Explore Old City in Warsaw: Castle Square, Market Place & More

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pictures
In summary, Borek shared some pictures of Warsaw taken last Saturday. The pictures show the old city with the Zygmunt's Column, the Royal Castle, and the market place. The new city is also shown with the towers of the St. Hyacinth's Church and the St. Mary's Church. There is a street with a Souvenir stall and droshky.
What a coincidence, I am going to Warsaw on Tuesday, how can I recognize him - does he wear [tex]\sqrt -1[/tex] t-shirt or something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Borek said:
What a coincidence, I am going to Warsaw on Tuesday, how can I recognize him - does he wear [tex]\sqrt -1[/tex] t-shirt or something?
He talks softly but carries a big stick. He'll be the Irish microbiologist surrounded by beer.

hurlingfj7.jpg

Borek said:
Quebec, Quebec... These pictures are not exactly from Warsaw? :wink:

I'd love to see Warsaw. Unfortunately, I saw that it was in Poland and wondered how freaking expensive it would be!

JasonRox said:
I'd love to see Warsaw. Unfortunately, I saw that it was in Poland and wondered how freaking expensive it would be!

Never tried that, but I feel like you should be able to visit Warsaw for about $40 a day without a problem, probably even less (1 beer a day included). That's assuming you don't need 5 star hotel, NOT assuming that you will sleep under the bridge (but if so, you may choose from 9).

Edit: 40 PLN for a bed in a 3 bed dorm, as of today that's about $15, for dinner - large pizza below 20 PLN or chineese food for 12 PLN. 10 PLN for bread/butter/cheese/sausages. Something like 8 PLN for a daily ticket for a public transport (cheaper if you buy a 7-day ticket). Plus beer or two. Less then $40.

Plus flight, but that's another story.

Last edited:
Borek said:
That's assuming you don't need 5 star hotel, NOT assuming that you will sleep under the bridge (but if so, you may choose from 9).
:rofl: that's quite some choice

they may not have any stars, but you'll see a lot of stars :wink:

Borek have you been in Palac Kultury?

waht said:
Borek have you been in Palac Kultury?

Hundreds of times. Museums, theaters, cinemas, Sala Kongresowa (Kongresowa Hall) and so on - many events each year, including fairs and concerts. I am not especially fond of frequenting such events, but now and then I have to. In fact it is difficult to live in Warsaw and never be there.

When I was teenager, back in seventies, I used to go to Palace of Youth (not sure about the name translation). It is located in the PKiN building. I was fencing, but there were many other sport sections - sailing, swimming, diving - as well as technical ones - like electronics, model building - and scientific, like biological.

The building is not loved here, see wiki article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palace_of_Culture_and_Science,_Warsaw) for details. Some even want it bulldozed, although it won't happen, as it is in the heritage register. I don't have a clear opinion. I agree with those that say that we will be not able to build anything comparable. Doesn't matter if we like it or not, it became symbol of the city, so demolition doesn't make sense.

Borek said:
Plus flight, but that's another story.

That's what I'm talking about.

I'm going to the Caribbean in a 4-star hotel, all inclusive plus flight for $800CDN.

Jason has a good point for the east-coasters. You can enjoy the amenities of an old-world type city in a modern setting in Quebec. The old city is a pretty nice place, with nice bars, restaurants, etc.

I LOVED Winter Carnival in QC! I went twice, and both times, I got "adopted" temporarily by pretty bilingual girls who made sure that I got to get keyed-in to the stories and jokes of the francophiles. I got similar treatment when hanging with PQ bikers - I've always had fun in Canada. My family is French-Canadian on my mother's side, though my "command" of the language is poor. As a friend of mine says "when I go to Canada, I can speak enough French to order a hot dog and get my face slapped."

turbo-1 said:
Jason has a good point for the east-coasters. You can enjoy the amenities of an old-world type city in a modern setting in Quebec. The old city is a pretty nice place, with nice bars, restaurants, etc.

I LOVED Winter Carnival in QC! I went twice, and both times, I got "adopted" temporarily by pretty bilingual girls who made sure that I got to get keyed-in to the stories and jokes of the francophiles. I got similar treatment when hanging with PQ bikers - I've always had fun in Canada. My family is French-Canadian on my mother's side, though my "command" of the language is poor. As a friend of mine says "when I go to Canada, I can speak enough French to order a hot dog and get my face slapped."

