Calculating the Probability of Two Random Walkers Meeting After N Steps

In summary, the problem is to find the probability that two men starting at the same point and with equal chances of moving left or right along the x-axis will meet again after N steps. The suggested approach is to consider their relative position and use the binomial theorem with multiple variables. The solution involves finding the probability of the two men being separated by a certain distance and setting that distance to 0 to find the probability of them meeting.
mathlete
The question:

"Two men start out together at the origin, each having a 1/2 chance of making a step to the left or right along the x-axis. Find the probability that they meet again after N steps."

It then says it may help to consider their relative position but I don't see how that would help.

The probability for one person is Wn(n1) = N!/[(n1!)(N-n1)!]*p^n1*q^(N-n2)

where N is total steps, n1 is steps to the right, p = q = 1/2 (for this problem). I just don't know how to combine/adjust it for two people.

Also, I'm not sure, but would this involve an integral from 0 to N steps at some point (to cover all cases)?

edit: I have posted this in the math section as it is more relevant

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i think this is more of a math problem but oh well...

let's consider their "distance function". there is 1/4 chance that they both move right, 1/4 chance that they both move left. In all of these cases the distance function remains constant... consider all other cases, and the increase/decrease of the "distance function".

i guess it is a little bit like the binomial theorem... when the number of increases = number of decreases, the two people meet. the problem with this thing is that the distance can remain constant rather than just two choices (increase and decrease, sucess and failure)... i guess you have to try to figure it out.

hmmm... this is rather difficult... i guess you have to sum up the probability of all the posibilities.
1 increase, 1 decrease, N-2 remains constant
...and other cases...

and consider what happens when N is odd and when N is even
damn i shouldn't be giving too many hints... i guess i'll just leave it at that.

good luck. the "binomial theorem" with more than "2 variables" should be the essential equation to use (forgot the name of that theorem...i guess we should call it multi-nomial theorem then... hehe).

Last edited:
tim_lou said:
hmmm... this is rather difficult... i guess you have to sum up the probability of all the posibilities.
1 increase, 1 decrease, N-2 remains constant
...and other cases...

and consider what happens when N is odd and when N is even
damn i shouldn't be giving too many hints... i guess i'll just leave it at that.

good luck. the "binomial theorem" with more than "2 variables" should be the essential equation to use (forgot the name of that theorem...i guess we should call it multi-nomial theorem then... hehe).
Thanks for the response, but I'm not sure I quite understand. This seems very in-depth and complicated for what I think the problem was intended to be.

What I really don't understand is how considering their relative motion helps me in anyway. And on the surface it seems that the probability of them meeting up is just (1/2)^N but that is obviously wrong and way too simple.

I'm completely stuck and don't know what to try next :confused:

Hi... Did you every get the right answer to this question? can you please help me with the answer.

random walk solution

Hey... I have the same homework...

What i did was solve for the probability of having the two drunks separated by distance d...

where,
d = (total steps to the right of both drunks, r) - (total steps to the left of both drunks, l) (eqn 1)
2N = r + l (eqn 2)

the probability would then be,

...hey, i had to edit the post... i just read the guidelines and i totally get the spirit of PF...

anyway... continue from here...
you get the probability... set d=0 (so the two drunks meet)

wahlah! you get the answer!

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood that an event will occur. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, with 0 representing impossibility and 1 representing certainty. The higher the probability, the more likely the event will occur.

2. What is a random walk?

A random walk is a mathematical concept that describes a path formed by a series of random steps in a particular direction. It is often used to model the behavior of a particle or system over time, where each step is determined by a random event.

3. What is the difference between discrete and continuous probability distributions?

Discrete probability distributions describe the probability of outcomes that can only take on specific values, such as rolling a die. Continuous probability distributions, on the other hand, describe the probability of outcomes that can take on any value within a certain range, such as the height of a person.

4. How do you calculate the expected value of a random variable?

The expected value of a random variable is calculated by multiplying each possible outcome by its probability and then summing all the results. This is represented by the formula E(X) = ΣxP(x), where x is the possible outcome and P(x) is the probability of that outcome.

5. How is the central limit theorem related to probability and random walk?

The central limit theorem states that as the sample size of a random variable increases, the distribution of sample means will approach a normal distribution, regardless of the shape of the original distribution. This theorem is relevant to probability and random walk as it helps to understand the behavior of random variables and the likelihood of certain outcomes occurring.