Integral of a closed surface

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of proving that the integral over a closed surface S is equal to 0. The person asking the question has been reading about flux, Stokes' Theorem, and Divergence Theorem but is having trouble relating them to their problem. They ask if their case is a flux problem and if they should use Stokes' Theorem to transform it into a line integral. The expert suggests using the fact that the dot product of two normal vectors is equal to 0 and using the normal form of the divergence theorem to prove the integral is 0. Finally, the conversation concludes with the person thanking the expert for their help and asking for guidance on how to prove the result.
meteorologist1
I've been stuck on the following problem: If S is a closed surface that bounds the volume V, prove that: integral over this surface dS = 0.

I've been reading several textbooks that discuss flux, Stokes' Theorem, Divergence Theorem, but I can't seem to relate them to the problem I'm doing. The examples in the text all have a vector F and present the integral: integral over a surface of F dS, which I understand it as the flux. Is my case a flux problem? There is no vector F given in my problem.

Should I divide the closed surface into two halves and argue that pairs of normal vectors, one from each half cancel and therefore the integral over this surface dS = 0? What about Stokes' Theorem -- transforming it into a line integral?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] \oint\oint_{\partial \Omega} dS=\oint\oint_{\partial\Omega} \vec{n}\cdot \vec{n} dS=\int\int\int_{\Omega} (\nabla\cdot \vec{n}) dV=\int\int\int_{\Omega} 0 dV=0 [/tex]

Okay??I made use of the fact that
[tex] \vec{n}\cdot\vec{n}=n^{2}\cos 0=n^{2}=1 [/tex]
,as unitvectors of the exterior normal to the surface.
Because this unit vector is constant (the director cosines are constants),its flux is zero,because its divergence is zero.

Daniel.

Thanks. Actually there's a slight problem: I forgot to tell you that the dS is a vector in my problem. Yours is a scalar. I'm not sure what the difference here is between integrating a scalar and integrating a vector. I don't think the first equality holds anymore for vector dS. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for your help.

(Show that: [tex] \oint_{S} d\vec{S}=0 [/tex])

Last edited:
Then perhaps it would be a good idea to tell us what the problem really is! You can integrate dS alone (getting surface area) but you can't integrate [itex]\vec{dS}[/itex] alone over a surface: you integrate the its dot product with some vector function.

In dextercioby's [itex]\oint\oint_{\partial\Omega} \vec{n}\cdot \vec{n} dS[/itex],
[itex]\vec{n}dS[/itex] IS the vector [itex]\vec{dS}[/itex].

meteorologist:
It seems to me that you want the VECTOR result:
[tex]\int_{S}d\vec{S}=\int_{S}\vec{n}dS=\vec{0}[/tex]
This is achieved as follows:
[tex]\vec{n}=(\vec{i}\cdot\vec{n})\vec{i}+(\vec{j}\cdot\vec{n})\vec{j}+(\vec{k}\cdot\vec{n})\vec{k}[/tex]
So that we have:
[tex]\int_{S}\vec{n}dS=\int_{S}(\vec{i}\cdot\vec{n})dS\vec{i}+\int_{S}(\vec{j}\cdot\vec{n})dS\vec{j}+\int_{S}(\vec{k}\cdot\vec{n})dS\vec{k}[/tex]
since the unit vectors [tex]\vec{i},\vec{j},\vec{k}[/tex] are constants you may take out of the integral.

Use the normal form of the divergence theorem to get your result.

Thanks. I was looking for the vector result, but it was also helpful to know how the scalar result is proved. I wasn't paying attention to dS as a vector or a scalar when I was first posting it, so sorry once again for the confusion.

Glad to be of assistance; welcome to PF!

how do you prove this?

Prove that [tex]\int\int_{S} n dS = 0 [/tex]

for any closed surface S.

1. What is the concept of an integral of a closed surface?

The integral of a closed surface is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to calculate the flux of a vector field over a three-dimensional surface. It is essentially a way to measure the amount of flow passing through a closed surface.

2. How is the integral of a closed surface different from a regular integral?

The integral of a closed surface is different from a regular integral in that it is calculated over a three-dimensional surface instead of a one-dimensional interval. It also involves vector quantities and requires a different set of mathematical techniques to solve.

3. What are some real-world applications of the integral of a closed surface?

The integral of a closed surface has various applications in physics and engineering. For example, it is used to calculate the electric flux through a closed surface in electromagnetism, or the fluid flow through a pipe in fluid mechanics.

4. How is the integral of a closed surface related to the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem states that the integral of a vector field over a closed surface is equal to the triple integral of the divergence of that vector field over the volume enclosed by the surface. This theorem is often used to simplify the calculation of the integral of a closed surface.

5. Can the integral of a closed surface be negative?

Yes, the integral of a closed surface can be negative. This occurs when the vector field is pointing inward, towards the surface, resulting in a negative flux. However, the magnitude of the flux is always positive, as it represents the amount of flow passing through the surface regardless of direction.