Simplify Math Course Work: How to Rationalize Denominators with Conjugates

In summary: I guess i don't know how to multiply by conjugate since i don't even know what is a conjugate. ><If you have something like \frac{1}{1+\sqrt{x}} then you can get rid of any roots in the denominator (bottom part of the fraction) by multiplying by the conjugate 1-\sqrt{x}Basically, the conjugate of a+b is a-b. When you multiply 1+\sqrt{x} by 1-\sqrt{x} you get 1-x. When you multiply a-b by a+b you get a^2-b^2 so you can see that if a and b are
Michael_Light

Homework Statement

Simplify [PLAIN]http://www4c.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP249819e8ec729ig8433b00002e0fh793haeag630?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=15&w=137&h=59 Please kindly show the working steps as well. ^^ Thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried but i have no idea on how to start...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

I can't see what you posted. Can you write it here?

Ok, by simplification I assume they mean rationalizing the denominator (getting rid of square roots in the denominator). Do you know about multiplying by the conjugate?

Mentallic said:
Ok, by simplification I assume they mean rationalizing the denominator (getting rid of square roots in the denominator). Do you know about multiplying by the conjugate?

I guess i don't know how to multiply by conjugate since i don't even know what is a conjugate. ><

If you have something like [tex]\frac{1}{1+\sqrt{x}}[/tex] then you can get rid of any roots in the denominator (bottom part of the fraction) by multiplying by the conjugate [tex]1-\sqrt{x}[/tex]
Basically, the conjugate of a+b is a-b. When you multiply [tex]1+\sqrt{x}[/tex] by [tex]1-\sqrt{x}[/tex] you get [tex]1-x[/tex]. When you multiply a-b by a+b you get [tex]a^2-b^2[/tex] so you can see that if a and b are square roots, the square roots will vanish in the denominator. So multiplying by the top and the bottom will give you [tex]\frac{1}{1+\sqrt{x}}=\frac{(1-\sqrt{x})}{(1+\sqrt{x})(1-\sqrt{x})}=\frac{1-\sqrt{x}}{1-x}[/tex]
That is what you call rationalizing the denominator.

Now, for your question, the conjugate of [tex]\sqrt{1-x^2}+\sqrt{1+x^2}[/tex] will be...?

Mentallic said:
If you have something like [tex]\frac{1}{1+\sqrt{x}}[/tex] then you can get rid of any roots in the denominator (bottom part of the fraction) by multiplying by the conjugate [tex]1-\sqrt{x}[/tex]
Basically, the conjugate of a+b is a-b. When you multiply [tex]1+\sqrt{x}[/tex] by [tex]1-\sqrt{x}[/tex] you get [tex]1-x[/tex]. When you multiply a-b by a+b you get [tex]a^2-b^2[/tex] so you can see that if a and b are square roots, the square roots will vanish in the denominator. So multiplying by the top and the bottom will give you [tex]\frac{1}{1+\sqrt{x}}=\frac{(1-\sqrt{x})}{(1+\sqrt{x})(1-\sqrt{x})}=\frac{1-\sqrt{x}}{1-x}[/tex]
That is what you call rationalizing the denominator.

Now, for your question, the conjugate of [tex]\sqrt{1-x^2}+\sqrt{1+x^2}[/tex] will be...?

Oo.. i don't know that is called conjugate. >< By rationalizing the denominator with its conjugate, now i managed to solve the question! Thanks! ^^

What is the purpose of simplifying math course work?

The purpose of simplifying math course work is to make complex mathematical concepts easier to understand and solve. By breaking down complicated problems into simpler steps and using basic mathematical rules, students can better grasp the underlying principles and apply them to more advanced problems.

How can simplifying math course work benefit students?

Simplifying math course work can benefit students in several ways. It can help improve their critical thinking skills, enhance their problem-solving abilities, and build their confidence in tackling challenging math problems. Additionally, simplifying math course work can make the subject more enjoyable and less intimidating for students.

What are some common strategies for simplifying math course work?

Some common strategies for simplifying math course work include breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts, using visual aids such as diagrams or graphs, and using mnemonic devices to remember important concepts. Additionally, students can simplify math course work by practicing regularly and seeking help from teachers or tutors when needed.

How can I determine the level of simplification needed for a math problem?

The level of simplification needed for a math problem will depend on the complexity of the problem and the student's understanding of the underlying concepts. It is important to identify the key concepts and apply the appropriate simplification strategies, such as using basic algebraic rules or simplifying fractions, to reach a solution. If the problem is still too challenging, students can seek additional resources or guidance from their teacher.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying math course work?

Some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying math course work include not fully understanding the problem before attempting to solve it, skipping steps in the simplification process, and using incorrect mathematical rules or formulas. It is important to carefully read and analyze the problem, show all steps and work neatly, and double-check the solution to ensure accuracy.