What's an 8% grade of a ramp?

• Thread starter Gott_ist_tot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ramp
So, in summary, an automobile driver traveling down an 8% grade slams on his brakes and skids 26 m before hitting a car.
Gott_ist_tot

Homework Statement

An automobile driver traveling down an 8% grade slams on his breaks and skids 26 m until hitting a car...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea what a 8% grade is. I am guessing it is a slope, but how much?

Thanks for any help I am stumped.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gott_ist_tot said:

Homework Statement

An automobile driver traveling down an 8% grade slams on his breaks and skids 26 m until hitting a car...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea what a 8% grade is. I am guessing it is a slope, but how much?

Thanks for any help I am stumped.
Yes it is a slope of 8/100

An 8% grade refers to the steepness of a slope or ramp. It means that for every 100 horizontal units, there is an increase of 8 vertical units. In other words, for every 100 meters traveled horizontally, there is a rise of 8 meters. This can also be expressed as a ratio of 1:12.5, meaning that for every 1 unit of horizontal distance, there is a rise of 12.5 units of vertical distance.

In the given scenario, the driver is traveling down a ramp with an 8% grade and slams on the brakes, causing the car to skid 26 meters before hitting another car. This information can be used to calculate the initial speed of the car before braking, using the equations for motion with constant acceleration. We would need to know the mass of the car and the coefficient of friction between the tires and the ramp to accurately calculate the speed.

As a scientist, it is important to always be clear and specific with the terms and units used in describing a scenario. In this case, it would be helpful to specify the units of distance and grade (e.g. 8% grade over 100 meters) to avoid confusion.

1. What does an 8% grade of a ramp mean?

An 8% grade of a ramp refers to the slope or incline of the ramp. It indicates that for every 100 feet of horizontal distance, the ramp will rise 8 feet vertically.

2. How is the grade of a ramp calculated?

The grade of a ramp is calculated by dividing the rise (vertical distance) by the run (horizontal distance) and then multiplying by 100. This gives the percentage of slope or incline.

3. Is an 8% grade considered steep for a ramp?

An 8% grade is considered a moderately steep incline for a ramp. It is often used for ramps in residential or commercial settings.

4. What is the maximum grade allowed for a ramp?

The maximum grade allowed for a ramp varies depending on the country and building codes. In the United States, the maximum grade for a ramp is typically 8.33% or 1:12 slope.

5. How does the grade of a ramp affect accessibility?

The grade of a ramp plays a crucial role in accessibility. A steeper grade can make it difficult for individuals using wheelchairs or mobility aids to navigate the ramp. It is recommended to use a lower grade, such as 5%, for better accessibility.