Good Cosmology Books: Recommendations

In summary, there are several good and up-to-date books on cosmology that you can choose from. Some recommended options include Dodelson's Modern Cosmology, Liddle's An Introduction to Modern Cosmology, and Peacock's Cosmological Physics. For a more in-depth read, you can also check out Primordial Cosmology by Peter and Uzan. Overall, these books cover important topics such as general relativity, quantum mechanics, and field theory, and provide a solid foundation for understanding cosmology.
astrofireball
Hey!
Can you please recommend me some good and up to date cosmology books?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Dodelson's Modern Cosmology is great.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0470848359/?tag=pfamazon01-20 - This is a brilliant introduction. If you've never come across cosmology and are ~ 3rd year undergraduate then this is the perfect starting point in my opinion.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0521422701/?tag=pfamazon01-20 - This is a very good book on cosmology. Perhaps a tad more dated than Liddle's book but covers all the important things in a very good way. Has introductory chapters on GR, QM and Field Theory that really serve as quick refreshers of some of the basics.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0198526822/?tag=pfamazon01-20 - Very nicely written with most things you could want but not the starting place for anyone new to the subject in my opinion.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0471489093/?tag=pfamazon01-20 - This is another nice cosmology book emphasising the structure formation aspects of cosmology.

As mentioned above Dodelson's book is a very nice book too.

You can look at the table of contents and other reviews for most books. Hopefully this should give a reasonable starting point :).

Last edited by a moderator:
Another one, which is very new, is Primordial Cosmology by Peter and Uzan. I like it a lot.

Sure, I would be happy to recommend some good cosmology books for you! Some popular and highly-rated options include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan, and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene. These books offer a great introduction to the field of cosmology and cover a wide range of topics such as the origins of the universe, the Big Bang theory, and the search for dark matter and dark energy. Additionally, "The Cosmic Cocktail" by Katherine Freese and "The Universe in Your Hand" by Christophe Galfard are also highly recommended for their engaging writing styles and comprehensive coverage of cosmology concepts. I hope these suggestions help you on your journey to learning more about the fascinating field of cosmology!

1. What is cosmology?

Cosmology is the branch of science that studies the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe. It combines principles from physics, astronomy, and mathematics to understand the nature of the universe on a large scale.

2. Why should I read a book on cosmology?

Reading a book on cosmology can provide a deeper understanding of the universe and our place within it. It can also help to broaden your perspective and inspire curiosity about the mysteries of the cosmos.

3. What are some good cosmology books for beginners?

Some good cosmology books for beginners include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan, and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene. These books provide a comprehensive overview of cosmology and are written in an engaging and accessible manner.

4. Are there any recent cosmology books that are recommended?

Yes, there are many recent cosmology books that are highly recommended. Some popular titles include "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" by Neil deGrasse Tyson, "The Big Picture: On the Origins of Life, Meaning, and the Universe Itself" by Sean Carroll, and "The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene.

5. Can you recommend a cosmology book that delves into advanced concepts?

"The Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time, and the Texture of Reality" by Brian Greene is a highly recommended book for those interested in delving into more advanced concepts in cosmology. It explores topics such as string theory, the multiverse, and the nature of time in a thought-provoking and accessible way.