Simplifying Piecewise Functions: fg(x) and gf(x) Calculations

The correct function for g(f(x)) is -x^2+1 , x>=0 , -(x+1)^2 , x<0 .In summary, the conversation discusses defining functions f and g and finding the compositions fg(x) and gf(x). The correct solutions for fg(x) and gf(x) are (x+1)^2 for x>=0 and x^2 for x<0, and x^2+1 for x>=0 and -(x+1)^2 for x<0, respectively. The discussion also touches on the importance of checking the domain when solving similar questions.
thereddevils

Homework Statement

Function f and g are defined as follows :

f(R)=R , f(x)=x^2 , g(R)=R , g(x)=x+1,x>=0 , -x , x<0 (its a piecewise function) . Find fg(x) and gf(x) .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

fg(x)=
(x+1)^2 , x>=0
x^2 , x<0

gf(x)=
x^2+1 , x>=0
-x^2 , x<0

Am i correct ? What are the things i will need to look into when face questions like this ? Cheking the domain ?

Physics news on Phys.org

This looks correct to me.

If you mean f(g(x)) and g(f(x)) then what you have for f(g(x)) is correct, but the other is not.

D H said:
If you mean f(g(x)) and g(f(x)) then what you have for f(g(x)) is correct, but the other is not.

thanks but why ? How did you see that ?

Show your steps on how you derived g(f(x)).

D H said:
Show your steps on how you derived g(f(x)).

ok . Basically , i just substituted the function f(x) into the function g(x) , without doing any other checkings because i do not know what to check . Could you guide me on thsi ? Thanks .

Hint: Is f(x) ever negative?

Ah, based on DH's hint, I now agree that you have done g(f(x)) incorrectly. Thereddevils, do you see it now?

D H said:
Hint: Is f(x) ever negative?

thanks !

What is a piece-wise function problem?

A piece-wise function problem is a mathematical problem that involves a function made up of different equations for different intervals of its domain.

What are the types of piece-wise functions?

There are two types of piece-wise functions: continuous and discrete. Continuous piece-wise functions have a smooth, unbroken graph while discrete piece-wise functions have a graph with distinct points.

How do you graph a piece-wise function?

To graph a piece-wise function, first identify the intervals of the domain and the equations that correspond to each interval. Then, plot the points for each equation and connect them to create the graph.

What is the purpose of using a piece-wise function?

Piece-wise functions are used to model real-world situations where different equations apply to different parts of the problem. They allow for more accurate and realistic representations of these situations.

What are some common applications of piece-wise functions?

Piece-wise functions are frequently used in physics, economics, and engineering to model situations such as motion, production and demand, and signal processing, respectively.