Frames of reference & Inertial frames

In summary: II has a great summary of Special Relativity. If you want to learn more, search this topic on Google.
i've just started studying these but unfortunatley I've been unable to get my hands on the textbook, and my lecturer is... not that great :frown:

Could somebody explain what these are to me? I have little to no idea about them as of now... maybe a few sample questions too? That would be a huuuuuge help.

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
This deals with Special Relativity. Although it is also used in mechanics. For example, if a passenger is in a train, and there is a person outside the train watching it go by, then to the person outside the train, the passenger is moving in his frame of reference, while for the passenger, the train is not moving at all and the person standing outside the train is the one who is moving. The passanger inside the train is in the internal frame of reference. To each other, the other person is moving. Be careful though, neither person is wrong about their point of view. It is a little confusing once you get into Special Relativity, but this is a simple example.
If you want to learn more, look search this topic on Goggle.

Regards,

Nenad

... said:
i've just started studying these but unfortunatley I've been unable to get my hands on the textbook, and my lecturer is... not that great :frown:

Could somebody explain what these are to me? I have little to no idea about them as of now... maybe a few sample questions too? That would be a huuuuuge help.
A frame of reference is defined by a mass. All spatial points in the universe can be described as coordinates x,y,z relative to an origin at the mass' centre of mass. The time of events in the universe can be expressed as times as measured by a clock situated at the origin.

An inertial frame of reference is a frame of reference defined by a mass that is not accelerating: ie there are no forces acting on it.

AM

1) What is a frame of reference?

A frame of reference is a coordinate system used to describe the position and motion of objects. It can be thought of as a point of view from which observations and measurements are made.

2) How do frames of reference affect our perception of motion?

Frames of reference are important in understanding motion because our perception of an object's motion can vary depending on the frame of reference we use. For example, an object may appear to be moving at a constant velocity in one frame of reference, but appear to be accelerating in another.

3) What is an inertial frame of reference?

An inertial frame of reference is a frame of reference in which Newton's first law of motion holds true. This means that objects at rest will remain at rest and objects in motion will continue to move in a straight line at a constant speed, unless acted upon by an external force.

4) How do we determine if a frame of reference is inertial?

A frame of reference is considered inertial if it is not accelerating and there are no external forces acting on it. This means that objects within the frame of reference will follow Newton's laws of motion.

5) Why is it important to consider frames of reference in scientific experiments?

Considering frames of reference is crucial in scientific experiments because it allows us to accurately describe and understand the motion of objects. Different frames of reference may result in different observations and measurements, so it is important to carefully choose the appropriate frame of reference for each experiment.