Solving (1/2)y'' + y^2 = 1: How to Attack?

• Thread starter Adeimantus
  • Start date
In summary: So in summary, the conversation revolves around finding an approximate solution for the trajectory of a ball under the influence of constant gravity acceleration and quadratic drag. The equation (1/2)y'' + y^2 = 1, after non-dimensionalizing, is equivalent to the equation for the squared speed of the ball. The conversation discusses possible solutions for small and large values of x, and mentions the use of elliptic integrals. An alternate approach is suggested, involving defining v(y)=y'(x(y)) and solving a first order differential equation. Two possible solutions, y=\tan^2 (x-x_0) and y=\coth^2(x-x_0), are mentioned. The conversation also discusses finding a general solution for
Adeimantus
How would you attack this equation?

(1/2)y'' + y^2 = 1

I'm trying to find an approximate solution for the trajectory of a ball acted on by constant gravity acceleration and quadratic drag (proportional to the speed squared), and it turns out the speed squared satisfies an equation that is equivalent to this one after non-dimensionalizing. Any kind of solution would be nice, whether it is good for large x, small x, or whatever.

I was thinking that for x << 1, the equation would be approximately (1/2)y'' + y^2 = 0, in which case y = -3/x^2 is a solution. But then I don't know how to proceed from there to a better approximation. For x >> 1, I was thinking y^2 = 1 would be a first approximation, but again I don't know how to get any farther than that.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd multiply through by y', then note that you can integrate each of the three terms individually to get a 1st order diff eqn.

Maybe you probably meant (y')2, in which case try writing as y'' / ( 1 - (y')2)=2 and integrate.

Last edited:
gel said:
I'd multiply through by y', then note that you can integrate each of the three terms individually to get a 1st order diff eqn.

Maybe you probably meant (y')2, in which case try writing as y'' / ( 1 - (y')2)=2 and integrate.

No, y2 was what I meant. I forgot to mention that I had tried integrating it once as you suggested above, but I wasn't able to do the resulting integral

[tex]\int\frac{dy}{\sqrt{c+y-\frac{y^3}{3}}}[/tex]

Is there a way to integrate that?

thanks

Adeimantus said:
[tex]\int\frac{dy}{\sqrt{c+y-\frac{y^3}{3}}}[/tex]

Is there a way to integrate that?

I'm no expert on this, but it looks like an elliptic integral to me. I don't think you can do it explicitly.

to quote http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliptic_integral" [Broken]

In general, elliptic integrals cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. Exceptions to this general rule are when P has repeated roots, or when R(x,y) contains no odd powers of y. However, with the appropriate reduction formula, every elliptic integral can be brought into a form that involves integrals over rational functions and the three canonical forms (i.e. the elliptic integrals of the first, second and third kind).

and, c + y - y3/3 won't in general have repeated roots.

Last edited by a moderator:
gel said:
I'm no expert on this, but it looks like an elliptic integral to me. I don't think you can do it explicitly.

OK, that helps. Perhaps I could look up an approximation to elliptic integrals, and then invert it to get y = y(x).

gel said:
to quote wikipedia

In general, elliptic integrals cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. Exceptions to this general rule are when P has repeated roots, or when R(x,y) contains no odd powers of y. However, with the appropriate reduction formula, every elliptic integral can be brought into a form that involves integrals over rational functions and the three canonical forms (i.e. the elliptic integrals of the first, second and third kind).

and, c + y - y3/3 won't in general have repeated roots.

Excellent. I'll take a look at that wikipedia article. Thank you.

Also, how do you write an inline fraction, such as 1/2, so that the 1 is on top of the 2?

Last edited:
can't help you with inline fractions though

Well darn. I went back and checked my derivation of the d.e. and realized I had a minus sign wrong. The correct equation is (I pretty sure this time :redface: ),

[tex]\frac{1}{2}y'' + 2y^{\frac{1}{2}}y' + y^2 = 1[/tex]

So I guess I'll get to work on this one...

