Iterated integral questions

• Thread starter Bob19
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, an iterated integral is a type of definite integral used to find the area under a curve in multiple dimensions. It involves solving multiple integrals in a specific order, while a regular integral only involves one integral. The purpose of using an iterated integral is to find the area under a curve in multiple dimensions, and it is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. The order of integration in an iterated integral is determined by the limits of integration, which represent the boundaries of the area being calculated. These limits can be determined by graphing the function or using given information. It is important to carefully consider the limits to ensure the correct area is being calculated.
Bob19
I need to find the volume of solid bounded by the elliptic paraboloid z = 1 + (x-1)^2 + 4y^2, the planes x = 3 and y = 2 and the coordinate planes.

I claim that the solid called S is bounded above the square R = [0,3] x [0,2]

Thereby resulting in a volume V = 44.

Is that a correct assumption ?

Sincerely and best regards,

Bob

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I check your answers.

Hello Bob,

Thank you for your question. To answer your question, yes, your assumption is correct. The solid S is indeed bounded by the given elliptic paraboloid and the coordinate planes, as well as the planes x = 3 and y = 2.

To find the volume of this solid, we can use the formula for a double integral over a rectangular region R:

V = ∫∫S dV = ∫∫R f(x,y) dA

In this case, the function f(x,y) is given by the equation for the elliptic paraboloid z = 1 + (x-1)^2 + 4y^2. So, we have:

V = ∫∫R (1 + (x-1)^2 + 4y^2) dA

Substituting in the bounds for the region R, we have:

V = ∫0^3 ∫0^2 (1 + (x-1)^2 + 4y^2) dy dx

Evaluating this integral gives us a volume of 44, which confirms your assumption.

I hope this helps clarify the solution for finding the volume of the given solid. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Best regards,

1. What is an iterated integral?

An iterated integral is a type of definite integral that is used to find the area under a curve in two or more dimensions. It involves solving multiple integrals in a specific order, with each integral representing the area of a cross-section of the curve.

2. How is an iterated integral different from a regular integral?

An iterated integral is different from a regular integral because it involves solving multiple integrals in a specific order, while a regular integral only involves solving one integral. Additionally, an iterated integral is used to find the area under a curve in multiple dimensions, while a regular integral is typically used to find the area under a curve in one dimension.

3. What is the purpose of using an iterated integral?

The purpose of using an iterated integral is to find the area under a curve in multiple dimensions. This is useful in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics, where problems involve finding the volume, mass, or average value of a function in multiple dimensions.

4. What is the order of integration in an iterated integral?

The order of integration in an iterated integral is the order in which the integrals are solved. This is determined by the limits of integration, which represent the boundaries of the area being calculated. The innermost integral is typically solved first, followed by the outer integrals.

5. How do I know which limits of integration to use in an iterated integral?

The limits of integration in an iterated integral are determined by the boundaries of the area being calculated. These boundaries can be determined by graphing the function or by using the problem's given information. It is important to carefully consider the limits to ensure the correct area is being calculated.