Deserted Island Math Challenge: Solve for the Coconuts

• Thread starter Hanae4fun
  • Start date
In summary: The number of coconuts plus one (N+1) is the minimum common multiple of 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and 10. So, the answer is nine.
Hanae4fun
.:Deserted island:.

A new one for you guys: a math one and a bit different version of the Gilligan's island one:

Ten shipwrecked people land on a deserted island. There they find heaps of coconuts and a single monkey. During their first day they gather the coconuts and put them all in a community pile. After working all day they decide to sleep and divide them into ten equal piles the next morning. That night one castaway wakes up hungry and decides to take his equal share early. After dividing up the coconuts he finds he is one coconut short of ten equal piles. He also notices the monkey holding one more coconut. So he tries to take the monkey's coconut to have a total evenly divisible by 10. However when he tries to take it the monkey conks him on the head with it and kills him. Later another castaway wakes up hungry and decides to take his share early. On the way to the coconuts he finds the body of the first castaway, which pleases him because he will now be entitled to 1/9 of the total pile. After dividing them up into nine piles he is again one coconut short and tries to take the monkey's coconut. Again, the monkey conks the man on the head and kills him. One by one each of the remaining castaways goes through the same process, until the 10th person to wake up gets the entire pile for himself. What is the smallest number of possible coconuts in the pile, not counting the monkey's?

have fun!

Physics news on Phys.org
funny (bad) monkey---he's a NUTTER problem !---

---and that (problem) took longer than I exected

That's a no brainer...

The product of the greatest powers inferior to ten of the primes inferior to 10 (5*7*8*9) minus one.

Werg22 said:
That's a no brainer...

The product of the greatest powers inferior to ten of the primes inferior to 10 (5*7*8*9) minus one.

If this was a question on a test, and that was your explanation on/for your answer, you probably wouldn't score very well. (eight is a cubed number)

----------------------

and actually there is another mistake in your answer, too

Last edited:
Well, I'd like a second opinion on that, it's perfectly clear and correct to my eyes.

Last edited:
let's just say, the answer may be correct, but that isn't how you solve the problem

If you say so. I'm satisfied with my answer, but I can't force you to be.

Werg, can you explain your answer a bit more? Sadly I don't get it.

Werg22 said:
If you say so. I'm satisfied with my answer, but I can't force you to be.

OK, but getting an answer from the problem itself, it would be about the same as saying:

It's from the number of letters in the words:

Hanae4fun said:
A new one for you guys: a math one and a bit different version of the Gilligan's island one:

Ten shipwrecked people land on a deserted island. There they find heaps of coconuts and a single monkey. During their first day they gather the coconuts and put them all in a community pile. After working all day they decide to sleep and divide them into ten equal piles the next morning. That night one castaway wakes up hungry and decides to take his equal share early. After dividing up the coconuts he finds he is one coconut short of ten equal piles. He also notices the monkey holding one more coconut. So he tries to take the monkey's coconut to have a total evenly divisible by 10. However when he tries to take it the monkey conks him on the head with it and kills him. Later another castaway wakes up hungry and decides to take his share early. On the way to the coconuts he finds the body of the first castaway, which pleases him because he will now be entitled to 1/9 of the total pile. After dividing them up into nine piles he is again one coconut short and tries to take the monkey's coconut. Again, the monkey conks the man on the head and kills him. One by one each of the remaining castaways goes through the same process, until the 10th person to wake up gets the entire pile for himself. What is the smallest number of possible coconuts in the pile, not counting the monkey's?

have fun!

In other words, there seems to be no logic or a proof from what that formula is derived or how it is formed from the problem to get the answer---if that doesn't bother you--then the answer given by the bold letters is an accepted proof too
----

oh, yeah, and add one to the last word for the monkey's coconut

Last edited:
Hanae4fun said:
What is the smallest number of possible coconuts in the pile, not counting the monkey's?

Well, the number of coconuts plus one (N+1) is the minimum common multiple of 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and 10.
Then, (N+1) = (2**3) * (3**2) * 5 * 7 = 2520
So, N=2519
:smile:

Really, rewebster, why do you want me to make this uselessly long? You know there's only one way to solve this and you know I solved it the right way. I didn't use magic to get the answer.

The number should be something which when divided by 2..10 gives remainder 1,2,3..9, right?
That's LCM of (2,..10) -1

Werg22 said:
That's a no brainer...

Are you saying that 8 is a prime?

No, he said 8 is one of the greatest powers inferior to ten of the primes inferior to 10.

And 8 is, de facto, the greatest power of 2, inferior to 10.
It is OK.

K.J.Healey said:
Werg22 said:
That's a no brainer...
Are you saying that 8 is a prime?

Just to clarify:

1) Find all primes less than 10: 2, 3, 5, 7.
2) Find the greatest powers of those primes such that the result is less than ten: 2^3 = 8, 3^2 = 9, 5^1 = 5, 7^1 = 7. Hence, 8,9,5,7.
3) Find the product of 8*9*5*7. That's the LCM of all the numbers 1-10.
4) Subtract 1 (the monkey's).

DaveE

What is the "Deserted Island Math Challenge: Solve for the Coconuts"?

The "Deserted Island Math Challenge: Solve for the Coconuts" is a hypothetical scenario where a person is stranded on a deserted island with a certain number of coconuts. The challenge is to use mathematical equations to determine the original number of coconuts and how many are left after a series of events.

What are the main mathematical concepts involved in this challenge?

The main mathematical concepts involved in this challenge are algebra, specifically solving equations with multiple variables, and basic arithmetic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

Is there a specific formula or method to solve this challenge?

Yes, there is a specific formula that can be used to solve this challenge. It involves setting up and solving a system of equations based on the given information and using algebraic manipulations to find the final answer.

Can this challenge be solved without using algebra?

No, this challenge is specifically designed to be solved using algebra. Other methods such as guessing and checking or using a calculator may provide an approximate answer, but they will not give the exact solution.

Can this challenge be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, this challenge can be applied to real-life situations where a person needs to use math to solve a problem or make a decision. It teaches critical thinking skills and demonstrates the practical applications of algebra in everyday life.