Getting Started with Quantum Mechanics: Advice for High School Students

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of quantum mechanics and the best approach for a high school student interested in the subject. The person is unable to take a course in university and is seeking advice on what math background is needed before delving into the subject. The conversation recommends studying Calculus and Linear Algebra, with specific textbook suggestions. For a deeper understanding of QM, books by Hughs, Griffiths, and Ballentine are suggested. The conversation also notes the importance of understanding the philosophy behind QM and recommends the Feynman Lectures on Physics.
lordfox
Hello.

I'm a high school student who is very interested in quantum mechanics. Though, I have certainly not the math background to start studying, and understanding QM fully. I will not be able to take any course relating to this in University, as I'm going in the linguistics and philosophy fields. Therefore, it would be very appreciated if anyone could tell me / advise me on what I shall study and understand (math-wise) before getting into the real subject, and then when I'm past this step, to list me authors and books to read. Books for laymen would also help.

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you need to study Calculus and Linear Algebra. Any Calculus textbook (eg Foester http://www.keypress.com/x5224.xml) would be fine but for the Linear Algebra and Advanced Calculus the book by Hubbard is simply superb:
http://matrixeditions.com/UnifiedApproach3rd.html

The two actual QM books I suggest for a person like you interested in understanding rather than learning to solve problems is the books by Hughs and Griffiths:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0674843924/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521539293/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Once you feel comfortable at that level my favorite book is Ballentine:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/9810241054/?tag=pfamazon01-20

As a person interested in philosophy and not mathematical physics like I am I congratulate you on wanting to learn the real thing rather than the watered down half truths some (not all) philososphy types think is an understanding of QM - it isn't - as you see with some of their posts. Having knowledge of both (ie philososphy and the real machinery of QM) is very importand IMHO in understanding the philosophy correctly.

I attended a philosophy class once where they discussed QM and the misconceptions that floated about was staggering such as quantum systems act of their own accord (they don't any more than a rolled dice does - or to be more careful it is silent on such things) and other ditties way off the mark.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
I agree with bhobba: at least single variable calculus is a must, and some linear algebra would be useful as well. Once you're ready to approach the subject seriously, I recommend Volume III of the Feynman Lectures on Physics. (In fact, the Feynman Lectures are a great source for learning physics in general, because they're both easy to understand and teach you a lot. Feel free to take a look at them even before you're up to speed with the math.) Until then, you can whet your appetite with Feynman's other book QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter, written for popular audiences.

Feynman likes to approach pretty much all subjects in an unconventional way, so if you want a more standard textbook with problems and the like you can try Griffith's introduction to QM.

What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic levels. It explains how particles such as electrons and photons behave and interact with each other.

Why should high school students learn about quantum mechanics?

Learning about quantum mechanics can help high school students develop a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles that govern our universe. It can also prepare them for future studies in physics and other scientific fields.

What are some key concepts in quantum mechanics?

Some key concepts in quantum mechanics include superposition, entanglement, and uncertainty. Superposition refers to the ability of particles to exist in multiple states at the same time, while entanglement describes the correlation between particles that can exist even when they are separated. Uncertainty refers to the limitations in the precision of measuring certain properties of particles.

What are some tips for understanding quantum mechanics?

To better understand quantum mechanics, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus and linear algebra. It is also helpful to read and study the works of influential physicists such as Max Planck, Niels Bohr, and Werner Heisenberg who made significant contributions to the development of quantum mechanics.

How can high school students apply quantum mechanics in their daily lives?

While quantum mechanics may seem abstract and theoretical, it has many practical applications in everyday life. For example, the principles of quantum mechanics are used in the development of technologies such as lasers, transistors, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. Understanding quantum mechanics can also lead to a deeper appreciation and curiosity for the world around us.