I've never been during the winter carnival! I hope to go this winter. :)

My supervisor already agreed that if I do good in my Master's, he will send me to Quebec City for my Ph.D! Dream come true! (Other great news of today!)

Borek said:
SweatyFunSeek said:
check out the Łazienki Park and the Wilanów Palace.
Shhh, I am not done with posting :wink:

OK, posting Warsaw pictures part two. Not necesarilly the last one :wink:

Łazienki Królewskie - name translates to Royal Baths (Park). Established in 17th century, but it was remodelled in the second half of 18th century. It is huge park and palace complex, now close to the center of Warsaw.

October 12th was a very nice day.

Let's start with buildings.

Palace on the Water.
IMG_7808.jpg

New Orangery. There is also an old one. There were more orangeries, as they were built and rebuilt several times.*
P1060537.jpg

King Sobieski monument. In fact it is not in the park, but just behind the gate. Sobieski is well known for his defeat of Turks in the Battle of Vienna.
IMG_7832.jpg

Then there is the park. It was sunny, and colors were beautiful.*
P1060450.jpg

More colors.*
P1060534.jpg

Even more colors.*
P1060466.jpg

IMG_7747.jpg

IMG_7750.jpg

And some squirrels.
squirrel.jpg

There are more buildings and monuments, including the famous Chopin monument. Unfortunately, some places were too crowded for a reasonably nice pictures :frown:

As usual, Marzena's pictures with *.

Wow, Borek, you're lucky with that autumn. Right here most trees seem to either green or leafless. No real colored spectacle. Well perhaps next year.

I would say this years autumn is particularly colorfull, I have been trying to catch nice colors for the last few years and with no success.

Still, compared to what Turbo shows we should all pretend to live on some other planet.

Borek said:
I would say this years autumn is particularly colorfull, I have been trying to catch nice colors for the last few years and with no success.

Still, compared to what Turbo shows we should all pretend to live on some other planet.
I'm lucky in that the area is heavily populated with sugar maples, aspen, etc that get nice bright colors. A few miles south of here is a hill where my wife and I once lived, and the woodland was almost all oak - NOT pretty in the fall.

Nice pictures, Borek, and I love Marzena's composition in the shot with the reflecting water. Luckily, there is a person in the photo for scale. Those trees are huge!

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
Nice pictures, Borek, and I love Marzena's composition in the shot with the reflecting water.

She is blushing :wink:

Luckily, there is a person in the photo for scale. Those trees are huge!

This park is over 300 years old, nothing strange they had time to grow.

Some other parts of Warsaw were not that lucky. During WWII many old trees were cut down and burnt, there were no other means of heating.

Wonderful pictures!
I will have to come visit.
Did I tell you my mother was born and raised on a farm near Świdnik?

But I'm a bit confused.

Borek said:
Following pictures are - technically - not from Old City, but from New City. New City lies outside city walls and was built somewhere between 14th and 15th century.

The old city is new(rebuilt), and the new city was built before America was discovered?

:smile:

Old City was built somewhere in 13th century and surrounded by a city walls. While they made city safer, they didn't left place for growth. People started to build their houses north of Warsaw. While it was very close, this area was granted its own city charter. Old City was called just Warszawa or Stara Warszawa (Old Warsaw), New City - Nowa Warszawa (New Warsaw). It changed at the end of 18th century, when New Warsaw became part of Warsaw. At this time Old City was no longer bussines and administrative center of Warsaw.

Old City and New City are - since then - names of districts of Warsaw. Not necesarilly in administrational sense. Right now they are part of Śródmieście - downtown.

Both parts were destroyed during 2nd WW and rebuilt in fifties, in the form close to that of 18th century.

Borek said:
:smile:

Old City was built somewhere in 13th century and surrounded by a city walls. While they made city safer, they didn't left place for growth. People started to build their houses north of Warsaw. While it was very close, this area was granted its own city charter. Old City was called just Warszawa or Stara Warszawa (Old Warsaw), New City - Nowa Warszawa (New Warsaw). It changed at the end of 18th century, when New Warsaw became part of Warsaw. At this time Old City was no longer bussines and administrative center of Warsaw.

Old City and New City are - since then - names of districts of Warsaw. Not necesarilly in administrational sense. Right now they are part of Śródmieście - downtown.

