Understanding Flip-Flops: Analogy & Mechanical Terms

• Thread starter HSilva
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analogy
In summary, flip-flops are storage elements that store a single bit of information. They can be thought of as memory devices, and there are two common types: J-K and D flip-flops. The main inputs for a D flip-flop are D (data) and clock, and the output is Q. When there is a rising edge on the clock, the input value is stored and becomes the output value. For a J-K flip-flop, the inputs are J and K, and the output will be set or reset based on the inputs. The clock is a crucial component for flip-flops, as it determines when the output can change again. Understanding the concept of cross-coupled gates and how they are used to
HSilva
Okay, I am having a difficult time understanding how flip-flops work. Can anyone give me an Analogy in mechanical terms like plumbing for each common individual Flip-Flop. I am really confused on how I read and follow the diagrams for FF's. :(

Engineering news on Phys.org
Flip-flops are just storage elements. When you clock them, whatever value is present at the input (D) is stored inside it. The value stored inside it is then made available at the output (Q).

- Warren

chroot said:
Flip-flops are just storage elements. When you clock them, whatever value is present at the input (D) is stored inside it. The value stored inside it is then made available at the output (Q).

- Warren

Thanks for the prompt response.

So when do Clocks come in and how does it affect the output? How does it cycle in respect to the CLK? Sorry, I am so confused.

I don't know about plumbing...but here's my take...(I'm pretty dumb so don't think I'm dumbing it down for you)

flip-flops are used to store a single bit (like memory). two common types of flip-flops are J-K and D flip-flops.

I'll start with D:

the main inputs are: D and clock.
the output: Q

when there is a rising edge on the clock (a signal going from LOW to HIGH), whatever is on the input D, will be 'stored', and that's what will appear on Q.

now for J-K:

instead of D, you have two inputs J and K,

if there is a rising edge on the clock, and J is HIGH, Q will be HIGH (SET). If J is LOW and K is HIGH, Q will be LOW (RESET). If both J and K are high, it will toggle Q (made opposite).

Now for plumbing:
D is like what's in the toilet, and Q is what's in your septic tank. flushing the toilet is analogous to the rising edge of the clock. I have no clue how to explain J-K flip flops with plumbing. hope i helped

HSilva said:
Thanks for the prompt response.

So when do Clocks come in and how does it affect the output? How does it cycle in respect to the CLK? Sorry, I am so confused.

The output does not change, except immediately after a clock edge comes along. When the clock edge comes along, the flip-flop stores its input, and that input value propagates to its output.

(If the input is the same as the current output, the flip-flop does not change state, and the output does not change.)

The output cannot change again until another clock comes along.

- Warren

HSilva said:
Okay, I am having a difficult time understanding how flip-flops work. Can anyone give me an Analogy in mechanical terms like plumbing for each common individual Flip-Flop. I am really confused on how I read and follow the diagrams for FF's. :(

Maybe my post here will be too basic, but for me the light bulb went off back in school when I first learned how bits are stored in a memory device. The first circuit I learned about was the cross-coupled transistor cell, where the differential output voltage represents a 0 or 1, and that state stays there after you set it as long as the power is on. You can change the state to toggle to the other bit value, but the value is stored there as memory and won't change on its own. Like this:

http://www.hobbyprojects.com/flip_flop/a_transistor_RS_flip_Flop.html

When I saw that concept, I finally saw how it was possible to have computer memories work physically. Definitely a cool moment.

Then a little later, I learned about cross-coupled NAND gates used for switch debouncing, and then after that, how you use cross-coupled gate structures to build up the different flipflop variants. As described at this wikipedia.org article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flip-flop_(electronics)

Once you get that motivation and background, flipflops (and the more subtle issues they have with things like metastability) make a whole lot more sense.

Here's a J-k flip-flop link with Truth table and timing diagram.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electronic/jkflipflop.html"

Here's a D flip-flop link with Truth table and timing diagram.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electronic/dflipflop.html"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of a flip-flop?

A flip-flop is a fundamental building block in digital electronic circuits. Its main purpose is to store one bit of information, which can be either a 0 or a 1. This stored bit can then be used to control the output of the circuit.

2. How does a flip-flop work?

A flip-flop is made up of two stable states, represented by two inputs and two outputs. When one input is triggered, the outputs switch to their opposite states, and will remain in that state until the opposite input is triggered. This allows for the storage of one bit of information.

3. What is the analogy of a flip-flop in mechanical terms?

A flip-flop can be compared to a light switch. Just like how a light switch has two stable states (on and off), a flip-flop has two stable states (0 and 1). When the light switch is flipped, the state of the light changes, just like how the state of the flip-flop changes when one input is triggered.

4. What are the different types of flip-flops?

There are several types of flip-flops, including D flip-flops, JK flip-flops, T flip-flops, and SR flip-flops. Each type has its own unique characteristics and uses, but they all serve the same basic purpose of storing one bit of information.

5. How is a flip-flop used in real-life applications?

Flip-flops are used in various electronic devices, such as computers, calculators, and digital clocks. They are also used in communication systems, such as radios and cell phones, to store and transmit data. Flip-flops are essential components in digital logic and are the basis for complex electronic systems.