What does state mean in quantum mechanics?

In summary, "state" in quantum mechanics refers to a specification of all possible physical properties of a particle, which allows for the calculation of probabilities for different outcomes. It is similar to a list of non-negative numbers in ordinary probability theory. In classical mechanics, a state is represented by a pair of position and velocity or position and momentum, and knowing the state allows for the calculation of probabilities for different measurements. In quantum mechanics, wavefunctions represent pure states, while density operators represent mixed states.
timothyc
What does "state" mean in quantum mechanics?

I'm currently self learning quantum mechanics from Griffith's book. I'm in the first chapter and he's using phrases like "a particle in state Ψ", but he doesn't explain what it means by "state".
Can someone please enlighten me?

Physics news on Phys.org

timothyc said:
I'm currently self learning quantum mechanics from Griffith's book. I'm in the first chapter and he's using phrases like "a particle in state Ψ", but he doesn't explain what it means by "state".
Can someone please enlighten me?

It means a specification of everything that can be specified about the physical properties of the particle.

In ordinary probability theory a state is simply a list of non negative numbers that adds up to one and gives the probability of getting its corresponding outcome. It's similar in QM - the outcomes are the complex vector elements of the QM state space relevant to your problem and a state allows you to calculate the probability of those outcomes. Specifically it is a positive definite operator P of trace 1 and Tr(P |u><u|) gives the probability of getting the vector |u> (|u> normalized).

I share your frustration - the above probably uses notation Griffith has not introduced - at least from what I seem to recall when reading it ages ago myself. Its really 'bad' when they don't explain a concept and its true explanation requires concepts beyond what they have imparted. I got frustrated with that sort of stuff all the time.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:

The state is what you need to know to be able to assign probabilities to all possible* results of all measurements. In particular, if you know the state and what measuring device is being used, you will be able to assign probabilities to the possible results of the measurement you're doing right now.

If you know the preparation procedure that the particle has been subjected to, you have enough information, but that doesn't mean that preparation=state, because it's possible that many different preparation procedures are associated with the same probability assignments. So a state should be thought of as an equivalence class of preparation procedures.

There are many ways to represent a state mathematically. In a book like Griffiths (which I have only read a very small part of), the only mathematical representation of a state is a wavefunction.

In classical mechanics, a state is usually represented by a pair (x,v) or (x,p). x is position, v is velocity and p is momentum. The reason for that is that the theory is built up around a differential equation of the form x''(t)=f(x'(t),x(t),t), which has a unique solution x for each initial condition. An initial condition is a pair of equalities that specify the values of the two functions at a single point in their domain: x(t0)=x0, p(t0)=p0. If you know the solution x, you can compute v and p. So if you know the value of (x(t),v(t)) or (x(t),p(t)) at one time, you can determine it at all times.

Note that this is consistent with the more general definition of "state" that I opened with, because knowing the state of a classical system allows you to assign probabilities to each possible* result of each measurement. We don't usually talk about classical mechanics in this way, because the probabilities are always 0 or 1 when we have the maximum amount of obtainable information about the system. (The maximum amount of information that would be obtainable in principle in a universe that's exactly as described by this classical theory).

By the way, if we have all the relevant obtainable information, the state is said to be pure. If we can only assign a probability to each preparation procedure that may have been used, the state is said to be mixed. Wavefunctions in QM represent pure states. Mixed states are represented by density operators.
*) By "possible results of measurements", I mean those numbers that the measuring device is capable of telling us is the result. I don't mean that every possible results can actually happen in a realistic situation.

Last edited:

1. What is a "state" in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, a "state" refers to the mathematical description of a physical system at a given time. It represents all the possible properties and behaviors of the system, including the position, momentum, and energy of particles.

2. How is the state of a quantum system described?

The state of a quantum system is typically described using a wave function, which is a mathematical equation that represents the probability of finding a particle in a particular state. The wave function can be used to calculate the properties of the system, such as the location of particles or the outcome of measurements.

3. What is the significance of the state in quantum mechanics?

The state of a quantum system is crucial in determining the behavior and properties of particles. It allows for the prediction of outcomes of measurements and interactions with other particles, and it also plays a role in the phenomenon of quantum entanglement.

4. Can the state of a quantum system change?

Yes, the state of a quantum system can change over time through processes such as quantum superposition and collapse. These changes can be described using mathematical equations, such as the Schrödinger equation, which govern the evolution of the state of a quantum system.

5. How does the state of a quantum system relate to classical physics?

In classical physics, the state of a system is fully described by its properties, such as position and velocity. In quantum mechanics, however, the state is described using a wave function that contains information about all possible properties of the system. This difference reflects the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics and the uncertainty inherent in measuring the properties of particles at the quantum level.