Gravitational field calculation question

In summary, electromagnetic fields can produce gravitational fields, and to calculate the strength of the gravitational field, one must first calculate the electromagnetic stress-energy tensor and solve the Einstein field equations. This can be complicated and is often done perturbatively. The electromagnetic stress-energy tensor can be calculated in SI or CGS units, and the solution of the EFE is the electro-vacuum. Additionally, a ring laser and a non-rotating sphere of lasers can both produce gravitational fields, and time dilation would increase if one were to get as close to a black hole as possible without being ripped apart or rotating around it.
Monster99d
I do believe that somewhere I have read that an electromagnetic field does produce a gravitational field.

So, considering the statement above, how can one calculate the strength of a gravitational field if the strength of an electromagnetic field is given?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Monster99d, welcome to PF!

The first step is to calculate the electromagnetic stress energy tensor. Then, from that, you solve the Einstein field equations like normal. It is complicated because everything becomes coupled and non linear, so usually you just do it perturbatively.

Ok. So I substitute the electromagnetic stress-energy tensor (T^μv) into the equation:

[8(3.1415)G/c^4] * Tμv

as Tμv, correct?

And for the electromagnetic stess-energy tensor; would I calculate it in SI units or CGS units? Also do I need to solve it as a matrix or just as an equation?

Another question; in Dr. Mallett's papers, he has shown that a ring laser does produce a gravitational field.

So, if one constructed a machine that creates a non rotating sphere of lasers by taking a laser source and simply bouncing it off of several mirrors, would that create a gravitational field?

Another question; would time dilation be increased if you were as close to a black hole as possible without being ripped apart or rotating around it?

1. What is a gravitational field?

A gravitational field is a region of space around a massive object where the force of gravity can be detected.

2. How is the strength of a gravitational field calculated?

The strength of a gravitational field is calculated using the gravitational constant (G) and the mass of the object creating the field. The formula is F = GmM/r^2, where F is the force of gravity, m is the mass of the object experiencing the field, M is the mass of the object creating the field, and r is the distance between the two objects.

3. What factors affect the strength of a gravitational field?

The strength of a gravitational field is affected by the mass of the object creating the field and the distance between the two objects. The greater the mass of the object and the closer the distance, the stronger the gravitational field will be.

4. How is a gravitational field represented?

A gravitational field is typically represented by a vector field, where the direction and magnitude of the arrows indicate the direction and strength of the gravitational force at various points in space.

5. Can the strength of a gravitational field be changed?

The strength of a gravitational field cannot be changed, as it is a fundamental property of an object based on its mass. However, the effects of a gravitational field can be changed by altering the mass or distance of objects within the field.