Suppose a solution y(x) is invertible locally, then we can define [tex]v(y)=y'(x(y))[/tex], where x(y) is the inverse of y(x). Substituting this in your d.e., you get

[tex]\frac{1}{2} v \dot{v} + 2 y^{1/2} v + y^2 = 1,[/tex]

where [tex]\dot{v}[/tex] denotes [tex]dv/dy[/tex]. This is a first order d.e. which is easier to solve. Try substituting [tex]w=v/\sqrt{y}[/tex] to get rid of the square root. If you have found the solution v(y), you can find y(x) by integrating

[tex]x-x_0 = \int_{y_0}^y \frac{dy}{v(y)}[/tex]

and then solving the equation for y. Good luck!

...or use Mathematica :rolleyes:. It gives two solution: [tex]y=\tan^2 (x-x_0)[/tex] and [tex]y=\coth^2(x-x_0)[/tex]. But you should check (and find the general solution).

Timbuqtu said:
Suppose a solution y(x) is invertible locally, then we can define [tex]v(y)=y'(x(y))[/tex], where x(y) is the inverse of y(x). Substituting this in your d.e., you get

[tex]\frac{1}{2} v \dot{v} + 2 y^{1/2} v + y^2 = 1,[/tex]

where [tex]\dot{v}[/tex] denotes [tex]dv/dy[/tex]. This is a first order d.e. which is easier to solve. Try substituting [tex]w=v/\sqrt{y}[/tex] to get rid of the square root. If you have found the solution v(y), you can find y(x) by integrating

[tex]x-x_0 = \int_{y_0}^y \frac{dy}{v(y)}[/tex]

and then solving the equation for y. Good luck!

...or use Mathematica :rolleyes:. It gives two solution: [tex]y=\tan^2 (x-x_0)[/tex] and [tex]y=\coth^2(x-x_0)[/tex]. But you should check (and find the general solution).

That is an excellent suggestion for clearing the square root. Thank you. I had found the solution y = tanh2(x-x0) by guessing and checking. What led me to guess it was the special case of a ball falling straight down (angle the velocity makes with the vertical is zero or pi, depending on how you define it) acted on by quadratic drag. In that case the non-dimensionalized speed is u = tanh(x-x0), and y = u2 in the above d.e.

The problem is, I don't know how to find a general solution for a non-linear d.e. Is there even a method of knowing how many solutions such an equation has?

Perhaps it would be better to work directly with the d.e. for the nondimensionalized velocity, u?

u(u'' + 2uu') + (u' + u2)2 = 1

edit:
this eqn. comes from the pair of equations

u(u'' + 2uu') = sin2A
(u' + u2)2 = cos2A

where A(x) is the angle of the velocity vector with the vertical, as a function of the nondimensionalized time x.

That way the special case of (u' + u2)2 = 1, which implies u'' + 2uu' = 0, would be apparent. But I'm guessing there are more solutions than that.

I will try out your suggestion. Thanks :)

Last edited:

1. What is the first step in solving (1/2)y'' + y^2 = 1?

The first step in solving this equation is to rearrange it so that the second derivative term is isolated on one side of the equation. This can be done by subtracting 1 from both sides and then multiplying both sides by 2. The resulting equation will be (1/2)y'' = y^2 - 1.

2. How can I simplify the equation (1/2)y'' + y^2 = 1?

In order to simplify this equation, you can use the fact that (a+b)(a-b) = a^2 - b^2. By applying this rule, you can rewrite the equation as (1/2)y'' + (y+1)(y-1) = 0. This will make it easier to solve for y.

3. What is the next step after simplifying the equation?

After simplifying the equation, the next step is to find the roots of the equation. This can be done by setting each factor equal to zero and solving for y. The resulting values of y will be the roots of the equation.

4. How many solutions does this equation have?

This equation has an infinite number of solutions, as there are an infinite number of values of y that satisfy the equation. However, if you are looking for real number solutions, there are only two possible solutions.

5. Can I use any other methods to solve this equation?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to solve this equation, such as substitution or using a graphing calculator. However, the most common approach is to use the steps outlined above to solve for y.