How many ways can 15 players with 4 cars be seated?

In summary, there are 15 players, 4 of whom own a 4-seater car each and will be driving themselves. The remaining 3 players will be seated in the cars in a total of (3n)!/(n!)3 ways, assuming that the seating arrangement within the cars does not matter.
xiphoid

Homework Statement

There are 15 players, out of which 4 players own one 4 seater car each, and the car will be driven by the owner himself. In how many ways can they be seated in the cars?

Homework Equations

(3n)!/(n!)3

The Attempt at a Solution

i know that i have to substitute this equation but i am getting confused where, is how should i arrange the remaining 3 players

Physics news on Phys.org
It isn't clear from your statement of the problem whether you just care about which players get in which car or you also care about where they sit in the car too. In either case I would think about the problem like this: Since each owner drives his own car, you have 3 seats in each car and 11 players to seat. Actually I would think of one more player, Mr. Missing, who occupies an empty seat. Kinda' like the guy in Clint Eastwood's empty chair.

Then I would ask myself, how many ways can 3 players be selected for car A, then for car B, then for car C, then for car D. Then I would consider if I care where they sit once they are in the car.

What is the difference between permutation and combination?

Permutation refers to the arrangement of a set of objects in a specific order, while combination refers to the selection of a subset of objects from a larger set without considering the order.

How do I calculate the number of permutations or combinations?

The number of permutations can be calculated using the formula n!/(n-r)! where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects in each permutation. The number of combinations can be calculated using the formula n!/r!(n-r)!

Can repetition be allowed in permutations and combinations?

Repetition can be allowed in permutations, where an object can be selected more than once in a single permutation. However, repetition is not allowed in combinations, where each object can only be selected once.

What are some real-life applications of permutations and combinations?

Permutations and combinations are used in various fields such as mathematics, computer science, and statistics. Some real-life applications include analyzing data in genetics, designing secure passwords, and creating schedules for events or activities.

Are there any other concepts related to permutations and combinations?

Yes, some related concepts include factorial, binomial coefficients, and multinomial coefficients. These concepts are often used in more advanced calculations involving permutations and combinations.