Books / trustworthy websites about the history of the scientific method

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for sources on the history of the scientific method and recommends books such as Karl Popper's "The Logic of Scientific Discovery", Thomas Kuhn's "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions", and Paul Feyerabend's "Against Method and Science in a Free Society". The conversation also mentions a textbook from the late 1800s that discusses luminiferous ether and the concept of energy and force. One participant notes that scientific methodologies did not exist before 1934 and suggests the book "A Historical Introduction to the Philosophy of Science" by John Losee as a good resource.
Shukie
I'm doing a paper on how the scientific method in it's current form came to be. I've found a lot of interesting websites already, but not many that I would feel comfortable using as a source. Could anyone point me in the direction of some good books or trustworthy websites that give a good overview of the history of the scientific method?

Science news on Phys.org
Karl Popper, The Logic of Scientific Discovery
Thomas Kuhn, The Structure of Scientific Revolutions
Paul Feyerabend, Against Method and Science in a Free Society

Thanks!

Just as a side note...

I have a textbook from the late 1800s, and it's a very interesting read. It starts off with a fairly compelling description of how light travels through luminiferous ether, and then gets right into vis viva (what we call energy) and force are conserved quantities.

EnumaElish said:
Karl Popper, The Logic of Scientific Discovery
Thomas Kuhn, The Structure of Scientific Revolutions
Paul Feyerabend, Against Method and Science in a Free Society

Yeah, scientific methodologies did not exist prior to 1934. :tongue:

I would suggest "A Historical Introduction to the Philosophy of Science", 4th ed., John Losee, Oxford University Press, 2001, or equivalent.

1. What is the scientific method?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to investigating phenomena and acquiring new knowledge. It involves making observations, formulating hypotheses, conducting experiments, and analyzing data to reach a conclusion.

2. Why is it important to study the history of the scientific method?

Studying the history of the scientific method allows us to understand the evolution of scientific thinking and how it has shaped our understanding of the world. It also helps us to appreciate the contributions of past scientists and learn from their successes and failures.

3. What are some key figures in the history of the scientific method?

Some key figures in the history of the scientific method include Aristotle, Galileo Galilei, René Descartes, Francis Bacon, and Isaac Newton. These thinkers made significant contributions to the development and refinement of the scientific method.

4. Can you recommend any trustworthy books on the history of the scientific method?

Yes, some recommended books on the history of the scientific method include "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions" by Thomas Kuhn, "The Scientific Method: A Historical and Philosophical Introduction" by Barry Gower, and "A Short History of Scientific Thought" by F. Sherwood Taylor.

5. Are there any reliable websites that provide information on the history of the scientific method?

Yes, some trustworthy websites that provide information on the history of the scientific method include the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy, and the History of Science Society website.