Introducing LaTeX Math Typesetting

In summary, Physicsforums.com has introduced the addition of LaTeX mathematical typesetting to their forum software. This professional-grade typesetting system allows for pleasing mathematical presentation and can be included in any post on the forum. Users can include LaTeX graphics by using the [ tex ]...[ /tex ] or [ itex ]...[ /itex ] tags, with the latter being used for inline graphics. The forum provides a pdf file and symbol reference for the most useful LaTeX commands, symbols, and constructs. The amsmath package is also available for more information. Examples of various techniques are provided, including subscripts, superscripts, and equations. Users can also use the [ tex usepackage= ] tag to include additional packages.
Testing...

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog who could not get images to upload properly.

Attachments

• talus.jpg
    talus.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 348
Physics news on Phys.org
Testing...

[tex]\Vec{v}(x,y,z)=\frac{1}{x^2+y^2+z^2}(x\Vec{i}+y\Vec{j}+z\Vec{k})[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial v_x}{\partial x} =-\frac{2x^2}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^2}+\frac{1}{x^2+y^2+z^2}= \frac{-2x^2}{r^4} + \frac{1}{r^2}[/tex]

In the same way,

[tex]\frac{\partial v_y}{\partial y} =-\frac{2y^2}{r^4}+\frac{1}{r^2}[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{\partial v_z}{\partial z} =-\frac{2z^2}{r^4}+\frac{1}{r^2}[/tex]

The divergence is

[tex] \mbox{Div}(\Vec{v})=\frac{\partial v_x}{\partial x} +\frac{\partial v_y}{\partial y} +\frac{\partial v_z}{\partial z}= [/tex]

[tex]=\frac{-2x^2-2y^2-2z^2}{r^4}+\frac{3}{r^2}=\frac{-2r^2}{r^4}+\frac{3}{r^2}=\frac{1}{r^2}[/tex]

It is the function
[tex]\Vec{v}(\Vec{r}) = \frac{\Vec{r}}{r^3}[/tex]
whose divergence is zero everywhere except at the origin.

Test

[tex]\vec F = m \vec a[/tex]

test:
[tex]F = ma[/tex]

Does anyone know of other math or physics forums similar to this forum that also uses LaTex?
Where can I purchase a comprehensive commercial LaTex CD for installing and using LaTex on a home PC?

TeX and LaTeX are free software. I think what you probably want is MikTeX:

http://www.miktex.org/

Others, correct me if I'm wrong; I don't have any experience with TeX on Windows (I use Debian GNU/Linux).

I have MikTex v2.4 installed, and have read the documentation.

On Windows it appears to use a DOS based command format to compile various formats for various applications.

Can anyone demonstrate how to compile my first equation using Windows MikTex similar to how Physics Forums does this?

Just testing:

[tex] f(x) = \frac{ \int_{-\infty}^\infty \sin(x^2)\,dx}{\Gamma(x)} [/tex]

DVI sky...

I figured out how to compile equations into a DVI file.

I found the following command:
\includegraphics{filename}

Anyone know of a convertor program to convert DVI format to PNG graphics format?

There is a program called 'dvi2png', however I could not locate a download or determine the capabilities of this program.

There is a program located in the miktex bin file called 'dvipng.exe' that can convert .dvi to .png format, however despite the comprehensiveness of this program, failed to properly convert a miktex generated .dvi file. The resulting output .pdf file was not legible. Therefore, 'dvipng.exe' does not support miktex .dvi.

Reference:
http://css.ait.iastate.edu/WP/Latex/Thesis/HTML/Isuthesis/node47.html#math [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
To use \includegraphics, you probably need to put \usepackage{graphicx} in the preamble of your LaTeX document, right after the \documentclass line.

If you're compiling your documents with the latex command, you need to convert your pictures to encapsulated Postscript (eps) before including them. If you're using the pdflatex command, I think you should be able to use JPEGs and PNGs directly.

\include{Universe}

TALewis said:
To use \includegraphics, you probably need to put \usepackage{graphicx} in the preamble of your LaTeX document, right after the \documentclass line.

