Blackfish Documentary - Seaworld & Tilikum's Story

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the documentary "Blackfish" is a deep and disturbing look at the life of a killer whale in a zoological setting and the tragedy that befell a trainer at Seaworld. Many parts of the film are emotional, and it is hard to watch. While SeaWorld may not be evil, the documentary makes you think about the issues raised.
Just got done watching Blackfish. Documentary on Seaworld and the Orca "Tilikum" who a couple years ago killed the trainer. It was extremely interesting and amazing how deep/disturbing the story is. I think it's worth the watch. Many parts are emotional and it's hard to watch. I can't say Seaworld is evil, but it makes you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OEjYquyjcg

Physics news on Phys.org
This CNN story gives Seaworlds response to the "documentary".

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/21/us/seaworld-blackfish-qa/

"Blackfish is billed as a documentary, but instead of a fair and balanced treatment of a complex subject, the film is inaccurate and misleading and, regrettably, exploits a tragedy that remains a source of deep pain for Dawn Brancheau's family, friends and colleagues. To promote its bias that killer whales should not be maintained in a zoological setting, the film paints a distorted picture that withholds from viewers key facts about SeaWorld ..."

dlgoff said:
This CNN story gives Seaworlds response to the "documentary".

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/21/us/seaworld-blackfish-qa/

That's exactly the response you'd expect. I had the pleasure of spending 3 weeks with the trainer for Keiko (Free Willy). From my discussions with the trainer, Blackfish is credible.

They do make a good case for their research involvement from the cited references.

"i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2013/images/10/11/killer.whale.bibliography.10.08.13.pdf"

"i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2013/images/10/11/killer.whale.sea..hubbs.collaboration.pdf"

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched the documentary after reading this thread. I found the separation of trainer and managment very interesting with regard to the business decisions as well as to the whales themselves, and was actually appauled with how poorly those animals are treated. With the emotional intelligence these animals seem to have it's no wonder they can be triggered so easily after all they go through and how deprived their lives become. While I admire the obvious relationships we as humans can develope with these beasts, it still strikes me as unnatural, and by the end of the documentary am left with no sympathy for the people involved in the tragic events displayed in the documentary eventhough part of me says I'd have put a slug into Tilikum's brain.

1. What is the main focus of the Blackfish documentary?

The main focus of the Blackfish documentary is to shed light on the controversial treatment and captivity of killer whales, specifically Tilikum, at SeaWorld parks. It also explores the impact of captivity on the physical and mental well-being of these animals, as well as the safety of trainers who work with them.

2. How does the documentary present SeaWorld's treatment of killer whales?

The documentary presents SeaWorld's treatment of killer whales as inhumane and unethical. It highlights the separation of calves from their mothers, confinement in small tanks, and use of food deprivation as training methods. It also discusses the physical and psychological effects of captivity on these animals, such as collapsed dorsal fins and aggressive behavior.

3. What is the controversy surrounding Tilikum's involvement in the death of trainer Dawn Brancheau?

Tilikum was involved in the deaths of three people, including trainer Dawn Brancheau, while in captivity at SeaWorld. The controversy lies in whether or not Tilikum's aggression towards humans was a result of his captivity and mistreatment, or if it was a natural behavior for a wild animal. The documentary suggests that his captivity played a significant role in his behavior.

4. Has SeaWorld responded to the allegations made in the documentary?

Yes, SeaWorld has responded to the allegations made in the documentary, stating that it is misleading and contains false information. They have also defended their treatment of killer whales and claimed that the animals receive proper care and attention. However, the controversy and public backlash following the release of the documentary led to significant changes in SeaWorld's practices, including the end of their orca breeding program.

5. What impact has the Blackfish documentary had on the public's perception of SeaWorld and killer whales in captivity?

The Blackfish documentary has had a significant impact on the public's perception of SeaWorld and killer whales in captivity. It has sparked debates and conversations about the ethics of keeping these animals in captivity for entertainment purposes. It also led to a decline in attendance and revenue for SeaWorld and a decrease in support for keeping killer whales in captivity. The documentary has also brought attention to the issue of animal welfare and prompted changes in laws and regulations regarding the treatment of captive animals.