What is the relativistic equation for finding kinetic energy?

In summary, a ball traveling at 99% the speed of light has a kinetic energy of (gamma - 1)mc^2. Photons do not have kinetic energy.
Ralphonsicus
Let's say, I wanted to find the kinetic energy of a ball traveling at 99% the speed of light, what is the equation used for that calculation?

And also, do photons have kinetic energy?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ralphonsicus said:
Let's say, I wanted to find the kinetic energy of a ball traveling at 99% the speed of light, what is the equation used for that calculation?

Thanks.

The formula for a particle of mass m has a kinetic energy is given by [itex](\gamma - 1)mc^2[/itex] where [itex]\gamma = {{1}\over{\sqrt{1-{{v^2}\over{c^2}}}}}[/itex] where c is the speed of light.

The energy of a photon with frequency [itex]f[/itex] is [itex]E_{photon} = hf[/itex] where h is Planck's constant.

mc^2(γ - 1)

where γ = 1/(√(1- v^2/c^)

Ralphonsicus said:
Here you go :wink: http://bit.ly/xZN1YS
Ralphonsicus said:
I don't think so because they are massless.

I missed the question about photons. What Pengwino says is correct, but (and we simul-posted, else I wouldn't have bothered) adding a little more, and disagreeing with Ryan_m_b:

Since a photon is massless it has no rest energy. Therefore all of its energy is kinetic. For a massive particle, you can say the frame dependent energy has a minimum - the rest energy; the frame dependent additional energy is kinetic. For a photon, there is no minimum - you can redshift to arbitrarily close to zero energy by choice of frame, consistent with its having no rest energy and all kinetic energy.

PAllen said:
disagreeing with Ryan_m_b...Since a photon is massless it has no rest energy. Therefore all of its energy is kinetic
I tried to make it clear I wasn't sure :smile: good to learn though, cheers.

The relativistic energy-momentum relation reads

[tex]E^2 = (mc^2)^2 + p^2c^2[/tex]

From this equation the kinetic energy can be determined directly

[tex]E_\text{kin} = E - mc^2 = \sqrt{(mc^2)^2 + p^2c^2} - mc^2[/tex]

For photons we have m=0 and therefore

[tex]E_\text{kin} = E = pc[/tex]

For m>0 one gets the equations with v<c mentioned above, of course

What is the relativistic equation for finding kinetic energy?

The relativistic equation for finding kinetic energy is E = (γ - 1)mc^2, where E is the kinetic energy, γ is the Lorentz factor, m is the mass of the object, and c is the speed of light.

What is the difference between the relativistic equation and the classical equation for finding kinetic energy?

The classical equation for finding kinetic energy is E = 1/2mv^2, where v is the velocity of the object. The relativistic equation takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, when calculating kinetic energy at high speeds.

How do you calculate the Lorentz factor in the relativistic equation for kinetic energy?

The Lorentz factor is calculated using the equation γ = 1/√(1 - v^2/c^2), where v is the velocity of the object and c is the speed of light. This factor represents the amount by which time, length, and mass are modified at high speeds according to the principles of special relativity.

What are the units of the relativistic equation for kinetic energy?

The units of the relativistic equation for kinetic energy are energy units, such as joules (J) or electron volts (eV). The units of the Lorentz factor are dimensionless, as it is a ratio of two quantities with the same units (velocity over speed of light).

How does the relativistic equation for kinetic energy affect the energy of an object at high speeds?

The relativistic equation for kinetic energy shows that as an object approaches the speed of light, its kinetic energy increases significantly. This means that a small increase in velocity can result in a large increase in kinetic energy at high speeds, making it difficult for objects to reach the speed of light.