Funniest TV show episode

• Thread starter Artman
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the hilarious episode "The Great Turkey Give-away" from the show WKRP in Cincinnati. The episode won the funniest show Emmy award and featured the classic line "With God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!" The conversation also mentions the death of Chuckles the Clown on the Mary Tyler Moore show as another favorite funny moment. The conversation concludes with a reference to a comedic song and dance.
Artman
For me the show was WKRP in Cincinatti and the episode was "The Great Turkey Give-away." Hilarious comparison between the Hindenburg disaster and the dispensing of live turkeys from a helicopter over a supermarket parking lot.

I knew when I saw it that that show should win an award. It did win the funniest show of the year Emmy award for that episode.

Classic line: "With God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!"

What are your favorite funny shows?

Physics news on Phys.org
The WKRP turkeys were my second favorite. My favorite was the death of Chuckles the Clown on the Mary Tyler Moore show.

A little song, a little dance,
A little seltzer down your pants...

Njorl

I completely agree with you, the "Great Turkey Give-away" episode of WKRP in Cincinnati was absolutely hilarious! The way they juxtaposed the Hindenburg disaster with the chaos of live turkeys flying everywhere was pure genius. And that line, "With God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly," is definitely a classic. It's no surprise that it won the funniest show of the year Emmy award.

As for my favorite funny shows, there are so many to choose from! I love shows like The Office, Parks and Recreation, and Brooklyn Nine-Nine for their quick wit and clever humor. And of course, classic sitcoms like Friends and Seinfeld never fail to make me laugh. But I have to say, WKRP in Cincinnati definitely holds a special place in my heart for its timeless comedy.

1. What makes a TV show episode funny?

A funny TV show episode typically has a combination of clever writing, well-timed jokes, and comedic chemistry between the actors. The plot and situations presented in the episode may also be absurd or unexpected, adding to the humor.

2. Can a TV show episode be objectively funny?

No, humor is subjective and what one person finds funny may not be funny to someone else. What may be funny to one culture may not be funny to another. However, there are certain elements that are commonly found in funny TV show episodes that appeal to a wide audience.

3. Are there any scientific studies on what makes a TV show episode funny?

Yes, there have been studies on the science of humor and what makes something funny. These studies have found that humor involves a combination of unexpectedness, incongruity, and surprise. Additionally, the use of word play, irony, and physical comedy have also been found to contribute to humor.

4. Do TV show writers use any techniques to make an episode funnier?

Yes, TV show writers often use comedic devices such as callbacks, setups, and punchlines to create a humorous effect. They may also use exaggeration, parody, and satire to add to the comedy of an episode.

5. Is it important for a TV show episode to be funny?

It depends on the genre and purpose of the show. Some TV shows are meant to be serious and dramatic, while others are intended to be comedic. In comedy shows, it is important for the episodes to be funny in order to entertain the audience and keep them engaged. However, in other genres, humor may not be the primary focus or necessary for the success of the show.

Back