Rocket launching - Newton's Second Law

In summary, the astronaut measured her weight to be three and six times her normal weight during the launch of a rocket. The acceleration of the rocket was determined to be 3.6 times the astronaut's normal weight.
dandy9

Homework Statement

Suppose that during the launch of a rocket from the surface of the earth, an astronaut onboard the rocket stands on a bathroom scale and measures her weight to be 3.6 times her normal weight. Determine the acceleration of the rocket.

Homework Equations

Fnet [tex]\sumF = ma[/tex]

or maybe involving Tension?
Fnet [tex]\sumF = T - Fg = ma[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried the second equation but can't get anywhere. I ended up with T - 35 = a.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your T should be the normal reaction N. So you have N-mg=ma. They told you that N=3.6mg, so that the m will cancel out.

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, but I don't see how the "m"'s cancel out...
If T = 3.6mg then I would have the equation:
35m-35=a
I'm still struggling with getting the mass.

dandy9 said:
Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, but I don't see how the "m"'s cancel out...
If T = 3.6mg then I would have the equation:
35m-35=a
I'm still struggling with getting the mass.

No, you'll have:

N-Fg=Fnet

3.6mg-mg=ma. Then you can divide by m so they all cancel. I don't know how you canceled your m's before, and I especially don't know you have a 35 in there.

Thanks I got it now!

Before, I canceled my "m"'s too early, before I knew that T was N, so when I put in 3.6mg, I was left with that m and didn't know what to do with it.

As for the 35, I used the 3.6 in the wrong way - I used it with Fg because the question stated that the astronaut is 3.6 times her normal weight. Perhaps if you have the time to quickly explain to me why the 3.6 goes with N instead of Fg I would very much appreciate it.

Thank you again!

1. What is Newton's Second Law and how does it relate to rocket launching?

Newton's Second Law states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In the context of rocket launching, this means that the amount of force needed to accelerate a rocket depends on its mass and the desired acceleration.

2. How does the mass of a rocket affect its launch?

The mass of a rocket directly impacts the amount of force needed to launch it. The greater the mass of the rocket, the more force is required to accelerate it to the desired speed. This is why rockets are designed to be as lightweight as possible to reduce the amount of force needed for launch.

3. What is the role of acceleration in rocket launching?

Acceleration is a crucial aspect of rocket launching as it determines the speed and trajectory of the rocket. By applying a force to the rocket, it accelerates and gains speed, allowing it to overcome the force of gravity and reach its desired destination.

4. How does Newton's Second Law explain the movement of a rocket?

Newton's Second Law explains the movement of a rocket by stating that the force applied to it is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. As the rocket's engines produce thrust, it accelerates and gains speed, allowing it to overcome the force of gravity and move in the desired direction.

5. How does air resistance affect rocket launching?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can have a significant impact on rocket launching. As the rocket moves through the air, it experiences resistance, which can slow it down and decrease its acceleration. This is why rockets are designed with streamlined shapes and employ techniques like detachable boosters to minimize the effects of air resistance during launch.