My Semester: A Look Into My Academic Year

In summary, the conversation involves college and university students discussing their current academic schedules. Some are entering their last year of their master's program, while others are in their second or third year of undergraduate studies. The courses being taken cover a wide range of subjects including physics, mathematics, literature, and history. Some students also mention their extracurricular activities like playing soccer or taking piano lessons. There is also a brief mention of a class on the history of toothpicks, which some students find interesting.
Kalimaa23
Greetings,

For a while I've been doing this little thing where everyone goes on and describes their semester for all to see.

I'm a little late this time for those in the US, but the academic year over here only starts next week.

I'll go first : I'm entering my last year of my master this year (woot!). The courseload for this semester will be :

General Relativity & Application in Cosmology
Elementary Particle Physics Theory : the Standard Model
Quantum Field Theory : Functional Quantisation
Mathematical Methods of Physics II : Integral Equations

In addition, my advisor has already given quite some stuff to read (like Weinberg's GR book, and Green, Schwarz & Witten's book on String Theory :eek: ).

So, fellow college students, what are you up to this semester?

Physics news on Phys.org
Economics, Sociology, Philosophy, English

I'm on the second year of my Physical Geography Masters.
My modlues are:
Core skills in physical geography (experimental, labwork and fieldwork techniques.)
Physical environment (Landforms and landform processes)
Sedimentology.
People, land and time (Recent landscape development encompassing human and physical processes)

I'm taking Operating Systems, Advanced Programming in Java, Data Structures and Algorithms, and Ordinary Differential Equations. It's been more than two weeks since the quarter started, and I've only been to 3 or 4 classes :smile:

Sophmore astrophysics and math majors.
Calc 4: advanced calc, Fundmentals of math theory: (intro to set theory, number theory group theory... ect..) Complex Variables Calc, Physics: Mechanics, Physics lab, Physics Colliqium, and Brave New World, (a comp lit course.)

... full course load, :yuck:

2nd year university:

Advanced Electrodynamics
Statistical Mechanics
Modern physics lab.
Algebraic Topology
Russian language

:confused:

Calculus II w/Analytical Geometry (I'm currently failing this class :cry: , we've only had three quizes but I failed two of them. Just a bunch of crazy integrals I tell ya!)
Discovering Physics
General Physics B w/o Lab
Freshman Composition and Rhertoric
Ancient Mythology

3rd year.

Intro to astronomy
Intro to Java
Discrete Structures
Abstract Algebra 1

rachmaninoff said:
2nd year university:

Advanced Electrodynamics
Statistical Mechanics
Modern physics lab.
Algebraic Topology
Russian language

Statistical Mechanics? Algebraic Topology? I knew Russian universities were tough, but DAMN! :bugeye:

Dimitri Terryn said:
Statistical Mechanics? Algebraic Topology? I knew Russian universities were tough, but DAMN! :bugeye:

I'm not in Russia, I'm learning Russian the language.

rachmaninoff said:
2nd year university:

Advanced Electrodynamics
Statistical Mechanics
Modern physics lab.
Algebraic Topology
Russian language

You're nuts...

Are you working towards a second degree or what?

Townsend said:
You're nuts...

Are you working towards a second degree or what?

I don't see what the fuss is about. This is an undergraduate schedule, in which subjects are watered-down and the matter condensed into a semester (half-year). Everyone should study topology.

rachmaninoff said:
I don't see what the fuss is about. This is an undergraduate schedule, in which subjects are watered-down and the matter condensed into a semester (half-year). Everyone should study topology.

I'll cover all those things too...but not in my second year...

What do you plan to take for the next two years after this year is done?

rachmaninoff said:
I would love to take topology next semester, but it probably won't work with my schedule. :frown:

Right now: High School Senior, taking Abstract Algebra.

Thats because at a lot of foreign universities you don't have to take courses outside of your field or that are related to your field. Most US institutions emphasize a liberal arts education and breadth. There is no way a normal college US soph would be doing algebraic topology they would be studying something like literature, philosophy, ethics, humanities etc. instead.

