Why Do Mosquitoes Seem to Target Some People More Than Others?

• Thread starter Ms Music
  • Start date
In summary, mosquitoes are attracted to people who produce excess amounts of carbon dioxide, certain acids, and strong fragrances. Some individuals may be more efficient at processing cholesterol and acids, making them less attractive to mosquitoes. Pregnant women also tend to attract more mosquitoes due to their increased production of carbon dioxide. Movement and heat can also attract them. Eating certain foods, such as bananas or garlic, does not have an effect on mosquito attraction. Mosquitoes are also attracted to certain chemicals, such as octenol. Using citronella candles or other repellents can help keep mosquitoes away.
Ms Music
Why is that? I can't really complain, but it has been like that all my life. Last weekend we were up in the mountains, and my daughter came home with about a dozen mosquito bites. I had none. She was wearing jeans, I was wearing shorts. She even had bites on her legs, so obviously they were so tempted by her blood that they somehow went through her jeans, while they left my bare legs alone.

Okay, jokes about my not being sweet enough and whatever are very welcome, I truly enjoy the humor. But I really would like to understand why, so please make sure there are at least a few plausible answers amongst the jabs. I feel like I am either superior, or damaged goods.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ms Music said:
Why is that? I can't really complain, but it has been like that all my life. Last weekend we were up in the mountains, and my daughter came home with about a dozen mosquito bites. I had none. She was wearing jeans, I was wearing shorts. She even had bites on her legs, so obviously they were so tempted by her blood that they somehow went through her jeans, while they left my bare legs alone.

Okay, jokes about my not being sweet enough and whatever are very welcome, I truly enjoy the humor. But I really would like to understand why, so please make sure there are at least a few plausible answers amongst the jabs. I feel like I am either superior, or damaged goods.
Ms Music,

I was told that mosquito's are attracted to people who give off too much carbon dioxide.
Yep, I looked it up, that and other reasons listed below: Here is what http://www.webmd.com/allergies/features/are-you-mosquito-magnet" [Broken] had to say:

No comment on whether you are superior or damaged goods...
"People with high concentrations of steroids or cholesterol on their skin surface attract mosquitoes," Butler tells WebMD. That doesn't necessarily mean that mosquitoes prey on people with higher overall levels of cholesterol, Butler explains. These people simply may be more efficient at processing cholesterol, the byproducts of which remain on the skin's surface.

Mosquitoes also target people who produce excess amounts of certain acids, such as uric acid, explains entomologist John Edman, PhD, spokesman for the Entomological Society of America. These substances can trigger mosquitoes' sense of smell, luring them to land on unsuspecting victims.

But the process of attraction begins long before the landing. Mosquitoes can smell their dinner from an impressive distance of up to 50 meters, explains Edman. This doesn't bode well for people who emit large quantities of carbon dioxide.

"Any type of carbon dioxide is attractive, even over a long distance," Conlon says. Larger people tend to give off more carbon dioxide, which is why mosquitoes typically prefer munching on adults to small children. Pregnant women are also at increased risk, as they produce a greater-than-normal amount of exhaled carbon dioxide. Movement and heat also attract mosquitoes.

So if you want to avoid an onslaught of mosquito bites at your next outdoor gathering, stake out a chaise lounge rather than a spot on the volleyball team. Here's why. As you run around the volleyball court, the mosquitoes sense your movement and head toward you. When you pant from exertion, the smell of carbon dioxide from your heavy breathing draws them closer. So does the lactic acid from your sweat glands. And then -- gotcha.

Rhody... :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mosquitoes don't hate you, they just really like your daughter.

It is said that if you eat bananas, you will attract mosquitoes, whereas if you eat garlic you will repel them. While your pores can emit scents, no studies suggest these attract or repel mosquitoes. Mosquitoes are attracted to carbon dioxide and strong fragrances from soaps, lotions, deodorants, hair care products and perfumes.
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/pub/pubhealth/west_nile/wnv_repellent.html [Broken]

Yeah, its carbon dioxide and sweat.

Of course, all the mosquitoes that bite are females...

