Is the direct sum of cyclic p-groups a cyclic group?

In summary: this is equivalent to saying thatx = (a+b)/gcd(a,b), for some constants a,b. and this is a homomorphism, so showing it's surjective is the hard part (which is really the same thing as showing (1,1) generates the direct product).
lugita15
For arbitrary natural numbers a and b, I don't think the direct sum of Z_a and Z_b (considered as additive groups) is isomorphic to Z_ab. But I think if p and q are distinct primes, the direct sum of Z_p^m and Z_q^n is always isomorphic to Z_(p^m * q^n). Am I right? I've been freely using these facts in abstract algebra, but I wanted to make sure they're correct.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You in Advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks Office_Shredder!

as a counter-example Z2 x Z2 is not cyclic, as it has no element of order 4:

(0,0) is of order 1
(1,0) + (1,0) = (0,0)
(0,1) + (0,1) = (0,0)
(1,1) + (1,1) = (0,0)

so all other elements are of order 2.

in fact, it is not hard to show that if G is abelian (and AxB is abelian if A and B are, which is certainly true if A and B are cyclic) that

|xy| ≤ lcm(|x|,|y|), so if gcd(m,n) ≠ 1, then Zm x Zn cannot possibly be isomorphic to Zmn, since there aren't any elements of order mn.

on the other hand, the CRT is equivalent to saying

k → (k (mod m), k (mod n)) is an isomorphism of Zmn with Zm x Zn when gcd(m,n) = 1. this is clearly a homomorphism, so showing it's surjective is the hard part (which is really the same thing as showing (1,1) generates the direct product).

(actually the CRT usually gives the inverse isomorphism, and the construction of the solution to:

x = a mod m
x = b mod n

actually gives us the inverse isomorphism, which is the pre-image of the isomorphism above of (a,b):

x = an[n-1]m + bm[m-1]n (mod mn),

where [n-1]m denotes the inverse of n (mod m), which exists only when gcd(m,n) = 1).

i always knew that that "least common multiple" stuff they made me suffer through in grade school while doing fractions would pay off someday.

lugita15 said:
For arbitrary natural numbers a and b, I don't think the direct sum of Z_a and Z_b (considered as additive groups) is isomorphic to Z_ab. But I think if p and q are distinct primes, the direct sum of Z_p^m and Z_q^n is always isomorphic to Z_(p^m * q^n). Am I right? I've been freely using these facts in abstract algebra, but I wanted to make sure they're correct.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You in Advance.

Even something more general is true!
Indeed, if gcd(a,b)=1, then [itex]\mathbb{Z}_{ab}\cong \mathbb{Z}_a\times \mathbb{Z}_b[/itex]. So the result is not only true for p-groups.

micromass said:
Even something more general is true!
Indeed, if gcd(a,b)=1, then [itex]\mathbb{Z}_{ab}\cong \mathbb{Z}_a\times \mathbb{Z}_b[/itex]. So the result is not only true for p-groups.

and something even more general is true: every abelian group can be decomposed into a direct sum of cyclic groups, which in turn can be decomposed into cyclic p-groups (different p's, of course).

abelian groups are the well-mannered groups that always say please and thank-you. as such, many mathemeticians find them boring, and only ask those hot and unpredictable nonabelian groups out on dates.

try this one:

Z/m x Z/n = Z/gcd x Z/lcm, whenever.

1. What is the definition of a cyclic p-group?

A cyclic p-group is a group in which all elements have a prime order p. This means that the order of every element in the group is a power of p, and there exists an element of order p in the group.

2. What is a direct sum of cyclic p-groups?

A direct sum of cyclic p-groups is a group formed by combining two or more cyclic p-groups together. It is denoted by A ⊕ B, where A and B are cyclic p-groups. The direct sum of cyclic p-groups is also known as the direct product of cyclic p-groups.

3. Is the direct sum of cyclic p-groups always a cyclic group?

No, the direct sum of cyclic p-groups is not always a cyclic group. In fact, it is only a cyclic group if and only if the orders of the cyclic p-groups being combined are relatively prime. If the orders are not relatively prime, then the direct sum will be a non-cyclic group.

4. What is an example of a direct sum of cyclic p-groups that is not a cyclic group?

An example of a direct sum of cyclic p-groups that is not a cyclic group is the direct sum of two cyclic p-groups with the same order. For instance, the direct sum of two cyclic groups of order 4 will result in a non-cyclic group.

5. How can we prove that the direct sum of cyclic p-groups is a cyclic group?

To prove that the direct sum of cyclic p-groups is a cyclic group, we need to show that all elements of the direct sum have the same order. Since the orders of cyclic p-groups are powers of p, if the orders are relatively prime, the direct sum will have an element of order p, making it a cyclic group. Additionally, we can use the fact that the direct sum of cyclic p-groups is isomorphic to the direct product, and we know that the direct product of cyclic groups is always a cyclic group.