Both parts were destroyed during 2nd WW and rebuilt in fifties, in the form close to that of 18th century.

Rozumiem. The old city was older than the new city, but they are both the same age now.
That's as clear as thick ink, as my mother would say.:wink:

OmCheeto said:
Rozumiem. The old city was older than the new city, but they are both the same age now.

Perfect summary :rofl:

I have never been to THAT Świdnik. I think I was in other Świdnik, but it was so long ago that I am not sure now.

Lovely place Borek,

Here are some pics of the city i live in, Ghent

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/5917/ghent2zv7.jpg [Broken]
http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/3958/ghentil1.jpg [Broken]

ciao
marlon

Last edited by a moderator:
Borek said:
And some squirrels.
squirrel.jpg

I love the Polish squirrels. Those little tufts of fur on their ears is SOOOO cute!

Interesting how the squirrel blends in the background.

Borek said:
The building is not loved here, see wiki article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palace_of_Culture_and_Science,_Warsaw) for details. Some even want it bulldozed, although it won't happen, as it is in the heritage register. I don't have a clear opinion. I agree with those that say that we will be not able to build anything comparable. Doesn't matter if we like it or not, it became symbol of the city, so demolition doesn't make sense.

When I was there, I had an hour to walk around the city before going to the airport. We were going to see to this place, but time was running out. Didn't realize it was built by the communists using Soviet plans. I'm sure that some would want it gone.

Beautiful pictures Borek! Amazing city.

Moonbear said:
I love the Polish squirrels. Those little tufts of fur on their ears is SOOOO cute!

Hmmm... I'm starting to see a pattern here. My mother used to raise Polish chickens

pfpolechicken.jpg

Everyone make a mental note of Borek's avatar, the squirrel, and the chicken.
What do they all have in common?

<h2>1. What is the history of Old City in Warsaw?</h2><p>The Old City in Warsaw, also known as Stare Miasto, was founded in the 13th century and served as the capital of Poland until the 17th century. It was largely destroyed during World War II but was meticulously reconstructed in the following decades, earning it a spot on the UNESCO World Heritage List.</p><h2>2. What are the main attractions in Old City?</h2><p>Some of the must-see attractions in Old City include Castle Square, the Royal Castle, Market Place, St. John's Archcathedral, and the Barbican. These sites offer a glimpse into the rich history and culture of Warsaw.</p><h2>3. How can I get to Old City in Warsaw?</h2><p>Old City is easily accessible by public transportation, including buses, trams, and the metro. Visitors can also choose to walk or take a guided tour to explore the area.</p><h2>4. Are there any special events or festivals held in Old City?</h2><p>Yes, Old City hosts several events and festivals throughout the year, including the Warsaw Old Town Festival, which celebrates the city's culture and history through music, dance, and food. There are also Christmas and Easter markets held in Market Place, offering traditional Polish treats and crafts.</p><h2>5. Can I visit Old City in Warsaw for free?</h2><p>Yes, Old City is open to the public and can be explored for free. However, some attractions, such as the Royal Castle, may charge an entrance fee. It is also recommended to join a free walking tour to learn more about the history and significance of the area.</p>

1. What is the history of Old City in Warsaw?

The Old City in Warsaw, also known as Stare Miasto, was founded in the 13th century and served as the capital of Poland until the 17th century. It was largely destroyed during World War II but was meticulously reconstructed in the following decades, earning it a spot on the UNESCO World Heritage List.

2. What are the main attractions in Old City?

Some of the must-see attractions in Old City include Castle Square, the Royal Castle, Market Place, St. John's Archcathedral, and the Barbican. These sites offer a glimpse into the rich history and culture of Warsaw.

3. How can I get to Old City in Warsaw?

Old City is easily accessible by public transportation, including buses, trams, and the metro. Visitors can also choose to walk or take a guided tour to explore the area.

4. Are there any special events or festivals held in Old City?

Yes, Old City hosts several events and festivals throughout the year, including the Warsaw Old Town Festival, which celebrates the city's culture and history through music, dance, and food. There are also Christmas and Easter markets held in Market Place, offering traditional Polish treats and crafts.

5. Can I visit Old City in Warsaw for free?

Yes, Old City is open to the public and can be explored for free. However, some attractions, such as the Royal Castle, may charge an entrance fee. It is also recommended to join a free walking tour to learn more about the history and significance of the area.