Why is hydrogen stable but lepton pairs aren't?

In summary: But in summary, electrons and positrons can easily annihilate due to the uncertainty principle, while protons and electrons do not because they are described by different fields with different mathematical quantities. However, in certain cases, such as electron capture, the annihilation can occur if energy considerations allow it.
Hetware
I probably knew the textbook answer to this at one time, but I don't recall. Feynman states in the beginning of Vol II of the FLP that electrons don't collide into the nucleus due to the uncertainty principle. But an electron positron pair will mutually annihilate.

I suspect the answer has something to do with Bose-Einstein and/or Fermi-Dirac statistics, conservation of quantum numbers, etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have wondered about this too some time ago. From the standpoint of quantum theory of fields, as I understood it, the electron and the positron are described by the same field and the formalism leads to annihilation easily. The proton, however, is described by different field than the electron and the annihilation is not so easy. So, the charge of positron and proton is the same, but otherwise they are represented by different mathematical quantities and this makes the distinction.

Actually, atomic electrons do "collide" with the nucleus if the wave function is nonzero at the origin. In fact, for the ground state (1s orbital) the wave function is maximum at the nucleus!

If energy considerations allow it, this leads to the nuclear decay mode called "electon capture" which has similar results to beta+ decay.

It doesn't happen with hydrogen because you have to supply extra energy in order to make the reaction p + e --> n + neutrino "go".

Jano L. said:
I have wondered about this too some time ago. From the standpoint of quantum theory of fields, as I understood it, the electron and the positron are described by the same field and the formalism leads to annihilation easily. The proton, however, is described by different field than the electron and the annihilation is not so easy. So, the charge of positron and proton is the same, but otherwise they are represented by different mathematical quantities and this makes the distinction.

I hate those kinds of "explanations"! It always seems like: "it works that way, because that's the way it works." Not to say that yours is not the answer I asked for.

I guess one might argue that the pair annihilation takes place in a fuzzy enough space-time region as to not violate the uncertainty principle. Regarding the electron and the proton, the reason they don't annihilate is that certain quantum numbers wouldn't preserved. Such answers always frustrate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHx00XG6-jU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr8sVailoLw

jtbell said:
Actually, atomic electrons do "collide" with the nucleus if the wave function is nonzero at the origin. In fact, for the ground state (1s orbital) the wave function is maximum at the nucleus!

If energy considerations allow it, this leads to the nuclear decay mode called "electon capture" which has similar results to beta+ decay.

It doesn't happen with hydrogen because you have to supply extra energy in order to make the reaction p + e --> n + neutrino "go".

Thanks. I didn't know that.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nuclear/radact2.html#c3

So a neutrino is the soul of a dying electron?

I hate those kinds of "explanations"! It always seems like: "it works that way, because that's the way it works." Not to say that yours is not the answer I asked for.

I have no idea which explanation you asked for, but I tried to give you one I know. Actually I am not very much satisfied by the above explanation either. However, I do not believe it is of the kind you indicated. There is some non-trivial mathematical difference in the description of proton and positron in QFT and this is connected to the different behaviour of the couples proton-electron and positron-electron.

Of course, no explanation is ever perfect, one can always go on step further and ask why.

1. Why is hydrogen considered stable?

Hydrogen is considered stable because it has a full outermost electron shell, consisting of only one electron. This makes it energetically favorable for hydrogen to maintain its current structure, rather than lose or gain electrons to form bonds with other atoms.

2. What makes lepton pairs unstable?

Lepton pairs, such as an electron and positron, are unstable because they are not in their lowest energy state. They have excess energy and will eventually decay into more stable particles in order to reach a lower energy state.

3. How does the stability of hydrogen relate to its atomic structure?

The stability of hydrogen is directly related to its atomic structure. With only one electron in its outermost shell, hydrogen is considered to have a stable electron configuration, and is therefore stable itself.

4. What role do forces play in the stability of hydrogen and lepton pairs?

The stability of hydrogen and lepton pairs is determined by the balance of forces within the atom or particle. The electromagnetic force is responsible for holding the electron in orbit around the nucleus in hydrogen, while the weak nuclear force is responsible for the decay of lepton pairs.

5. Can hydrogen ever become unstable?

While hydrogen is considered stable in its natural state, it can become unstable under extreme conditions such as high temperatures or pressures. At these extremes, hydrogen can lose its electron and become ionized, making it more reactive and potentially unstable.