at the shortened version.

Firstly, let's look at the left side of the original equation:

\vec{e} \cdot \frac{\partial}{\partial t}(\rho \vec{u})

We can use the chain rule to expand this as follows:

\frac{\partial}{\partial t}(\rho \vec{u}) = \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} \vec{u} + \rho \frac{\partial \vec{u}}{\partial t}

Substituting this back into the original equation, we get:

\vec{e} \cdot \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} \vec{u} + \vec{e} \cdot \rho \frac{\partial \vec{u}}{\partial t}

Now, using the identity \nabla \cdot (\rho \vec{u}) = \vec{u} \cdot \nabla \rho + \rho \nabla \cdot \vec{u}, we can rewrite the first term as:

\vec{e} \cdot \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} \vec{u} = \nabla \cdot (\rho \vec{u}) \cdot \vec{e} - \rho \nabla \cdot \vec{u} \cdot \vec{e}

And the second term as:

\vec{e} \cdot \rho \frac{\partial \vec{u}}{\partial t} = \rho \vec{e} \cdot \frac{\partial \vec{u}}{\partial t} = \rho \vec{u} \cdot \nabla \vec{e} + \rho \vec{u} \cdot (\nabla \cdot \vec{e})

Now, using the identity \vec{u} \cdot (\nabla \cdot \vec{e}) = \nabla \cdot (\vec{u} \cdot \vec{e}) - (\nabla \times \vec{u}) \times \vec{e}, we can rewrite the second term as:

\rho \vec{u} \cdot (\nabla \cdot \vec{

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector fields and their derivatives. It involves the use of both vector and scalar quantities to describe and analyze physical phenomena.

2. What are vector calculus identities?

Vector calculus identities are equations that relate the derivatives and integrals of vector fields to each other. These identities are used to simplify and solve complex vector calculus equations.

3. How are vector calculus identities used in navigation?

Vector calculus identities are used in navigation to calculate the trajectory of a moving object or to determine the direction and speed of a moving object. They are also used to calculate the path of a ship or aircraft in relation to wind and ocean currents.

4. What are some common vector calculus identities used in navigation?

Some common vector calculus identities used in navigation are the gradient, divergence, and curl identities, which relate the derivatives of a vector field to its scalar components. The Stokes' theorem and the Gauss' theorem are also frequently used in navigation to calculate surface and volume integrals.

5. How does the use of vector calculus identities improve navigation?

The use of vector calculus identities allows for more accurate and efficient calculations in navigation. By using these identities, complex equations can be simplified and solved more quickly, leading to more precise navigation and better decision-making in terms of route planning and navigation strategies.