Can you rip the space time fabric?

In summary, the conversation touches upon the concept of space-time fabric and the possibility of it being ripped or opened up. However, there is no concrete evidence or theory that supports such a notion. Some theories like string theory and general relativity suggest the possibility of topology changes, but there is no consensus on the nature of space-time and whether it is continuous or discrete. Overall, the concept of a "fabric" of space-time is not supported by modern physics theories.
Gravitons
Can you rip the space time fabric!?

if there is a fabric of space, the four dimension you could call it, space time, is it possible to rip it or open it up, for example do black holes do that, if not what, what would happen?

Physics news on Phys.org

There is no 'fabric' in any modern physical theory, so there is no 'fabric' to be ripped.

Phrases like "ripping a hole in the space-time continuum" are abuses of notation typically used in science fiction.

- Warren

Einsteins general relativity describes a fourth dimension regarding up down, left right, back and forth, the fourth is space time, aka a "fabric of space".
Check it out genius: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetime

Excuse me? You've only been here for a half hour, and you're already insulting one of the site administrators?

Your link does not include the word 'fabric,' by the way. Think hard.

- Warren

No one really knows the answer to your question...we can't even find it nor "sew" it...we have only incomplete hints. I think this is likely because we do not know what space nor time are...nor mass,energy,either for example. And we have no theory (quantum nor relativistic nor informational nor string ) that works at singularities...(big bang, black holes) where ripping seems mostly likely...it could be the "quantum foam" (high energy oscillations) at Planck scale activity "ruins" spacetime and makes distinction between say, space and mass impossible...String theory also hints at this possibility.

There is no 'fabric' in any modern physical theory, so there is no 'fabric' to be ripped.

This is an exaggeration...I think, but not incorrect...had it said "none proven in classical relativity" I'd say "ok" that might be about right. we don't have an agreed upon definiton of "fabric" for one thing...

Anyway, one perspective of spacetime rips can be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_censorship_hypothesis

but these are hypothetical, not experimentally proven.

We have had long discussions in the forums about "what is space-time" and of course no one really knows...but quantum mechanics, and quantum field theory in particular, I believe, posits space time is discrete rather than continuous as in classical relativity. That suggests it to possibly be something...but there is no agreement here either: continuous or discrete?.

You can also look up causal dynamic triangulation as to how spacetime might form, and spin foam is another variety. A recent discussion on the forums from a paper by Verlinde hypothesisizes that space time forms from entropy and while unproven offers I think fascinating possibilities. And of course one can utilize incomplete theories about the universe being formed of information, a relative of entropy...

And a case can be made that the holographic principle offers yet another insight into spacetime, and everything else that we perceive as being three dimensionally space enclosed...maybe everything we know is really area rather than volume based...information content and flow sure seems to be that way.

Another hint at an answer, might be contained in the big bang versus black hole singularities. Apparently Weyl curvature in the former approach zero, or is at least finite, while Weyl Curvature in the latter diverges...so the low entropy of the big bang might be markedly different than the exceedingly high entropy (information) of the latter...
I posted asking about the implications some time ago and never got an answer.

Roger Penrose discusses naked singularities in THE ROAD TO REALITY SECTION 28.8 AND YOU MIGHT GET FURTHER HINTS FROM THE Hawking-Hartle no boundary proposal which Penrose discussesd in 28.9.
however, all the above simply offer tangential insights..not answers because no one has the real solution...yet...

Last edited:

Gross et al, Instability of Flat Space at Finite Temperature, Physical Review D, 1982
"In the general theory of relativity, ... the spacetime manifold is warped by the presence of matter. Gravitational collapse can give rise to singularities in the fabric of spacetime"

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0012345
"spacetime fabric"

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0508121
"fabric of spacetime"

Last edited:

I remember from Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe that string theory does allow for spacetime topology changes, which can be thought of in terms of ripping /sewing spacetime (like turning a sphere into a doughnut by punching a hole through the middle). No ragged holes that things can fall into and disappear though.

