Handicapped people becoming pilot

• Thread starter sameev29
  • Start date
In summary, the person is asking if a handicapped individual can become a pilot for a passenger or cargo airplane. They explain their own physical limitations and ask if they can still become a pilot if they meet all necessary requirements and pass a medical check-up. They are unsure about job opportunities and suggest contacting the local FAA office for more information.
sameev29
Can a handicapped person become a pilot of a passenger or cargo air plane?

I am a male and handicapped.I am lame.My left leg is about an inch smaller than the right and I don't have knee caps on any of my knees.The upper part of left leg(above knee) is thin too.My waist is also different than normal people.It's okay in the inside but due to my legs unbalance it is getting angled in a different position.

I can still walk,as fast as a normal person.I look bad when I walk but I can do it without the need of any instruments.

Can I become a pilot if I do all the necessary things needed.I heard there's a medical check up during the training,will they approve me.Even if they do will I ever get a job anywhere?:(

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to look up your local FAA office and tell them about your specific case. I know that you can get a private license, but I am not sure how it works for commercial pilots.

1. Can handicapped people become pilots?

Yes, handicapped people can become pilots. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has guidelines and requirements for individuals with disabilities who wish to obtain a pilot's license. These guidelines ensure the safety of both the pilot and passengers.

2. What types of disabilities are allowed for pilots?

The FAA allows pilots with a wide range of disabilities, including physical, sensory, and neurological disabilities. Each case is evaluated individually, and accommodations are made based on the specific disability and its impact on the pilot's ability to fly safely.

3. Are there any limitations for handicapped pilots?

Yes, there may be limitations for handicapped pilots depending on their specific disability. The FAA has certain restrictions in place for certain disabilities, such as vision or hearing impairments. However, these limitations can often be accommodated with the use of assistive devices or technology.

4. How do handicapped pilots pass the medical exam?

Handicapped pilots must pass the same medical exam as any other pilot. However, they may need to provide additional documentation or undergo special medical evaluations depending on their disability. The FAA also has designated Aviation Medical Examiners who are trained to evaluate pilots with disabilities.

5. Are there any successful handicapped pilots?

Yes, there are many successful pilots with disabilities. There have been several famous pilots with disabilities, such as Jessica Cox, who was born without arms and became a licensed pilot. The FAA also has a program called the Able Flight Scholarship, which helps individuals with disabilities obtain their pilot's license.