Determine Initial & Final n Values of Hydrogen Absorbing Light of 4055nm

In summary: The equation n=E1/En is not the change in energy formula, which is what i needed. I think you mentioned before that it's just a ratio comparison. However though, the energy given in this question is the change in energy not the energy level at a particular level, for instance, 6. So your equation is the Energy eqaution equalled to the Rydberg equation. However, since the latter equation is equal to \frac{1}{\lambda}, the correct equation would be E=hc times the Rydberg eq. I got a weird answer with that though.
needhelpperson
The hydrogen atom can absorb light of wavelength 4055nm. Determine the inital and final values of n associated with this absorption.

Well i figured out the Energy it absorbed

(h*c)/(wavelength)

= ((6.63*10-34)*(3*10^8))/(4055/10^9)

=4.905 * 10^-20 J

so 4905*10^-20 = -2.18*10-18*(1/nf^2 - 1/ni^2)

1/nf^2 - 1/ni^2 = -.0225

How do i solve these two unknowns, other than guess and check?

Physics news on Phys.org
You know the energy associated with the first energy level of the hydrogen atom. You should also have a formula relating energy at nth level, energy at first level, and n. Did you not develop this formula in class?

Sirus said:
You know the energy associated with the first energy level of the hydrogen atom. You should also have a formula relating energy at nth level, energy at first level, and n. Did you not develop this formula in class?

no we did not. Please explain it. I would greatly appreciate it...

The derivations are tedious, and although I always advise you to know where a formula came from before you use it, here it is:
[tex]E_n=\frac{E_1}{n^2}[/tex]
Another useful one relates radius and energy level:
[tex]r_n=n^{2}r_1[/tex]
Look these up in a textbook or on the internet to see where they come from.

Sirus said:
The derivations are tedious, and although I always advise you to know where a formula came from before you use it, here it is:
[tex]E_n=\frac{E_1}{n^2}[/tex]
Another useful one relates radius and energy level:
[tex]r_n=n^{2}r_1[/tex]
Look these up in a textbook or on the internet to see where they come from.

after looking at those formulas, How are they suppose to help me solve the two unkowns? How can I apply them? the inital n is not 1.

I don't see why the initial n should be anything other than 1. It will only be higher if the atom has already had an electron bumped up to a higher energy level before absorbing the 4055-nm light. I'm not sure why they ask for initial n; it should just be 1.

Sirus said:
I don't see why the initial n should be anything other than 1. It will only be higher if the atom has already had an electron bumped up to a higher energy level before absorbing the 4055-nm light. I'm not sure why they ask for initial n; it should just be 1.

I already know the answer to this question. All i need is a more practical method to solve problems like these other than just using "guess and check".
As you were saying "It will only be higher if the atom has already had an electron bumped up to a higher energy level... ", that is what we're assuming.

If we were to assume initial n is 1

nf = root of 1/.9775

nf has to be a whole number and it is closest to 1. However this is not the answer, otherwise there would be no energy change. (1-1 = 0)

Last edited:
I got n=6 using the energy formula from my earlier post. I'm not sure what you are doing above. Here is my work:

[tex]n=\sqrt{\frac{E_1}{E_n}}=\sqrt{\frac{13.6 eV}{\frac{4.905\times10^{-20}J}{\frac{1.60\times10^{-19}J}{eV}}}}=6.660547651[/tex]
Therefore n=6 is the final energy level. Is that the answer?

Sirus said:
I got n=6 using the energy formula from my earlier post. I'm not sure what you are doing above. Here is my work:

[tex]n=\sqrt{\frac{E_1}{E_n}}=\sqrt{\frac{13.6 eV}{\frac{4.905\times10^{-20}J}{\frac{1.60\times10^{-19}J}{eV}}}}=6.660547651[/tex]
Therefore n=6 is the final energy level. Is that the answer?

The formula n = E1/En is not the change in energy formula, which is what i needed. I think you mentioned before that it's just a ratio comparison. However though, the energy given in this question is the change in energy not the energy level at a particular level, for instance, 6.

Well let's test your nf = 6

We were given this Formula as the change in energy
planks constant * speed of light / the wavelength of the atom = -2.18 * 10^-18 * (1/nf^2-1/ni^2)

well the change in energy would be 4.905*10^-20 J

(-2.18*10^-18)*(1/36-1) = 2.12 *10^-18 J
Obviously 6 is not the right answer since it does not match 4.905*10^-20 J
And thus the initial n is not 1.

The answers are nf = 5 ni = 4. Try it.
But I am still waiting to see if anyone has a more practical method.

Last edited:
Well, your equation is the Energy eqaution equalled to the Rydberg equation. However, since the latter equation is equal to [itex]\frac{1}{\lambda}[/itex], the correct equation would be E=hc times the Rydberg eq. I got a weird answer with that though.

I still don't see why you don't think my method will work. I am finding the energy level associated with the energy of the photons of the light (not all of the energy is absorbed, because there is not enough to reach n=7 and more than enough for n=6).

Sirus said:
Well, your equation is the Energy eqaution equalled to the Rydberg equation. However, since the latter equation is equal to [itex]\frac{1}{\lambda}[/itex], the correct equation would be E=hc times the Rydberg eq. I got a weird answer with that though.

I still don't see why you don't think my method will work. I am finding the energy level associated with the energy of the photons of the light (not all of the energy is absorbed, because there is not enough to reach n=7 and more than enough for n=6).

Like i said before, the energy given is the change in energy. Not the energy at an orbital.

And i showed you using the Rydberg's equation for the change in energy that it didn't work in nf = 6.

Last edited:
I guess your method is probably the best one then. I usually use my equations for this type of thing, but if your method works then you can use that.

This was fun :smile:

Sirus

1. How is the initial n value of hydrogen determined during absorption of 4055nm light?

The initial n value of hydrogen is determined by analyzing the energy levels of the hydrogen atom. When a hydrogen atom absorbs light of 4055nm, it excites the electron in the n=1 energy level to a higher energy level, which can be calculated using the formula E = hc/λ, where h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and λ is the wavelength of light.

2. What is the significance of the final n value in absorption of 4055nm light by hydrogen?

The final n value in absorption of 4055nm light by hydrogen indicates the energy level that the electron has moved to after absorbing the light. This value can be used to determine the amount of energy absorbed by the hydrogen atom and can also provide information about the energy levels of the hydrogen atom.

3. How does the absorption of 4055nm light by hydrogen relate to the Balmer series?

The absorption of 4055nm light by hydrogen is one of the transitions in the Balmer series. This series represents the transitions of the electron from higher energy levels (n ≥ 3) to the n=2 energy level. The absorption of 4055nm light corresponds to the n=2 to n=6 transition in the Balmer series.

4. Can the initial and final n values of hydrogen be calculated for other wavelengths of light?

Yes, the initial and final n values of hydrogen can be calculated for any wavelength of light using the formula E = hc/λ. However, the Balmer series specifically deals with transitions between energy levels in the visible region, so it is most commonly used for wavelengths in this range.

5. How is the absorption of 4055nm light by hydrogen useful in scientific research?

The absorption of 4055nm light by hydrogen can provide valuable information about the energy levels and electronic structure of the hydrogen atom. This can be useful in various fields such as astrophysics, where the Balmer series can be observed in the spectra of stars, or in chemistry, where the absorption of light is used in spectroscopy to identify and analyze different compounds.