KrisOhn said:

BAHAHA! :devil:

That is interesting that I may just be better at processing cholesterol and acids than her. Her body type is definitely NOT from my side of the family, and may have the health genetics of her dad's family.

I didn't even know about these guys. They look mean.

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2011-09/64771363.jpg

http://www.thirdage.com/news/asian-tiger-mosquito-infestation-found-in-california-neighborhood_09-15-2011"

Ms Music said:

Are you sure that you are not being bitten, or are you like me, I just don't react to the bite; No bump, no itch, no evidence that I had ever been bitten.

Wow Janus, I never thought of it like that. I definitely DO get bitten at times (and the itchy bumps), but not at the rate that others do. Do you never get the itchy bump?

KrisOhn said:

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/pub/pubhealth/west_nile/wnv_repellent.html [Broken]

wuliheron said:
Yeah, its carbon dioxide and sweat.

Of course, all the mosquitoes that bite are females...

They also really, really like octenol (1-octen-3-ol):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1-Octen-3-ol

During the summer, I would work in the cafeteria of my building a lot. Unfortunately, mosquitoes seemed to swarm me (there, and even in the lab!) I ended up buying and lighting citronella tea lights, which worked really well (without setting off fire alarms or sprinklers).

Ms Music said:

By any chance, are you diabetic? I know someone who used to claim similar thing, and we found eventually that she wasn't just sensing the bite. She was diabetic.

Ms Music said:
Wow Janus, I never thought of it like that. I definitely DO get bitten at times (and the itchy bumps), but not at the rate that others do. Do you never get the itchy bump?

Never. My wife, however is very sensitive to their bites. One bite can cause a raised welt several inches across, that itches horribly. If we go camping, she has to constantly be applying insect repellant and brings a supply of antihistamines.

I am not diabetic, but I AM hypoglycemic? Not sure if I was at a young age though, but definitely a possibility if hypoglycemia would make you unattractive to mosquitoes also.

The octenol thought is interesting. Would that mean I might be lower in linoleic acids? That could explain some of my health issues...

How luck you are...
I wish they hated me as well! :sigh:

How luck you are...
I wish they hated me as well! :sigh:

They're not so bad. What I hated were the biting black flies. Fortunately, one doesn't have to sail far from shore before they stop bothering you.

Don't have much of either up here.

They attack the back of my calves. Once one bites, do all the rest smell the bite to attack the same area. Almost never do I get bit on the front; shins.

1. Why do mosquitoes always seem to bite me more than others?

There are a few factors that can contribute to mosquitoes preferring to bite certain individuals more than others. One factor is body odor, as mosquitoes are attracted to certain scents produced by our bodies. Another factor is the amount of carbon dioxide we exhale, as mosquitoes can detect this and use it to locate their next meal. Genetics can also play a role in how attractive we are to mosquitoes.

2. Is there a reason why mosquitoes seem to target certain areas of my body?

Yes, there are certain areas of the body that mosquitoes are attracted to more than others. This is because these areas tend to be warmer and have more blood vessels closer to the surface, making it easier for mosquitoes to detect and access blood. These areas include the ankles, wrists, and neck.

3. Can I do anything to make myself less attractive to mosquitoes?

Yes, there are some steps you can take to make yourself less attractive to mosquitoes. These include wearing light-colored clothing, as mosquitoes are attracted to dark colors, using insect repellent, and avoiding being outside during peak mosquito activity times (usually dawn and dusk).

4. Why do mosquitoes only bite some people and not others?

As mentioned before, there are a few factors that can make some individuals more attractive to mosquitoes than others. These factors include body odor, carbon dioxide emission, and genetics. Additionally, some people may have a higher body temperature, making them more attractive to mosquitoes.

5. How can I protect myself from getting bitten by mosquitoes?

Aside from the steps mentioned above, you can also try to eliminate standing water around your home, as this is where mosquitoes breed. You can also use mosquito netting or screens to prevent them from entering your home. If you live in an area with a high mosquito population, you may also want to consider using a mosquito trap or hiring a professional pest control service.