Why exactly do electrons emit photons?

In summary, when electrons gain enough energy to move out to a higher energy orbit then back to their ground state, they release a photon. Electromagnetic radiation is composed of a wide range of frequencies, and different colors have different frequencies. When an electron is 'jiggled' up and down, this causes a release of energy that leads to electromagnetic waves.
MegaDeth
When electrons gain enough energy to move out to a higher energy orbit then back to their ground state, why do they release a photon? Also, what exactly is 'electromagnetic' about light?

Physics news on Phys.org
They have to lose energy to fall back down into the lower orbitals. The only way they can do this is by releasing a photon. They are not "orbiting" the atom in the way a planet orbits a star. The exist kind of like a standing wave in which there are only certain frequencies (energy levels) that they can have.

Light is composed of an oscillating electric and magenetic field. That is why it is electromagnetic.

MegaDeth said:
When electrons gain enough energy to move out to a higher energy orbit then back to their ground state, why do they release a photon? Also, what exactly is 'electromagnetic' about light?

You DO know that I don't need an electron decaying back to its lower orbital to get light, don't you? I could take an electron (or a proton or any charged particle) and jiggle it up and down, and voila! I've created electromagnetic wave/light! It isn't just a property of electrons!

Zz.

A photon is a quanta, a bundle, of electromagnetic radiation...a single photon is the smallest increment of radiation...and electromagnetic radiation is a form of energy...so when a particle releases a photon it is ridding itself of some energy...the higher energy orbital is less stable...analogous to a pencil balanced on it's point...

Electromagnetic waves consist of a wide range of frequencies..."light" is part of that...and different colors have different frequencies...Light refers informally to the visible portion of the spectrum...sometimes to the entire spectrum.

Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
You DO know that I don't need an electron decaying back to its lower orbital to get light, don't you? I could take an electron (or a proton or any charged particle) and jiggle it up and down, and voila! I've created electromagnetic wave/light! It isn't just a property of electrons!

Zz.

Would you mind posting a link showing photons of light being produced in this manner? I am not sure I understand "jiggle". TIA.

zincshow said:
Would you mind posting a link showing photons of light being produced in this manner? I am not sure I understand "jiggle". TIA.

Jiggle: To jiggle.

Just like it sounds!

the description of electromagnetic radiation is a direct result of maxwell's equations that predict electromagnetic radiation in changing magnetic and electric fields. that the EM radiation is quantized, was most simply described by the famous photoelectric effect.

ZapperZ said:

Zz.

Well to be honest, I never said that you DO need an electron decaying back to its lower orbital to get light. :S That's really the only way I know how light is produced. Ok, but what actually causes an EM wave to form when you 'jiggle' an ion up and down?

Drakkith said:
They have to lose energy to fall back down into the lower orbitals. The only way they can do this is by releasing a photon. They are not "orbiting" the atom in the way a planet orbits a star. The exist kind of like a standing wave in which there are only certain frequencies (energy levels) that they can have.

Light is composed of an oscillating electric and magenetic field. That is why it is electromagnetic.

I know the electrons don't actually orbit the nucleus, ok, so do they release a photon because it's pure energy? When you say light is composed of an oscillating electric and magenetic field, what does that mean exactly? I've heard it before, but why do the fields oscillate?

zincshow said:

Go to ANY synchrotron light source facility. Look up what happens when the bunches of electrons go through a series of magnets called either undulator or wiggler (the names should already give you hints on what they do to the electron bunches).

Zz.

MegaDeth said:
I know the electrons don't actually orbit the nucleus, ok, so do they release a photon because it's pure energy? When you say light is composed of an oscillating electric and magenetic field, what does that mean exactly? I've heard it before, but why do the fields oscillate?

Heh, I tried writing something up right before bedtime here, but I'm so tired i couldn't even think. Maybe tomorrow!

MegaDeth said:
Well to be honest, I never said that you DO need an electron decaying back to its lower orbital to get light. :S That's really the only way I know how light is produced. Ok, but what actually causes an EM wave to form when you 'jiggle' an ion up and down?

The acceleration of the charge in the "jiggling" process causes radiation, it's standard electrodynamics. Two of the four Maxwell equations basically say (gross simplification) "electric fields are generated from changing magnetic fields" and "magnetic fields are generated from changing electric fields". If you have a charge that is moving with constant velocity it generates a static magnetic field. But if you have a charge that is accelerating, it will cause a varying magnetic field, which in turn alters the electric field. The loop continues and a ripple in the electromagnetic field propagates away from the charge. That's a photon.Anyway it's far more elegant when you see it derived from the actual equations, apologies if my explanation is slightly wrong or messy.

EDIT- 500th post!

Likes nyroko
ZapperZ said:
Go to ANY synchrotron light source facility. Look up what happens when the bunches of electrons go through a series of magnets called either undulator or wiggler (the names should already give you hints on what they do to the electron bunches).

Zz.

Great example of jiggling electrons (sounds a lot like Bremsstrahlung radiation). Do you know one for proton jiggling that does not involve electrons jumping from energy level to energy level?

ardie said:
again it looks like everyone is criticising the fellaw instead of showing him what needs to be shown. here is an example of electromagnetic radiation due to moving charges:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipole#Dipole_radiation

I don't see how we have been "criticising" instead of teaching. But I guess everyone has their own views.

zincshow said:
Great example of jiggling electrons (sounds a lot like Bremsstrahlung radiation). Do you know one for proton jiggling that does not involve electrons jumping from energy level to energy level?

The Tevatron, the LHC, and RHIC.

Those are either protons, or heavy ions, going around in circles, which by definition, are accelerating. The radiation they give off due to the curved path is why these circular accelerators are getting larger and larger as they need to go to higher energies.

These may not be "jiggling", but it is the same principle.

Zz.

To fall down to a lower energy level, they loose energy (that cannot appear to just loose it in the case that is disappears as you cannot destroy energy, think conservation of energy) so the way to loose this energy is to release it by releasing a photon.
Light is part of the electromagnetic spectrum as well as x-rays and game-rays, all rays you can think of, something is in the electromagnetic spectrum if it has a frequency

1. Why do electrons emit photons?

Electrons emit photons because they are constantly in motion and have energy. When electrons move from a higher energy state to a lower energy state, they release energy in the form of photons.

2. How does electron movement lead to photon emission?

Electrons have a negative charge and are attracted to the positive nucleus of an atom. However, they also have a wave-like nature and can exist in multiple energy states simultaneously. When an electron jumps from a higher energy state to a lower one, it releases energy in the form of a photon.

3. What determines the energy of the emitted photons?

The energy of a photon emitted by an electron is determined by the difference in energy between the two energy states. The greater the difference in energy, the higher the energy of the photon emitted.

4. Can electrons emit photons in any direction?

Yes, electrons can emit photons in any direction. However, the direction is random and depends on the specific energy state the electron is in at the time of emission.

5. Why is photon emission important in various fields of science?

Photon emission is important in various fields of science because it allows for the transfer of energy and information. For example, in electronics, it is used in the creation and transfer of electricity. In astronomy, it is used to study the properties and behavior of celestial bodies.