Power in resistive load following rectifier

In summary, the conversation revolves around the effective voltage of an idealized full-wave rectification and whether it is simply the rms voltage. There is a discussion about using average DC voltage to calculate power in a resistive load following a rectifier, with the questioner questioning the correctness of this approach. There is also a mention of textbooks containing errors and the need for clarification on the term "effective voltage". The expert suggests that in this case, the term may refer to average voltage rather than rms voltage. Finally, the questioner acknowledges the missing factor and clarifies that in their course, "effective" is equated with rms.
pvshackguy

Homework Statement

Simple question: is the effective voltage of an idealised full-wave rectification not simply the rms voltage, as it is with the original AC waveform?

Backgound...

In an electrical apprentice program I am being instructed to use average DC voltage to calculate power in a resistive load following a rectifier e.g. full-wave bridge. This is the idealized case; no diode drops and no filter.

Surely this is incorrect(?) I can't see why we shouldn't still use rms.

Our textbooks have some egregious errors, and so it's plausible that this is another. It's been decades since I took some engineering and my texts and notes are not at hand, though, and despite searching articles I can't find clear backup for my instincts here.

A link would help.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
pvshackguy, people tend to be loose with the term "power". You are correct that the power in a resistive load is unchanged by interposing an ideal full-wave rectifier.

But the questioner may be envisaging something that responds to the average value, such as an electromagnet or DC motor, or electrolysis or battery-charging, etc., even though he then framed the question in terms of a resistive load. It the load has significant inductance (and many industrial loads do) then that acts as an averaging filter. So even though on the face of it, it does seem wrong, there may be some explanation behind it which is being glossed over so as to not complicate things at this introductory stage.

In isolation, the term "effective voltage" means nothing to me. It's situational specific, I'd say. :smile:

I understand average voltage. I understand RMS voltage.

NascentOxygen said:
pvshackguy, people tend to be loose with the term "power". You are correct that the power in a resistive load is unchanged by interposing an ideal full-wave rectifier.

But the questioner may be envisaging something that responds to the average value, such as an electromagnet or DC motor, or electrolysis or battery-charging, etc., even though he then framed the question in terms of a resistive load. It the load has significant inductance (and many industrial loads do) then that acts as an averaging filter. So even though on the face of it, it does seem wrong, there may be some explanation behind it which is being glossed over so as to not complicate things at this introductory stage.

In isolation, the term "effective voltage" means nothing to me. It's situational specific, I'd say. :smile:

I understand average voltage. I understand RMS voltage.

Ahhhh... This is the missing factor I was looking for. I'm very grateful.

BTW in our course "effective" is equated with rms. Sorry to have accepted this definition at face value. :-) It's hard to tell what to trust when the principle text contains statements like "The joule is the SI equivalent of the watt." Sad.

1. What is a resistive load?

A resistive load is an electrical component or device that converts electrical energy into heat, without any significant changes in its resistance. Examples of resistive loads include heating elements, incandescent light bulbs, and resistors.

2. What is a rectifier?

A rectifier is an electrical device that converts alternating current (AC) into direct current (DC). It typically consists of diodes that allow current to flow in only one direction, resulting in a pulsating DC output.

3. How does a power in resistive load following rectifier work?

A power in resistive load following rectifier works by converting AC power into DC power, and then adjusting the DC voltage to match the resistance of the load. This ensures that the load receives the correct amount of power, without being overloaded or underloaded.

4. What is the importance of power in resistive load following rectifier?

The power in resistive load following rectifier is important because it ensures that the load receives the correct amount of power, without being damaged. It also helps to improve the efficiency of the electrical system, as it reduces power losses and improves power factor.

5. What are some common applications of power in resistive load following rectifier?

Power in resistive load following rectifier is commonly used in electronic devices, such as computers, televisions, and other household appliances. It is also used in industrial applications, such as in welding machines, battery chargers, and motor drives.