If you're compiling your documents with the latex command, you need to convert your pictures to encapsulated Postscript (eps) before including them. If you're using the pdflatex command, I think you should be able to use JPEGs and PNGs directly.

Code:
\documentclass{}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\begin{document}
\includegraphics{filename}
\end{document}

This is absolutely correct. The MikTex DOS compiler will only accept the \usepackage{graphicx} command immediately after the \documentclass command.

I was able to include .jpg, .bmp and .png graphics directly using miktex with a .bb (bounding box) file, however the 'ebb.exe' file used to create .bb files produces incorrect file dimensions which results in the miktex equations 'eating into' the graphics box. Also, the 'ebb.exe' file does not support .bmp, however I was still able to manually create a .bb .bmp file. Note that some .bmp filters are not supported by miktex .dvi format, I suspect the same may be true for .jpg and .png also.

I was able to correct this error manually using a photoviewer that displays the correct graphics dimensions and manually editing the .bb file with the correct numbers.

'bmeps.exe' is the program that converts .jpg and .png pictures to .eps format.

'bmeps.exe' does create a .bb file with the correct graphics dimensions. However, 'bmeps.exe' does not support .bmp format.

'bmeps.exe' is able to convert .tif files into .eps format, however produces a warning of 'unknown field tag 34337 (0*8649) ignored', however still worked.

I noticed the .ps.gz and .eps examples listed in the miktex graphics folder.

I note that the .ps.gz format does appear to be impressive.

Is there any way to override the equation numbering sequencer to produce custom generated equation numbers?

Reference:
http://bmeps.sourceforge.net/faq.html#baswhich [Broken]

.dvi/.png convertor...

There is a program located in the miktex bin file called 'dvipng.exe' that can convert .dvi to .png format.

I have tested this program and has passed testing, very impressive program, works fine.

This PDF might have a solution to overriding the default equation numbering:

http://www.ee.mu.oz.au/staff/cantoni/docs/amsldoc.pdf [Broken]

Section 3.1 says that with the amsmath package (\usepackage{amsmath}), you can provide your own equation number or symbol with the \tag{label} command.

[tex]
{\lfloor}\int_{4}^{4+4} cosh (\theta + \theta + \theta){\rfloor}
[/tex]

Last edited:
Just seeing if I am doing it right...

[tex] E = 1/2mv^2 [/tex]

\begin{Big Bang}

TALewis said:
This PDF might have a solution to overriding the default equation numbering:

http://www.ee.mu.oz.au/staff/cantoni/docs/amsldoc.pdf [Broken]

Section 3.1 says that with the amsmath package (\usepackage{amsmath}), you can provide your own equation number or symbol with the \tag{label} command.
This is a solution to overriding the default equation numbering.

However, the \tag{label} command must be declared after the \begin{equation*} command within the internal equation environment. To my knowledge, the miktex compiler will not accept this command outside an equation environment. There may be other internal environments that the \tag{label} command may be accepted, this requires further research discovery.

The correct source code is:
Code:
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\begin{document}

\begin{equation*}
\tag{label}
E_1 = mc^2
\end{equation*}

\end{document}
[tex]E_1 = mc^2 \; \; \; \; \; \; \tag{label}[/tex]

KaneOris, your source code is:
Code:
[!tex] E = 1/2mv^2 [!/tex]
However, this can be interpreted as a reciprocal!:
[tex] E = \frac{1}{2mv^2} [/tex]

It also helps to place a subscript tag on the E for mathematical proof and tracking purposes because several different types of energies can be involved, [tex]E_k[/tex] for Kinetic Energy or some other subscript tag.

