Measuring Vorticity in a Rotating Anisotropic Universe

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of the universe rotating and the idea that it may be seen in the 'axis of evil' in the WMAP anisotropy power spectrum. It also brings up the concept of a background and the question of who determines it. The conversation then delves into the meaning of the term "ecliptic" and the idea that the universe may be rotating everywhere based on the flow lines of galaxies.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I always want to know what the universe is rotating with respect to?

This paper suggests the rotation shows up as the 'axis of evil' in the low l-mode WMAP anisotopy power spectrum. This axis can also be explained as the result of weak lensing of the CMB dipole by large scale structures in the local universe, see Local pancake defeats axis of evil.

Garth

I asked a question some time ago about the possiblity that the universe
may be rotating, but does it need some (back ground) to rotate in respect
to? if it was rotating, would the total energy in the universe increase, i
suspect it must, how could the rotation rate be found? with no (back ground) to refer to.

Who determines the 'background'?

Garth

Garth said:
Who determines the 'background'?

Garth
Nobody could. And who would be "outside" to measure total angular momentum?

Garth said:
I always want to know what the universe is rotating with respect to?

This paper suggests the rotation shows up as the 'axis of evil' in the low l-mode WMAP anisotopy power spectrum. This axis can also be explained as the result of weak lensing of the CMB dipole by large scale structures in the local universe, see Local pancake defeats axis of evil.

Garth
Question for you or anyone. I'm not much of a "Cosmo" guy as I am general astronomy and a bit more on stellar evolution (many would doubt). On the paper you mentioned above, when they say on page one that:
In addition, it is now known that the octopole is highly planar and aligned with the quadrupole (Schwarz et al. 2004; de Oliveira-Costa et al. 2004), and that the planes defined by these multi-poles is perpendicular to both the dipole and the ecliptic.
what do they mean by the term "ecliptic"? Our ecliptic is known to anybody but is there a galactic, local group or supercluster group ecliptic defined that I haven't been aware of? If they mean our ecliptic, it seems too much of a coincidence to be anything but a local effect and local even since the axis (both) point toward the Virgo cluster. On the scale of the universe even the Virgo cluster seems local to me.(?)

Consider all the possible (timelike) geodesics for a non-interacting bunch of galaxies in a region of spacetime. These possible geodesics form a congruence, i.e., any event in the region lies on one, and only one, geodesic. Think of flow lines.

Roughly, the universe is rotating everywhere in the region if every geodesic in the congruence rotates about every other geodesic in the congruence. This is measurable. There is non-zero rotation when the the vorticity tensor [itex]\omega_{ab} = \nabla_{\left[ a \right.} U_{\left. b \right]}[/itex] is non-zero

Here:

1) [itex]\nabla[/itex] is the covariant derivative operator;
2) the square brackets denote an anti-symmetrizer;
3) [itex]U[/itex] is th (4-velocity) field of tangent vectors to the geodesics.

Regards,
George

Last edited:

What is a rotating anisotropic universe?

A rotating anisotropic universe is a theoretical model of the universe that suggests that it is not only expanding, but also rotating. This means that the universe has a preferred direction of rotation, and this rotation affects the way that matter and energy are distributed throughout the universe.

How does a rotating anisotropic universe differ from a non-rotating anisotropic universe?

In a non-rotating anisotropic universe, the universe is expanding in all directions equally, but there is no preferred direction of rotation. In a rotating anisotropic universe, there is a preferred direction of rotation, which leads to different patterns of matter and energy distribution.

What evidence supports the idea of a rotating anisotropic universe?

There is currently no observational evidence that directly supports the idea of a rotating anisotropic universe. However, some studies have suggested that the cosmic microwave background radiation (CMB) may exhibit a preferred direction, which could be a sign of a rotating universe. However, more research is needed to confirm this.

What are the implications of a rotating anisotropic universe?

If the universe is indeed rotating, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the laws of physics and the evolution of the universe. It could also provide insights into the origin and structure of the universe, and potentially help us to better understand the nature of dark matter and dark energy.

Is the concept of a rotating anisotropic universe widely accepted in the scientific community?

No, the concept of a rotating anisotropic universe is still a topic of debate and research in the scientific community. While some theories and observations support this idea, there is not enough evidence to fully confirm it. More research and evidence is needed to fully understand the nature of our universe.