Year 2, Level 1;

Dynamics, Vibrations and Waves
Electricity and Magnetism
Introduction to Astronomy and Cosmology
Thermal Physics
Experimental Techniques I (20 credit points)
Experimental Techniques II
Introduction to the Analysis of Scientific Data and Modelling of Physical Systems

Archon said:
I would love to take topology next semester, but it probably won't work with my schedule. :frown:

Right now: High School Senior, taking Abstract Algebra.

Do you attend a private school? I only ask because I find it hard to believe very many California high school math teachers are capable of teaching through calculus III let alone abstract algebra or topology. That and there would hardly be enough high school students enrolled in such classes to justify their existence. And for that matter...why are you still in high school? You should be in college...

Townsend said:
Do you attend a private school? I only ask because I find it hard to believe very many California high school math teachers are capable of teaching through calculus III let alone abstract algebra or topology. That and there would hardly be enough high school students enrolled in such classes to justify their existence.
I go to a public high school, but I take this class at UC Berkeley after school on Tuesdays and Thursdays. That's also why I probably won't be able to take topology next semester: it would have to start at or after 3:00 pm, and that's not very likely.

And for that matter...why are you still in high school? You should be in college...
I'm only this far ahead in math. And I wouldn't skip any years of high school even if I had the chance. Its just too much fun. :smile:

Second year masters program:

Aeroelasticity (how aircraft structures react when subjected to aerodynamic loads)
Engineering Optimization

and of course, the everpresent research.

hehe Physics junior..

Art History
Social Psychology
History of film

its going to be tough!

Physics: E&M
Calc III
Engineering Graphics
Soccer
Beginning Piano

Ba said:
Beginning Piano
Ha, newb. :tongue:

Smurf said:
BaHa said:
Beginning Piano
Ha, newb. :tongue:

Ha, two newbs. :tongue: :tongue:

This term I have...

Calc. III
Linear Algebra II
Applied Abstract Algebra
Introduction to Combinatorics

I dropped my Finance class.

whozum said:
hehe Physics junior..

Art History
Social Psychology
History of film

its going to be tough!

You poor thing... :wink:

whozum said:
hehe Physics junior..

Art History
Social Psychology
History of film

its going to be tough!
What!? You're not taking History of the Toothpick? You're missing out. 'Tis the best class ever. :wink:

Fascinating stuff: did you know that the first toothpick manufacturing machine was patented on February 20, 1872? You'll never know these things unless you take History of the Toothpick (or unless you have access to a dictionary, an encyclopedia, a library, the internet, a phone, or the prophecies of Nostradamus).

Early British Lit, Literature of Love (advanced analysis class), Pre-Socratic Greek Thought and Language, Philosophy Seminar, German, and service credit for mentoring elementary school kids that are below grade level in reading. I also started an Irish language study group. Probably sounds easy to you guys, but personally I find math and physics just as easy, and at least the seminars give me a reason to actually go to class. Full load this semester; they let me take 22 credits.

1. What is "My Semester: A Look Into My Academic Year"?

"My Semester: A Look Into My Academic Year" is a personal reflection on an academic year, typically written by a student. It may include details about courses, extracurricular activities, personal growth, and overall experiences during the semester.

2. Why is it important to document a semester?

Documenting a semester allows for self-reflection and assessment of academic progress and personal growth. It can also serve as a helpful tool for future planning and goal setting.

3. What should be included in a semester reflection?

A semester reflection should include an overview of courses taken, experiences and challenges faced, accomplishments, and personal growth. It can also include thoughts on future plans and goals.

4. Can a semester reflection be used for academic purposes?

Yes, a semester reflection can be used for academic purposes. It can be used as a part of a final project or as evidence of personal growth in a class. It may also be required by some programs or courses.

5. Is there a specific structure or format for a semester reflection?

There is no specific structure or format for a semester reflection. It can be written in any style or format that best reflects the individual's experiences and thoughts. However, it is important to include details and be honest in the reflection.