JesseM said:
I remember from Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe that string theory does allow for spacetime topology changes, which can be thought of in terms of ripping /sewing spacetime (like turning a sphere into a doughnut by punching a hole through the middle). No ragged holes that things can fall into and disappear though.

Interesting! I googled "topology change" and apparently it can even happen in a slightly extended form of classical GR.

http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/9109030, http://iopscience.iop.org/0264-9381/8/4/007/
"It is clear from these classical solutions that the problem of topology change has been turned around. The question is not whether topology change can occur, but rather how do we stop topology from changing? Why doesn’t the space around us suddenly split into disconnected pieces?"

Last edited by a moderator:

I remember from Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe that string theory does allow for spacetime topology changes, which can be thought of in terms of ripping /sewing spacetime (like turning a sphere into a doughnut by punching a hole through the middle).

I had forgotten...have to reread again I guess...Greene does go into some detail about how string theory suggests spacetime can "tear" in ways different from black holes and wormholes...Chapter 11, "Tearing the Fabric of Space"

one concept is minimum distances in short distance geometry which obscures any "rips" as we might think in traditional terms.

In a nutshell Greene discusses theoretical pinching of Calabi-Yau spaces and the possibility of flop transitions to a new topologically distinct shape...and Witten showed a string might encircle such a tear shielding the universe from catastrophic consequences.

The level of physics misunderstanding in this thread is astonishing. But I'm not a physicist, so I won't comment. I do feel like I have to correct a few math-related comments though.

JesseM said:

You can't turn a sphere into a torus by punching a hole in the middle.

Naty1 said:
...we have only incomplete hints. I think this is likely because we do not know what space nor time are...nor mass,energy,either for example. And we have no theory (quantum nor relativistic nor informational nor string ) that works at singularities...(big bang, black holes) where ripping seems mostly likely...

Yes we do.

That seems to me to be an entirely reasonable analogy. At least as good as the rubber membrane analogy for gravity...

If Itty means in doesn't happen in a single step, a single mathematical conifold transition, I can buy that...
But there IS a series of diagrams in THE ELEGANT UNIVERSE, Figure 13.3, that shows just such a transition. In fact Smolin says "while string physics remains perfectly well behaved."

I think this is likely because we do not know what space nor time are...nor mass,energy,either for example. And we have no theory (quantum nor relativistic nor informational nor string ) that works at singularities...(big bang, black holes) where ripping seems mostly likely...

Yes we do.

Which part don't you like?? and do provide (a) an explanation of exactly what space and time are or (b) a consistent theory that handles singularities or a reference that explains either. Right now I stand by what I posted.
thanks

First of all, a sphere is a 2-dimensional manifold and a doughnut is a 3-dimensional one. You can't continuously transform one into the other; that is just absurd.

What you mean could be a torus (which is the surface of a doughnut). It won't work in this case either:
A sphere is a closed 2-dimensional manifold. So is a torus. A sphere with a single point removed is an open 2-dimensional manifold. You can't construct a homeomorphism from an open manifold to a closed one.

Naty1 said:
Which part don't you like?? and do provide (a) an explanation of exactly what space and time are or (b) a consistent theory that handles singularities or a reference that explains either. Right now I stand by what I posted.
thanks

You did not explain what you mean by 'singularity'. There are many different kinds of singularities in mathematics. One kind is a removable singularity, and most physical theories deal with this kind quite nicely. Singularities also arise in areas outside of fundamental physics (such as continuum mechanics e.g. the Prandtl-Glauert singularity) and they pose no threat to the acceptability or validity of current theories. I'd be glad to elaborate further, but I will only reply if you precisely define your terminology so I know what exactly we are talking about :)

IttyBittyBit said:
Can't you cut point-size holes in opposite poles of a sphere and then bring the holes together and sew the neighborhoods of each hole together? Not that I'd expect something like this is literally happening in string theory, maybe it's more like a kind of uncertainty in the topology (and I think that topology changes are always 'shielded from view' by branes somehow) Also I wasn't aware "doughnut" was a technical term in mathematics, but from the context I thought it was clear that I meant the 2D surface, just like I used "sphere" to refer to a 2D surface rather than a solid 3D sphere.