Try using the fraction command \frac{numerator}{denominator}:
Code:
[!tex] E_k = \frac{mv^2}{2} [!/tex]
[!tex] E_k = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 [!/tex]
[tex] E_k = \frac{mv^2}{2} [/tex]
[tex] E_k = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 [/tex]

Reference:
http://www.emerson.emory.edu/services/latex/latex_toc.html

Quaternions ?
[tex]\mathbb{H}[/tex]
[tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex]
ok, never mind... :smile:

[tex] \frac{\pi}{{3^{i\pi}}}=\gamma[/tex]

:cry:
I can't see the tex code when I click on the examples

Excuse me , just for fun

[tex]
\begin{align*}
\nabla \times \vec E = -\frac{\partial \vec B}{\partial t}
\\
\nabla \times \vec H = \vec J +\frac{\partial \vec D}{\partial t}
\end{align*}
[/tex]

lanjarote,

You might need to set your popup-blocker software to allow pf to show popups.

- Warren

Here is the complete help command list for the 'dvipng.exe' file. On Windows, some of the first commands displayed are 'cut off' by the DOS window. This is the complete list displayed by the 'dvipng.exe -help' command.

dvipng.exe help data:

Code:
dvipng.exe -help

Usage: %s [OPTION]... FILENAME[.dvi]
Options are chosen to be similar to dvips' options where possible:
-D #         Output resolution
-l #         Last page to be output
--mode s     MetaFont mode (default 'cx')
-M*          Don't make PK fonts
-o f         Output file, '%%d' is pagenumber
-O c         Image offset
-p #         First page to be output
-pp #,#..    Page list to be output
-q*          Quiet operation
-r*          Reverse order of pages
-T c         Image size (also accepts '-T bbox' and '-T tight')
-v*          Verbose operation
-x #         Override dvi magnification
-            Interactive query of options

These do not correspond to dvips options:
-bd #        Transparent border width in dots
-bdpi #      Set the base (Metafont) resolution
-bg s        Background color (TeX-style color)
--depth*     Output the image depth on stdout
--dvinum*    Use TeX page numbers in output filenames
-fg s        Foreground color (TeX-style color)
--follow*    Follow mode
--height*    Output the image height on stdout
--truecolor* Truecolor output
-Q #         Quality (T1lib and PK subsampling)
-z #         PNG compression level

# = number   f = file   s = string  * = suffix, '0' to turn off

c = comma-separated dimension pair (e.g., 3.2in,-32.1cm)

Does anyone here have a hyperlink to a comprehensive file that has descriptions for each of these commands and some sourcecode examples?

Last edited:
Sorry for the easy question, but I can't find how to make an approximation symbol (the squiggly equals sign).

Try this one [tex]\approx[/tex]

Yes, I d/led that pdf but I was having some trouble with acrobat. I think it is better now though. Thanks.

test

[tex] a= \fraq{b}{x} [/tex]

Last edited:
[tex]\frac{1}{5+2}[/tex]

Last edited:
[tex] Vosin45-gt=0 [/tex]

[tex] Vosin45=gt [/tex]

[tex] t= \frac{Vosin45}{g} [/tex]

since you need to muliply by 2
[tex] t= \frac {\frac{2\frac{2\sqrt{2}Vo}{2}\frac{2\sqrt{2}Vo}{2}\frac{2\sqrt{2}Vo}{2}\sqrt{2}Vo}{2}\frac{2\sqrt{2}Vo}{2}\frac{2\sqrt{2}Vo}{2}\frac{2\sqrt{2}Vo}{2} }{g}[/tex]

[tex] t= \frac{Vo\sqrt{2}}{g} [/tex]

Last edited:
From now on, please use the "Post Preview" feature to test your LaTeX, rather than wasting server space by posting it here. Please post any additional questions about our LaTeX system to the Feedback forum. Please post any additional questions about LaTeX itself to the General Technology Forum.

