Can I Predict the Lottery Draw Without Affecting the Universe's Wavefunction?

• Thread starter Count Iblis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Future
In summary, the conversation discusses the measurement of the operator A(t) in relation to observing a lottery draw. The question also addresses the issue of perturbing the universe's wavefunction and obtaining the desired state. The conversation also mentions the need for the explicit form of the Hamiltonian and the state of the system in order to provide an expected value from repeated measurement. The last part of the conversation mentions the collapse of the wavefunction into an eigenstate and the search for a useful website for understanding concepts and reasoning in addition to mathematical derivations.
Count Iblis
If A is the observable corresponding to observing the lottery draw, how can I measure the operator

[tex]A\left(t\right)=\exp\left(i H t/\hbar\right)A\exp\left(-i H t/\hbar\right)[/tex]

:smile:

And how to make sure that I can act on the observation of next week lottery draw by submitting the correct numbers without perturbing the wavefunction of the universe so much that it won't evolve to the desired state? :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In order that we may begin to answer your question, could you give us the explicit form of the Hamiltonian?

...oh, actually... I need the state of the system too...

...and, darn it, even then I'll only be able to give you the expected value which results from repeated measurement... shame.

Last edited:
You face the same problem in a Newtonian universe...

olgranpappy said:
In order that we may begin to answer your question, could you give us the explicit form of the Hamiltonian?

...oh, actually... I need the state of the system too...

...and, darn it, even then I'll only be able to give you the expected value which results from repeated measurement... shame.

I agree, except with the last statement. If you could measure A(t), the wavefuncion will collapse into some eigenstate of A(t) which is a state that will go on to evolve to an eigenstate of A a time t later corresponding to the same eigenvalue that you measured.

i am a fresh student of telecom engineering. would anyone tell me the useful site in which i could find the basic concepts and understanding and reasoning phenomenan rather than only mathematical derivations. thanx.

1. How can we observe the future?

Unfortunately, as scientists, we are limited by the laws of physics and cannot physically observe the future. However, we can make predictions and projections based on current data, trends, and scientific models.

2. Can we use time travel to observe the future?

At this time, time travel is considered to be impossible based on our current understanding of physics. While it may be a popular concept in science fiction, it is not a viable method for observing the future.

3. What is the best way to make accurate predictions about the future?

The best way to make accurate predictions about the future is to gather and analyze data, use scientific models and methods such as statistical analysis and simulations, and consider all possible variables and factors that may influence the outcome.

4. Can we use technology to observe the future?

Technology can certainly aid in our ability to make predictions about the future, but it cannot be solely relied upon. It is important to also consider human behavior, societal factors, and other variables that may not be accounted for by technology.

5. Is it possible to change the future through observation?

Observing the future does not directly change it. However, by making accurate predictions and taking proactive measures, we can potentially influence and shape the future for the better.