Can't you cut point-size holes in opposite poles of a sphere and then bring the holes together and sew the neighborhoods of each hole together?

Exactly! the resulting object would be homeomorphic to a torus. But you have the additional 'sew' operation going on here, so it's not the same as just punching a hole in a sphere. The reason I brought this up is because while you and I may know what we are talking about, the OP might not, and thus might get confused about this.

Not that I'd expect something like this is literally happening in string theory, maybe it's more like a kind of uncertainty in the topology (and I think that topology changes are always 'shielded from view' by branes somehow) Also I wasn't aware "doughnut" was a technical term in mathematics, but from the context I thought it was clear that I meant the 2D surface, just like I used "sphere" to refer to a 2D surface rather than a solid 3D sphere.

It wasn't clear from context at all. Maybe I'm just an idiot, but I thought you were talking about solid objects, not surfaces.
Actually, you won't find the term 'doughnut' used much in math books. But still, people in math circles do use the term, and they usually take it to mean a 'filled' torus. Also, you used the word 'sphere' correctly. The solid interior would be called a ball, not a sphere.

About the string-theory part, I won't comment. I don't understand cohomology yet (even though I'm trying to!) so I don't think I'm qualified to express an opinion about string theory.

Last edited:

IttyBittyBit said:
Exactly! the resulting object would be homeomorphic to a torus. But you have the additional 'sew' operation going on here, so it's not the same as just punching a hole in a sphere. The reason I brought this up is because while you and I may know what we are talking about, the OP might not, and thus might get confused about this.
Yeah, I did allude to "ripping /sewing spacetime" but I didn't mention the sewing part of converting a sphere to a torus, was speaking rather informally...appreciate the clarification.

chroot said:

Phrases like "ripping a hole in the space-time continuum" are abuses of notation typically used in science fiction.

- Warren

The picture in the link clearly depicts a fabric. I believe it is what sailors call a scrim.

was speaking rather informally

yes, and I understood the context...and it was I believe on the plane of the posters apparent question...he/she did not ask for a mathematical description. On the other hand Itty makes some technical statements that I understand to be accurate, some I don't understand, but did not take the earlier posts to assert such a level of technical accuracy.

"ripping a hole in the space-time continuum" are abuses of notation typically used in science fiction.

a bit of an exaggeration, I think, but regardless of one's point of view, these are surely theoretical considerations, not experimantally observed ones so far.

You did not explain what you mean by 'singularity'. There are many different kinds of singularities in mathematics.

I was also posting in an informal way, but I surely do NOT know all types of singularities in mathematics...nor do I care to nor ever claimed to ...on the other hand I was referring to big bang and black holes singularities and posted that explicitly...

So if anyone knows of a paper that addresses these singulairites in a convincing way that relates to the observed physical world,in other words the singularities themselves rather than the nearby environs, I'm willing to read it...if I can understand it...right now my understanding remains that our current QM and relativity theories fail at big bang and black hole singularities...I believe they remain fundamentally still a mystery...at least so to me...

The last thing I am interested in on these forums is inserting myself into a mathematicians discussion about interpreting mathematics relevance to the physical world...there are just too many that don't seem to match our physical universe...so far...

Last edited:

I don't think you can call dimensions, or their related coordinates (or systems) a "fabric", in any way other than informally. To posit a "tear" in a "fabric" is really the linguistic equivalent to "drilling a hole in the AEther."

I think chroot was probably pointing out that modern (accepted) physics does away with the notion of an ether, or substrate to reality. The existence of dimensions doesn't imply that they form an "interwoven fabric". That's a great way to describe spacetime without math, but it's not physical.

