Conceptual Question - Newton's Second Law

In summary, an astronaut's safety tether breaks during a space walk near the shuttle and she needs to get back to the shuttle. To do so, she can attempt to "swim" or take slow steps towards the shuttle, throw a tool from her tool belt away from the shuttle, or throw the portion of the safety tether still attached to her belt towards the shuttle. If the astronaut can throw any tool with the same force, the tool with the smallest mass would accelerate the fastest according to Newton's 2nd law. The question is asking which tool should be thrown to get back to the shuttle as quickly as possible, and the answer is the tool with the smallest mass.
PeachBanana

Homework Statement

An astronaut is taking a space walk near the shuttle when her safety tether breaks. What should the astronaut do to get back to the shuttle?

Attempt to "swim" toward the shuttle.
Take slow steps toward the shuttle.
Take a tool from her tool belt and throw it away from the shuttle.
Take the portion of the safety tether still attached to her belt and throw it toward the shuttle.

What I don't understand:

Assuming that the astronaut can throw any tool with the same force, what tool should be thrown to get back to the shuttle as quickly as possible?
The tool with the smallest mass.
The tool with the largest mass.
Any tool, since the mass of the tool would make no difference

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

This is from Online Homework and you can look at hints. I looked at one and this is what it said:

Newton's 2nd law states that . If force is held constant, then acceleration is inversely proportional to mass. For example, when the same force is applied to objects of different mass, the object with the largest mass will experience the smallest acceleration.

So is this saying the actual large tool will not accelerate quickly in comparison to the acceleration that the astronaut would feel because her mass is smaller? I just don't think I have a good grasp of this concept.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi PeachBanana! Welcome to PF! :smile:
PeachBanana said:
So is this saying the actual large tool will not accelerate quickly in comparison to the acceleration that the astronaut would feel because her mass is smaller?

I'm not sure whether, when it says "when the same force is applied to objects of different mass" it means
i] the astronaut applying the same force to two different tools, or
ii] the same (equal and opposite) forces between the astronaut and one tool.

What you've written is correct, as an answer to ii]

But the question is more about situation i], isn't it? :wink:

1. What is Newton's Second Law?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. How is Newton's Second Law applied in real life?

Newton's Second Law is applied in many real-life situations, such as driving a car, throwing a ball, or pushing a shopping cart. It helps us understand how much force is needed to accelerate an object and in which direction.

3. Can you explain the mathematical equation for Newton's Second Law?

The mathematical equation for Newton's Second Law is F = ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. This equation can be rearranged to calculate any of the three variables, given the other two.

4. What is the difference between mass and weight in relation to Newton's Second Law?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Newton's Second Law relates to mass, as it affects an object's acceleration, but not weight.

5. How does Newton's Second Law relate to the other laws of motion?

Newton's Second Law is often referred to as the "law of acceleration" and is closely related to the other two laws of motion. The first law states that an object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion unless acted upon by a net force. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Together, these laws help us understand the motion of objects in the world around us.