- Warren

testing...
[tex]
\begin{array}{r l r l}
u &= \ln x \quad & dv &= x\,dx \\
du &= \frac{1}{x}\,dx & v &= \frac{1}{2} x^2
\end{array}
[/tex]

[tex]
\begin{array}{r l r l}
sqrt{a_A^2+b_B^2}
\end{array}
[\tex]

Last edited:
[tex]\ddot{x}=-\omega^{2}{x}[/tex]
[tex]T=\frac{2\pi}{\omega}[/tex]
[tex]\ddot{x}[/tex]
[tex]T[/tex]
[tex]\omega[/tex]
[tex]I=\frac{1}{2}MR^{2}[/tex]
[tex]I[/tex]
[tex]M[/tex]
[tex]R[/tex]
[tex]I=\frac{1}{2}MR^{2}+4mr^{2}[/tex]
[tex]m[/tex]
[tex]r[/tex]
[tex]T_{v}=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/tex]
[tex]T_{r}=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{I}{c}}[/tex]
[tex]T[/tex]
[tex]k[/tex]
[tex]c[/tex]

[tex]x^2\sqrt{x}\int[/tex]

Last edited:
[tex]T_{r}=10.8-8.1[/tex]
[tex]T_{r}=2.7[/tex]
[tex]T_{r}[/tex]
[tex]T_{v}[/tex]
[tex]T_{r}=T_{v}[/tex]
[tex]T_{r}^{2}\propto{I}[/tex]

[tex] \langle p_1 | p_2 \rangle = \langle 0 | a(p_1) a^{\dagger} (p_2) | 0 \rangle = \delta (p_1 - p_2) [/tex]
[tex] \langle x^1 | x^2 \rangle = \langle 0 | \varphi (x^1) \varphi ^{\dagger} (x^2) | 0 \rangle = \delta (x^1 - x^2) [/tex]
[tex] T^{\mu \nu} = g^{\nu \sigma} {T^{\mu}}_{\sigma} [/tex]

Last edited:
<h2>1. What is LaTeX Math Typesetting?</h2><p>LaTeX Math Typesetting is a typesetting language used for creating and formatting mathematical equations and expressions in documents. It is widely used in the scientific and academic communities for its ability to produce high-quality and professional-looking math equations.</p><h2>2. How is it different from other typesetting languages?</h2><p>Unlike traditional word processing software, LaTeX Math Typesetting uses a markup language to create equations, rather than a graphical user interface. This allows for more precise and consistent formatting, as well as the ability to easily create complex equations and symbols.</p><h2>3. Do I need to be a programmer to use LaTeX Math Typesetting?</h2><p>No, you do not need to be a programmer to use LaTeX Math Typesetting. While some knowledge of coding may be helpful for more advanced formatting, there are many resources and templates available to help beginners get started with creating equations in LaTeX.</p><h2>4. Can I use LaTeX Math Typesetting in any document?</h2><p>Yes, LaTeX Math Typesetting can be used in a variety of document types, including academic papers, presentations, and even online platforms. It is compatible with most operating systems and can be easily integrated into other document creation software.</p><h2>5. Where can I learn more about using LaTeX Math Typesetting?</h2><p>There are many online resources available for learning LaTeX Math Typesetting, including tutorials, forums, and user guides. Additionally, many universities and institutions offer workshops and courses on using LaTeX for scientific and mathematical writing.</p>

1. What is LaTeX Math Typesetting?

LaTeX Math Typesetting is a typesetting language used for creating and formatting mathematical equations and expressions in documents. It is widely used in the scientific and academic communities for its ability to produce high-quality and professional-looking math equations.

2. How is it different from other typesetting languages?

Unlike traditional word processing software, LaTeX Math Typesetting uses a markup language to create equations, rather than a graphical user interface. This allows for more precise and consistent formatting, as well as the ability to easily create complex equations and symbols.

3. Do I need to be a programmer to use LaTeX Math Typesetting?

No, you do not need to be a programmer to use LaTeX Math Typesetting. While some knowledge of coding may be helpful for more advanced formatting, there are many resources and templates available to help beginners get started with creating equations in LaTeX.

4. Can I use LaTeX Math Typesetting in any document?

Yes, LaTeX Math Typesetting can be used in a variety of document types, including academic papers, presentations, and even online platforms. It is compatible with most operating systems and can be easily integrated into other document creation software.

5. Where can I learn more about using LaTeX Math Typesetting?

There are many online resources available for learning LaTeX Math Typesetting, including tutorials, forums, and user guides. Additionally, many universities and institutions offer workshops and courses on using LaTeX for scientific and mathematical writing.