It's hard if not impossible to imagine a play without a backdrop, but really that's what the universe seems to be. Unless you posit Branes, or other purely theoretical constructs, 4-dimensions don't describe a fabric that can be "torn". Beyond speculation, there is no reason to believe that a singularity represents a "tear", but a departure from the norm. In theory, that BH may evaporate through HR, and what would be left is presumably NOT a "tear" or a "hole", just radiation.

@IttyBittyBit: Oh please, are you going to tell us about technological singularities next? We're talking about spacetime in the relativity forum, and you seem bright enough to grasp "context". Don't blow smoke up all of our ****es, and don't extend this anymore than needs be with prattle about basics we all learned in grade-school.

Frame Dragger said:
I don't think you can call dimensions, or their related coordinates (or systems) a "fabric", in any way other than informally. To posit a "tear" in a "fabric" is really the linguistic equivalent to "drilling a hole in the AEther."

I completely agree. This is probably the best answer given to the OP's question.

Frame Dragger said:
@IttyBittyBit: Oh please, are you going to tell us about technological singularities next? We're talking about spacetime in the relativity forum, and you seem bright enough to grasp "context".

You misunderstand. I wasn't trying to nitpicky. I was just trying to base the discussion on a firmer ground, at least as far as my own knowledge. I'm sorry if I came off as a nazi.

Don't blow smoke up all of our ****es, and don't extend this anymore than needs be with prattle about basics we all learned in grade-school.

When it comes down to it, aren't the basics all that are really important? It is precisely the fact that the basics are left misunderstood, that leads to statements like 'spacetime fabric' and other kinds of sloppy thinking. I'm sure you would agree with this point.

IttyBittyBit said:
I completely agree. This is probably the best answer given to the OP's question.

You misunderstand. I wasn't trying to nitpicky. I was just trying to base the discussion on a firmer ground, at least as far as my own knowledge. I'm sorry if I came off as a nazi.

When it comes down to it, aren't the basics all that are really important? It is precisely the fact that the basics are left misunderstood, that leads to statements like 'spacetime fabric' and other kinds of sloppy thinking. I'm sure you would agree with this point.

Mmmm, yes I would agree with that.

first I'm not a physicist, I'm a marine biologist and belong to a small group of informal writers, now I was awarded with the task of writting about a force field short novel - very brieff aprox. 30 pages- by a felow physicist scientist,we do this all the time where we exchange science ficction outside our areas of expertize, we're 7 diciplines and 21 members strong
so please don't laugh but i was thinking of using the ed witten idea of a spacetime ripp protected by a supersting that could some how be converted int a brane big enough as to have some practical applications as a shield of sorts, yes I will continue my work as a biologist and not become a physicist but what do you think, is this at least valid as science ficction or am i not even close to impress this guy.
thank you

Gravitons said:
if there is a fabric of space, the four dimension you could call it, space time, is it possible to rip it or open it up, for example do black holes do that, if not what, what would happen?

A rip in the fabric of space-time would be a place where energy couldn't exist. Its energy density would be zero and its rate of time would be infinite. Black holes have an energy density that increases without bound and a rate of time that aproaches zero.

thanks for the reply TCS, if you could indulge me for a last posting.
this then means that if spacetime IS ripped would mean that no energy could be passed from one side of the ripping to the other no matter the size of the rip, thus in principle it could mean that a shield or force field could be constructed this way - a superstring over a ripping be stretched into a brane, where no energy nor matter could pass in principle ( exept gravitons according some) but that is only IN the separation not into the surface of the brane it self,could the surface of the brane take the pressure of a lot of energy or matter? I know I'm talking scientific nonsense but this is for fiction :) - .
Not as subtle as the idea of Arthur C. Clarke's beautiful book :The light from other days.
But could I expand this baseless idea into something akin to science fiction?
Thank you.

I think that there are a variety of interpretations of the underlying structure of the universe. However, you can think of energy as creating the fabric in which it exists. Each particle has an energy distribution and the energy at a particular point in space is determined by the sum of the energy contibutions of every particle in the universe at that point in space. The total energy density at each point provides a type of thickness to the universe at that point, where energy is like rubber in that it pulls in the universe together (think of a rubber band that is stretched and that is thicker at some points). Accordingly, in high energy density (thick) space, space is smaller and time is slower If you look at a ruler in high energy density area while standing in a low energy density area, the ruler will be smaller and a clock will tick slower.

