Find a value of constant k so a limit to infinity exists

In summary, to find a value of the constant k such that the limit exists for the equation lim x to infinity of (x^3-6/x^k+3), we can divide each term in the numerator and denominator by x^k, resulting in a limit value of 1 for k=3 and a limit value of 0 for k>3.
madgab89
Find a value of constant "k" so a limit to infinity exists

Homework Statement

Find a value of the constant k such that the limit exists.

Homework Equations

lim x to infinity of

x^3-6/x^k+3

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by setting the equation equal to infinity and attempted to rearrange it but got pretty much nowhere. I also broke it up using limit rules and also ended up nowhere.

Physics news on Phys.org

Can you guess what a k might be? For the limit to exist the numerator and denominator have to grow at similar rates as x->infinity.

So would k be 3? I'm not sure I'm understanding..

Yes, k=3 is one value that works. What's the limit in that case? Can you show if k>3 the limit is 0 (so it exists) and if k<3 the limit is infinity (so it doesn't exist)? You were just asked to find 'a value'. There are lots of choices.

oh my goodness. i just understood it now..thank you *bangs head on desk* :)

so to show that say for k=4 the limit is 0, would I just divided each term top and bottom by x^4?

and for k=3 the value of the limit would be 1, correct?

madgab89 said:
and for k=3 the value of the limit would be 1, correct?

Right on both counts.

1. What is a limit to infinity?

A limit to infinity is the value that a function approaches as the input value gets closer and closer to positive or negative infinity. It represents the behavior of a function over a large range of values.

2. Why is it important to find a value of constant k for a limit to infinity?

Finding a value of constant k for a limit to infinity is important because it allows us to determine the long-term behavior of a function. We can use this information to make predictions and analyze the behavior of systems or processes.

3. How do you find a value of constant k for a limit to infinity?

To find a value of constant k for a limit to infinity, we can use algebraic techniques such as factoring, simplifying, or using L'Hopital's rule. We can also use graphical or numerical methods, such as using a graphing calculator or creating a table of values.

4. What happens if we cannot find a value of constant k for a limit to infinity?

If we cannot find a value of constant k for a limit to infinity, it means that the limit does not exist. This could be due to various reasons, such as the function oscillating or approaching different values from different directions.

5. Can a function have multiple values of constant k for a limit to infinity?

Yes, a function can have multiple values of constant k for a limit to infinity. This is because different values of k can result in the same limit. However, in most cases, there is a unique value of k that satisfies the limit to infinity.