Finding the Concentration of H3CO2 in a CO2+H2O reaction.

In summary, the equilibrium constant for the reaction of Carbon Dioxide and water to form Carbonic Acid is 0.030 moles/L. To determine the concentration of Carbonic Acid, the equation [H2CO3]/[CO2][H2O] = 0.039L/mol can be used, but further analysis is needed to calculate the concentration of [H2CO3]. The solubility of Carbon Dioxide in water at 25 degrees C and 100kpa is 1.45g/L, but the partial pressure of CO2 must also be considered. This topic is complex and requires further research for a complete understanding of its effects on ocean chemistry.
miniradman
1. Find the equlibrium constant if there is 0.030moles/L of Carbon Dioxide going in the forward direction and water is in excess to form Carbonic Acid (H2CO3)

Homework Equations

[products]/[reactants] = K

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to figure out how Carbon Dioxide in the atmosphere will affect the chemistry of the oceans. From my research I've found that CO2(g) = CO2(aq) in water is 1.45 g/L where I deduced a equilbrium of 0.030 moles/L. My next step is where I have to figure out how much Carbonic Acid is made (CO2 + H20 = H2CO3) when I know that the equlibrium for the forward direction is 0.039 L/mol. So:

[H2CO3]/[CO2][H2O]

which based on what I know translates to
[H2CO3]/(0.03)[[H2O] = 0.039L/mol

However, L/mol is not the same as mol/L and I need to find the concentration of [H2CO3] because after that I need to figure out the K values for H2CO3 = H++HCO3
and
HCO3 = H++CO3
equilibriums

*sorry, I do apologize but I'm not sure how to get the "reversible reaction" symbol on the physics forums, so I just used an "=" sign :wink:*

ps. I was read on wikipedia that the solubility of Carbon Dioxide is 1.45g/L at 25 degrees C at 100kpa. The pressure, is that including the rest of the atmosphere? or just the carbon dioxide alone? because I've calculate the partial pressure of the CO2to be 11.6139 pa at sea level.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Should I give anymore detail?
More explanation?
More of my working Out?
was the layout incorrect?
... or do people just don't like me...

There are thick books written on the subject. Just carbonic acid is not enough to analyze anything, although you can be sure increasing partial pressure of CO2 lowers water pH. Google for seawater chemistry.

Yes, it's a http://aslo.org/lo/toc/vol_18/issue_6/0897.pdf

Last edited:

Dear researcher,

Thank you for sharing your findings and questions regarding the concentration of H3CO2 in a CO2+H2O reaction. Your research is very relevant, as understanding the chemistry of the oceans is crucial for understanding the effects of increasing atmospheric CO2 levels on our planet.

To address your first question about the equilibrium constant, you are correct that the equation [products]/[reactants] = K is used to calculate the equilibrium constant. In this case, the products are H2CO3 and the reactants are CO2 and H2O. However, it is important to note that the equilibrium constant is not a concentration, but rather a ratio of concentrations. This means that your calculation of 0.030 moles/L for the equilibrium in the forward direction is not the equilibrium constant, but rather the concentration of CO2 in the reaction.

To calculate the equilibrium constant, you will need to know the concentrations of all three species (CO2, H2O, and H2CO3) at equilibrium. This can be determined experimentally or by using an equilibrium expression and solving for the unknown concentration. For example, for the reaction CO2 + H2O = H2CO3, the equilibrium constant expression would be [H2CO3]/([CO2][H2O]). If you know the concentrations of CO2 and H2O at equilibrium, you can solve for the concentration of H2CO3 and then use that value to calculate the equilibrium constant.

Regarding your second question about the equilibrium of H2CO3 = H+ + HCO3- and HCO3- = H+ + CO3^2-, these are known as acid dissociation reactions and are related to the equilibrium constant for the reaction CO2 + H2O = H2CO3. The equilibrium constant for these reactions can be calculated using the same method as mentioned above.

In regards to your question about the solubility of CO2 in water, the value of 1.45 g/L at 25 degrees C and 100 kPa is for pure CO2 gas. This means that the pressure of CO2 alone is 100 kPa, and it does not take into account the rest of the atmospheric gases. However, in a real-world scenario, the partial pressure of CO2 in the atmosphere is around 400 ppm (parts per million), which is equivalent to 0.04 kPa. This is much lower than the sol

1. How do you determine the concentration of H3CO2 in a CO2+H2O reaction?

The concentration of H3CO2 in a CO2+H2O reaction can be determined by performing a titration experiment. This involves adding a known volume of a strong base, such as sodium hydroxide, to the reaction mixture until the solution reaches a neutral pH. The volume of base required for neutralization can then be used to calculate the concentration of H3CO2.

2. What tools are needed to find the concentration of H3CO2 in a CO2+H2O reaction?

To find the concentration of H3CO2 in a CO2+H2O reaction, you will need a burette, a pipette, a pH meter, and a standardized solution of a strong base, such as sodium hydroxide. You will also need a reaction flask and appropriate safety gear, such as goggles and gloves.

3. Can the concentration of H3CO2 be determined without performing a titration?

No, the concentration of H3CO2 cannot be accurately determined without performing a titration. Other methods, such as using a spectrophotometer, can give an estimate of the concentration but are not as reliable as a titration experiment.

4. How does the concentration of H3CO2 affect the overall reaction?

The concentration of H3CO2 affects the overall reaction by influencing the rate at which the reaction occurs. A higher concentration of H3CO2 will result in a faster reaction rate, while a lower concentration will result in a slower rate. The concentration also affects the equilibrium constant of the reaction.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of the concentration of H3CO2 determined by titration?

The accuracy of the concentration of H3CO2 determined by titration can be affected by human error, such as incorrect measurement of volumes, as well as equipment error, such as a malfunctioning burette. The purity of the reactants and the reaction conditions, such as temperature and pressure, can also impact the accuracy of the titration results.