Anyway, if you have a rip in space time (an area of zero energy density), particles or waves directed at the rip would appear to be reflected away from it sort of like anti-gravity (quantum mechanically, a rip is similar a forbidden zone, although if you were completely encircled by a rip, you couldn't tunnel through).

You wouldn't be able to see the rip. If you were encircled by a rip, it would make you invisible. It would be the same as creating your own island universe. It is similar to what happens with a black hole. In an expanding universe, from the frame of the black hole, the outer universe between black holes is so thin as to almost be a rip.

You can think about the universe as being a giant balloon with the thickness of the rubber being determined by the energy density of the baloon and particles are like accoustic waves traveling through the baloon. A rip in space time will affect particle waves in a similar way as a hole in the balloon affects accoustic waves, except that the universe wouldn't deflate.

Last edited:
Likes Mihai_B

wow, I have to reply, so the first paragraph you're talking about relativity.
second one is basically the idea I'm trying to write about, the thing is how would you go about ripping spacetime at will an in a controlled fashion?.
from what I've read, physics books for the layman, I liked best witten's idea of the ripping of spacetime, even though I thought it a novel idea, the second paragraph tells that for physicist is ancient rumination.
so IT would act as the most powerful shield possible, with the ability to control a rip on and off, it would be as if you are, literally, on another universe, even though you could still "be there", as it were, and nothing would affect you, as I understand you ,TCS, from a bullet to nuclear device, or am I inferring to loosely?
as Michio kaku put it in is book: Physics of the Impossible.
'A force field could profoundly affect every aspect of our lives'
Tanks for the insight TCS

warcio said:
wow, I have to reply, so the first paragraph you're talking about relativity.
second one is basically the idea I'm trying to write about, the thing is how would you go about ripping spacetime at will an in a controlled fashion?.
from what I've read, physics books for the layman, I liked best witten's idea of the ripping of spacetime, even though I thought it a novel idea, the second paragraph tells that for physicist is ancient rumination.
so IT would act as the most powerful shield possible, with the ability to control a rip on and off, it would be as if you are, literally, on another universe, even though you could still "be there", as it were, and nothing would affect you, as I understand you ,TCS, from a bullet to nuclear device, or am I inferring to loosely?
as Michio kaku put it in is book: Physics of the Impossible.
'A force field could profoundly affect every aspect of our lives'
Tanks for the insight TCS

I've given some thought as to how to create your force field. Rather than ripping space time, what you would really do is to make a region of space extermely thin.

Imagine that you are at the center of a sphere of radius R and that there is a region of space that surrounds you from R to R + X. What you want to do is to stretch space so that almost all of the energy that is in the region between R and R + X exists in a region very near R + X. The region R + X - dx to R + X will contain almost all of the energy of the entire region.

If you think about a ruler pointed radially away from you in the stretched portion of space, it will still be one foot long, but 11 inches of marking will apear to be in the last one inch of region of space. This will create a trough which will channel the energy away from you.

Creating such a trough would seem to require an understanding of the fine structure of the thickness of the universe. However, such a trough can be thought of as a standing spherical gravity wave where there is only one wavelength. Accordingly, your force field generator would have to be some means of manipulating and combining gravity waves.

The last half-dozen or so messages have more of science fiction about them than science. See this earlier post:

chroot said:

The guy is asking for advice about a science fiction book.

Einstein beleived in a fabric. The fabric is real, particles are imaginary.

TCS said:

Ok, the word fabric can be taken too literally. The fabric of spacetime is merely a descriptive way of viewing a cross section of our 4 dimensional spacetime (a plane which is viewed to curve in General Relativity, more accurately described with the Einstein Field Equations, built from Tensor Calculus). Beyond that, we have to be careful about what we say. What is it that you mean by "ripping a hole in the spacetime fabric"? What would this constitute in reality? It doesn't make sense to say such a thing, spacetime is not a woven fabric which we can cut with scissors, or "rip" with enough force and energy.

