Particle physics - absorption length

In summary, the percentage of incident photon radiation passing through 5 mm of material with an absorption coefficient of 0.7 mm^-1 can be calculated using the formula T(x) = T(x_0) exp(-\alpha \Delta x), where \Delta x = (x - x_0). The absorption length for a given material is the propagation distance through which a factor {1 - e^(-1)} of the radiation is absorbed. The mean life of the \Delta ^{0} is shorter than that of the \Lambda ^{0} due to the weak force being significantly weaker than the strong force, making weak interactions less likely. The Weiszacker binding energy curve shows that fusion occurs on the left side
JamesJames
1) What percentage of incident photon radiation passes through 5 mm of material whose absorption coefficient is 0.7 mm^-1? What is an absorption length? I am lost here. Any input ...some mathematical formula for the absoprtion coefficient...would be a great help to me.

2) Why is the mean life of the [tex]\Delta ^{0}[/tex] only 10^-23 seconds while that of a [tex]\Lambda ^{0}[/tex] is 2.6 * 10^-10 seconds. HINT: think strengths and its relationship to decay rates. Now, I can show how to get 10^-23 seconds but cannot explain the reasoning behind the question.

James

Physics news on Phys.org
JamesJames said:
1) What percentage of incident photon radiation passes through 5 mm of material whose absorption coefficient is 0.7 mm^-1? What is an absorption length? I am lost here. Any input ...some mathematical formula for the absoprtion coefficient...would be a great help to me.
The fractional change in transmitted radiation T(x) propagating through material having absorption coefficient [tex]\alpha[/tex] is governed by:

[tex] :(1): \ \ \ \ \frac {dT(x)} {T(x)} = -\alpha dx [/tex]

whose solution for incident radiation [tex] T(x_0) \ at \ x_0[/tex] is given by:

[tex] :(2): \ \ \ \ \color{red}T(x) = T(x_0) exp(-\alpha \Delta x) \ \ \ \ \ \ where \ \Delta x = (x - x_0).[/tex]

For this problem, [tex] \alpha = (0.7 \ mm^{-1}) \ \ and \ \Delta x = (5 \ \ mm) [/tex].

The absorption length for a given material is generally defined as the propagation distance through which a factor {1 - e^(-1)} of the radiation is absorbed. Thus, incident radiation T(0), upon propagating through the absorption length, will afterwards have intensity T(0)exp(-1).

~~

Last edited:
2) Why is the mean life of the [tex]\Delta ^{0}[/tex] only 10^-23 seconds while that of a [tex]\Lambda ^{0}[/tex] is 2.6 * 10^-10 seconds. HINT: think strengths and its relationship to decay rates. Now, I can show how to get 10^-23 seconds but cannot explain the reasoning behind the question.
James

The principal decays of the [tex]\Lambda^{0}[/tex] are p[tex]\pi^{-}[/tex] and n[tex]\pi^{0}[/tex]. All of these decay products contain only u & d quarks. The principal decay of the [tex]\Delta^{0}[/tex] is N[tex]\pi[/tex]. This is also just u & d quarks. The [tex]\Lambda[/tex] contains a strange quark, while the [tex]\Delta[/tex] is only u's & d's. So there's a cross-gen interaction involved in the [tex]\Lambda[/tex] decays. Now what is the force responsible for cross-gen interactions called? The name suggests why that decay is much less likely.

Isn' t it the weak force?

Yup - and the weak force is many orders of magnitude weaker than the strong, so weak interactions are waaaay less likely (for rough strength breakup see p. 55 of Griffith's book)

One question about the absorption length. In class out professor ahd done that exact thing which you did for the radiation length. Does the same thing (THE SAME SOLUTION) apply for absorption length?

James

Yes, radiation length is usually equivalent to absorption length. Both refer to the propagation distance in a given material through which the radiation loses a factor {1-e^(-1)}=(63%) of its incident intensity.

~~

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help. It helped me a lot. Now I have one more question. We got a Weiszacker binding energy curve and two regions were identified as being fission (right side) and fusion (left side). I don' t see how this happens...i.e. why is fission on the right and fusion on the left?

James

I think it's that in the middle of the curve you've got the tighest bonding (lowest potential energy), so that's where all nuclei would "like" to be - to the right of that point, decreasing mass number will yield a lower potential energy, while to the left of that point increasing mass number will yield lower potential energy. A reaction will yield net energy to the environs when going from higher to lower potential energy, so on the left you (the environment) can "gain" energy by fusion, on the right by fission, hence the names of the regions.

Don't take me 100% on my word; I'm taking my first particles class at the moment myself (:) I do have the advantage of taking it from Griffiths himself, though). But I think this is right.

1. What is the absorption length in particle physics?

The absorption length in particle physics refers to the distance that a particle can travel through a material before it is absorbed or interacts with the material. It is a measure of how far a particle can travel through a material before losing energy or being scattered.

2. How is the absorption length determined?

The absorption length is determined by performing experiments in which particles are sent through various materials and their interactions are measured. The absorption length can also be calculated using theoretical models and data from previous experiments.

3. What factors affect the absorption length?

The absorption length can be affected by the type of particle, the energy of the particle, and the material it is traveling through. Different materials have different absorption lengths for different types of particles at different energies.

4. Why is the absorption length important in particle physics?

The absorption length is important in particle physics because it can help us understand the properties and behavior of particles as they interact with matter. It is also a crucial factor in designing and operating particle accelerators and detectors.

5. How does the absorption length relate to the concept of cross-section in particle physics?

The absorption length and cross-section are related in that they both describe the probability of a particle interacting with a material. The absorption length is inversely proportional to the cross-section, meaning that a larger cross-section results in a shorter absorption length and vice versa.