Physics Help: Proving Elevator Problem Not Our Fault

• Thread starter jackrules
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elevator
In summary: Elevators are certified to hold a certain weight, and even if three people were jumping on it at once, they would not be able to exceed the weight limit. This is not a debate, it's a fact.The school is trying to blame four students for an elevator that broke, when the elevator was already in a poor state and was not certified to hold the weight of the students. The students are trying to prove that they did not break the elevator, and are looking for help with physics.
A.T. said:
Hyperbole-man strikes again. The issue was financial responsibility, not "any punitive action". I don't see grounds for financial responsibility, if they were first-time offenders and not explicitly informed about the elevators sensibilities.

Do you have any experience of dealing with 'kids' (of any age)?
Do you not know that young people can often be thoughtless and mindless. If there had been no repercussions about what they did then what would make them modify their behaviour next time? Perhaps when they are 20kg more massive, a lot stronger and when there are more of them. they might actually do some damage. But you don't seriously suggest it was a legit 'experiment', do you? They were just 'messing' around where they would have known they shouldn't have.
Is the idea of 'punishment' not to be allowed any more? Just how liberal are you?

Engineering news on Phys.org
A.T.:
If these guys had been jumping into aisles at the library to test the merits of lever action, and several rows of book shelves fell down causing some amount of damage, would you have the same opinion? Nobody expressely forbid them from jumping into bookshelves, afterall.

I'm still young, so maybe that's "clouding my judgement" a bit. I know that these situations suck. There was most likely no malice intended, just a bit of harmless fun. I hope they get out of any charges, but:

1) Physics won't help
2) If their horseplay did indeed cause damage then they are liable for that damage.
(Danger, obviously they didn't snap any cables, but safety systems cost money to be reset. A large jolt caused by three normal sized people jumping, might just make the sensors say "Whoah! what was that!" and do its thing.)

We still don't know what exactly the school said they damaged, though, so really we're all just speculating as to possible circumstances.

Travis_King said:
(Danger, obviously they didn't snap any cables, but safety systems cost money to be reset. A large jolt caused by three normal sized people jumping, might just make the sensors say "Whoah! what was that!" and do its thing.)

And I acknowledged in an earlier post that I can understand if that expense is what they are being held liable for. The original post, however, specified that they are being accused of breaking the machine. I still maintain that such is not physically possible. In any event, it's totally illegal for anyone but a licensed elevator inspector to put a dormant elevator back into operation. Since the OP said that the school has "fixed" the lift, there will be the inspector's report stating exactly what went wrong and why. S/he should be the final authority as to who is at fault.

Yup on that last point. Agreed.

Whey you say "break", what exactly did break?

Its an elastic system and to break the ropes and motor you'd have to create a momentary tension in the ropes of about ten times their stated capacity. I can't believe its possible with three little humans jumping. Just the car dangling on the end of the ropes in which you jumped has a mass of over a ton. Jumping won't accelerate the car enough to bother the ropes much.

More likely you cracked the floor, which is likely mere inch thick plywood supported on a steel angle bar grid.

CraigAllan said:
More likely you cracked the floor, which is likely mere inch thick plywood supported on a steel angle bar grid.

You've just inspired me to launch a previously unthought-of terrorist attack: releasing termites in elevators...

Almost as good as pouring mercury all over an aeroplane floor.

sophiecentaur said:
Almost as good as pouring mercury all over an aeroplane floor.

I rather suspect that yours might be deemed a tad more antisocial than mine...

Two old hooligans, then.