The second part of this quote, particles are imaginary? I just.. I don't understand where you're getting that from, but please read up on the workings of Quantum Mecahnics and particle interactions before claiming anything about them. I assure you, particles, such as the electron, do exist. How they are described is very complicated, but they are there.

It would be more accurate to say there exists a physical phenomenon that is accurately described both quantitatively and qualitatively by a notion we call a particle with its given characteristics. However, the Complementarity Principle dictates whether we call that phenomenon a particle or a wave given the context of the experiment or observation. It is partially correct to say a particle is imaginary insofar as a "particle" is an abstract concept we generate to more accurately describe observed physical phenomena.

TCS said:
The guy is asking for advice about a science fiction book.

Yes...I believe you can actually help minimize the stiffness of this "fabric" by using fabric softener. I tend to use Bounty, unless the store brand is on sale.

So, I think we should make sure that we mention that ripping this fabric is only possible if God hasn't done the laundry recently.
*Seriously...threads with MUCH less baseless statements and pseudo-science are deleted every day.
I've never understood why random threads like this, where the very people totally misrepresenting the physics are trashing site administrators, are allowed to stay? In situations like this, the reason that you can't turn a sphere into a torus should be shown in its mathematical notation.
If people still wish to argue, they can argue the math; then there is no room for arguments over semantics.

*This isn't a direct attack on TCS, I just "quoted" the first post I saw that contained the word "fabric."

benk99nenm312 said:
Ok, the word fabric can be taken too literally. The fabric of spacetime is merely a descriptive way of viewing a cross section of our 4 dimensional spacetime (a plane which is viewed to curve in General Relativity, more accurately described with the Einstein Field Equations, built from Tensor Calculus). Beyond that, we have to be careful about what we say. What is it that you mean by "ripping a hole in the spacetime fabric"? What would this constitute in reality? It doesn't make sense to say such a thing, spacetime is not a woven fabric which we can cut with scissors, or "rip" with enough force and energy.

The second part of this quote, particles are imaginary? I just.. I don't understand where you're getting that from, but please read up on the workings of Quantum Mecahnics and particle interactions before claiming anything about them. I assure you, particles, such as the electron, do exist. How they are described is very complicated, but they are there.

What you believe to be particles are just a convieninet way of mathematically describing wave interactions.

Frame Dragger said:

I think chroot was probably pointing out that modern (accepted) physics does away with the notion of an ether, or substrate to reality. The existence of dimensions doesn't imply that they form an "interwoven fabric". That's a great way to describe spacetime without math, but it's not physical.

It's hard if not impossible to imagine a play without a backdrop, but really that's what the universe seems to be. Unless you posit Branes, or other purely theoretical constructs, 4-dimensions don't describe a fabric that can be "torn". Beyond speculation, there is no reason to believe that a singularity represents a "tear", but a departure from the norm. In theory, that BH may evaporate through HR, and what would be left is presumably NOT a "tear" or a "hole", just radiation.

@IttyBittyBit: Oh please, are you going to tell us about technological singularities next? We're talking about spacetime in the relativity forum, and you seem bright enough to grasp "context". Don't blow smoke up all of our ****es, and don't extend this anymore than needs be with prattle about basics we all learned in grade-school.

If you take the threads form a sheet, yuou have no sheet. If you take the waves from space, you have no space. However, it doesn't mean that the sheet has no physical reality.

Last edited:

Troponin said:
Yes...I believe you can actually help minimize the stiffness of this "fabric" by using fabric softener. I tend to use Bounty, unless the store brand is on sale.

So, I think we should make sure that we mention that ripping this fabric is only possible if God hasn't done the laundry recently.

