Laser Heating & Mathematica Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of heating samples with a laser in a lab and estimating the required laser power. The individual mentions the heat equation and asks for confirmation on their approach and for help solving it in Mathematica. They also inquire about any available books or references for this problem. The expert confirms that the presented information is correct and suggests using the NDSolve command in Mathematica. They also provide resources such as a tutorial on solving PDEs and the Wolfram Library Archive for finding related books and references.
TaBaC
Hi
the problem i am dealing with is that we want to heat samples up with a laser in our lab. For estimating the required laser power, as you know better than me, the main loss will be the heat diffusion in the material.

My heat equation is in the following:

[itex]\frac{du(x,y,z,t)}{dt}[/itex] - [itex]\nabla^2u(x,y,z,t)[/itex] - f(x) =0

where f(x) is the temperature increase by the laser beam (in unit time) in the middle of the plane. i think it should be a step function. 0 outside the beam and constant inside the beam.

do you think what i have here is correct ?

how can i solve it in mathematica ?

do have you have any book/reference for this problem ?

i think this is a well solved problem but i cannot find any thing on the net.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Yes, what you have presented is correct. To solve this problem in Mathematica, you will need to use the NDSolve command. You can find a tutorial for this on the Wolfram website: https://reference.wolfram.com/language/tutorial/SolvingPDEs.htmlTo find some books or references, a good place to start would be the Wolfram Library Archive. It contains a comprehensive collection of books and other resources related to Mathematica: https://library.wolfram.com/You may also be able to find some books related to your specific problem by searching for 'heat equation' or 'heat diffusion'. Good luck!

1. How does laser heating work?

Laser heating involves using a laser beam to heat up a material, which can lead to changes in its physical properties. The laser beam is absorbed by the material, causing its temperature to rise, and can be controlled to heat up specific areas or volumes.

2. What types of materials can be heated using lasers?

Laser heating can be used on a wide range of materials, including metals, ceramics, and semiconductors. The material's ability to absorb and conduct heat, as well as its melting point, will determine its suitability for laser heating.

3. What is the advantage of using laser heating compared to other heating methods?

Laser heating offers several advantages, including precise control over the heating area and temperature, minimal thermal damage to surrounding materials, and the ability to heat up materials that are difficult to heat using traditional methods.

4. How can Mathematica be used to solve laser heating problems?

Mathematica is a powerful software tool that can be used to model and simulate laser heating processes. It can solve complex equations, visualize temperature distributions, and optimize laser parameters to achieve desired heating outcomes.

5. Are there any safety considerations when working with laser heating?

Yes, laser heating does have some safety considerations. It is important to wear appropriate protective gear, such as goggles, to protect your eyes from the laser beam. Additionally, laser beams should never be pointed at people or flammable materials, as they can cause serious injury or fire.