Books for self-study AP Physics C : Mech & Electromag

In summary, a new member of a forum is seeking recommendations for books to self-study AP Physics C. They have compiled a list of books and are looking for someone to suggest a main book, 3 books for electromagnetism, and 2 books for mechanics. They prefer a book that explains underlying theories and another with lots of practice problems and solutions. Another member suggests using Serway as the main book and the older editions of Halliday and Resnick for electromagnetism. They also mention the possibility of buying the older edition of Halliday for a low price. The conversation also briefly mentions a potential difference between the Krane and Walker versions of a book.
elwenn
Hai guys iam kinda new here, this is actually my first post. So after i chose to independently self-study the whole of AP Physics C, i ended up compiling a list of books i needed. They are:

Main:

-Halliday, David, Robert Resnick, and Jearl Walke. 2008. Fundamentals of Physics, 8th ed. Hoboken, N.J.: John Wiley & Sons.

-Serway, Raymond A., Robert J. Beichner and John J. Jewett. 2000. Physics for Scientists and Engineers, 5th ed. Pacific Grove, Calif.: Brooks/Cole Publishing.

Electromagnetism:

-2000 Solved Problems in Electromagnetics (Schaum's Solved Problems Series) (Paperback) by Syed A. Nasar (Author)
-A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations (Paperback)by Daniel Fleisch (Author)
-Engineering Electromagnetics (Hardcover) by Nathan Ida (Author)
-Electricity and Magnetism, Vol. II (Hardcover) by Edward M. Purcell (Author)

Mechanics:

-Elements of Newtonian Mechanics: Including Nonlinear Dynamics (Paperback) by Jens M. Knudsen (Author), Poul G. Hjorth (Author)
-Newtonian Mechanics (M.I.T. Introductory Physics Series) (Paperback) by A. P. French (Author)
-An Introduction To Mechanics (Hardcover) by Daniel Kleppner (Author), Robert Kolenkow (Author)

Obviously, iam not a rich guy and can't afford all these; if i were i wouldn't be postin this. So what i need is for someone, who studied/knows these books, to give me an idea of what he/she would purchase out of all these giving a maximum of 1 main, 3 electromagnetism, and 2 mechanics. In my style of studying, i prefer to have a book which imprints the underlying theories of a topic and then alloys those theories into the math of it. The other one, namely the book with lots of problems (ex 2000 Solved Problems in Electromagnetics) should give practice for me to apply those skills gained from the aforementioned type of book into problems. Those problems ofcoarse should have nice solutions. Iam still looking for a problems book for mechanics, again it would be very nice to list a book you know of that gives Newtonian mechanics (pregraduate) type of problems. Thanks alot, whoever you are !_!

Physics news on Phys.org
Serway is the only book you need. The older editions of Halliday and Resnick are outstanding. They contain particularly good discussions of Maxwell's equations.

Brian_C said:
Serway is the only book you need. The older editions of Halliday and Resnick are outstanding. They contain particularly good discussions of Maxwell's equations.

Not to mention that I bought the 5th edition of the halliday book for under $5.00 on amazon...!

Brian_C said:
The older editions of Halliday and Resnick are outstanding.

Hey Brian do u mean the Krane one, or the Walker one. I heard there was a difference between the two, and somebody mentioned that the krane version was more harder. Which book do u prefer ? Thanks dud

1. What topics are covered in "Books for self-study AP Physics C: Mech & Electromag"?

The book covers all the topics included in the AP Physics C: Mechanics and Electromagnetism curriculum, including kinematics, dynamics, work and energy, rotational motion, electricity, magnetism, and electromagnetic induction.

2. Are there any practice problems included in the book?

Yes, the book includes numerous practice problems with detailed solutions to help you test and improve your understanding of the concepts.

3. Is this book suitable for beginners?

This book is designed for students who have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry. It is not recommended for absolute beginners in physics.

4. Can this book be used as a standalone resource for the AP Physics C exam?

While this book covers all the topics in the AP Physics C curriculum, it is recommended to use it as a supplement to your regular classroom instruction and practice with official AP exam questions.

5. Does this book provide explanations or just solutions to problems?

This book provides both explanations and solutions to problems. The explanations are detailed and provide a step-by-step approach to solving problems, making it easier for students to understand the concepts.