*Seriously...threads with MUCH less baseless statements and pseudo-science are deleted every day.
I've never understood why random threads like this, where the very people totally misrepresenting the physics are trashing site administrators, are allowed to stay? In situations like this, the reason that you can't turn a sphere into a torus should be shown in its mathematical notation.
If people still wish to argue, they can argue the math; then there is no room for arguments over semantics.

*This isn't a direct attack on TCS, I just "quoted" the first post I saw that contained the word "fabric."

If you read my earlier post, I explained what it would mean if the space time fabric was ripped. If you have an actual response to that post please give it instead of resorting to ad hominem attacks.

Last edited:
<h2>1. Can you actually rip the space time fabric?</h2><p>While it is a popular concept in science fiction, the idea of physically ripping the space time fabric is not supported by current scientific understanding. The space time fabric, also known as the fabric of space-time, is a theoretical framework used to explain the relationship between space and time. It is not a tangible material that can be ripped or torn like fabric in our everyday lives.</p><h2>2. Is it possible to create a black hole by ripping the space time fabric?</h2><p>No, it is not possible to create a black hole by ripping the space time fabric. Black holes are formed from the collapse of massive stars, and their formation is not related to the concept of ripping the space time fabric. The space time fabric is a theoretical construct that helps us understand the behavior of gravity and the curvature of space-time.</p><h2>3. Can ripping the space time fabric cause time travel?</h2><p>Currently, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that ripping the space time fabric could lead to time travel. Time travel is a popular concept in science fiction, but it remains a topic of speculation and is not supported by scientific theories or experiments. The space time fabric is a mathematical model used to describe the relationship between space and time, and it does not have the ability to cause time travel.</p><h2>4. What would happen if the space time fabric was ripped?</h2><p>Since the space time fabric is not a physical entity, it cannot be ripped or torn. However, if we consider the hypothetical scenario of the space time fabric being ripped, it would likely have catastrophic consequences for the universe. The fabric of space-time is essential for the functioning of the universe, and any major disruption to it would have far-reaching effects on the laws of physics and the structure of the universe.</p><h2>5. Can we manipulate the space time fabric?</h2><p>While we cannot physically manipulate the space time fabric, we can use mathematical equations and theories to understand and predict its behavior. Scientists have been able to manipulate the fabric of space-time in theoretical models, such as the theory of relativity, to explain the behavior of gravity and the movement of objects in the universe. However, this manipulation is done through mathematical calculations and not through physical means.</p>

1. Can you actually rip the space time fabric?

While it is a popular concept in science fiction, the idea of physically ripping the space time fabric is not supported by current scientific understanding. The space time fabric, also known as the fabric of space-time, is a theoretical framework used to explain the relationship between space and time. It is not a tangible material that can be ripped or torn like fabric in our everyday lives.

2. Is it possible to create a black hole by ripping the space time fabric?

No, it is not possible to create a black hole by ripping the space time fabric. Black holes are formed from the collapse of massive stars, and their formation is not related to the concept of ripping the space time fabric. The space time fabric is a theoretical construct that helps us understand the behavior of gravity and the curvature of space-time.

3. Can ripping the space time fabric cause time travel?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that ripping the space time fabric could lead to time travel. Time travel is a popular concept in science fiction, but it remains a topic of speculation and is not supported by scientific theories or experiments. The space time fabric is a mathematical model used to describe the relationship between space and time, and it does not have the ability to cause time travel.

4. What would happen if the space time fabric was ripped?

Since the space time fabric is not a physical entity, it cannot be ripped or torn. However, if we consider the hypothetical scenario of the space time fabric being ripped, it would likely have catastrophic consequences for the universe. The fabric of space-time is essential for the functioning of the universe, and any major disruption to it would have far-reaching effects on the laws of physics and the structure of the universe.

5. Can we manipulate the space time fabric?

While we cannot physically manipulate the space time fabric, we can use mathematical equations and theories to understand and predict its behavior. Scientists have been able to manipulate the fabric of space-time in theoretical models, such as the theory of relativity, to explain the behavior of gravity and the movement of objects in the universe. However, this manipulation is done through mathematical calculations and not through physical means.