I had a beach ball and i deflated it as much as i could. theni tried

• Thread starter Someone502
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, when trying to open a deflated beach ball that has been sealed shut, it would be difficult to do so due to the pressure difference between the inside and outside of the ball. This is because when you suck out all the air and close it, the pressure inside drops and cannot counter the outside pressure. You would need to add air back into the ball in order to open it.
Someone502
i had a beach ball and i deflated it as much as i could. theni tried to open it after i closed the opening. i couldnt. why and what would happen if i pulled on it from lots of sides?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If you sucked out all the air from it and shut it, then tried to pull out the sides, the pressure due to the atmosphere would make it extremely difficult to do so, since the pressure inside drops as you try to expand the volume. You are basically inducing a vacuumous (is that a word?) region.

Yes whozum is right.

Basically, when you are sucking air from it as much as you can, you are trying to create the conditions for vacuum.As the air leaves the ball , the pressure inside keeps on reducing and as a result it ends up getting so less that it possibly cannot counter the outside pressure and will no even "open a bit" unless you induce some air back into it.

1. How does deflating a beach ball affect its size and shape?

Deflating a beach ball will cause it to decrease in size and lose its round shape. As the air is released from the beach ball, the elastic material will collapse on itself, resulting in a flatter and more compressed shape.

2. What happens to the air inside the beach ball when it is deflated?

The air inside the beach ball will be released through the valve as it is deflated. This is because the air pressure inside the beach ball is higher than the outside air pressure, causing the air to flow out of the ball until the pressures equalize.

3. Why does the beach ball become more difficult to deflate as it gets closer to being fully deflated?

The beach ball becomes more difficult to deflate as it nears full deflation because the air inside is under less pressure. This means that there is less force pushing the air out of the valve, making it harder to remove the remaining air.

4. Can a beach ball be fully deflated?

Yes, a beach ball can be fully deflated by removing all of the air from inside. However, the beach ball may still retain some of its shape and size due to the material it is made of.

5. What is the purpose of deflating a beach ball?

Deflating a beach ball can serve multiple purposes, such as making it easier to store or transport, reducing the risk of it rolling away or blowing away in windy conditions, or simply for the fun and satisfaction of watching it deflate.