Physics vs Education vs Undergraduate vs Graduate?

In summary, the pros/cons of each option depend on the individual, but if you are looking to gain a teaching licensure, option 2 is the way to go.

Which choice do you agree with, more?

• Choice One

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Choice Two

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Choice Three

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Other.... (please explain)

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
grendle7
I would like to know which choice is more beneficial, efficient, worth it, et cetera:

Choice One--

Double Major in Both Physics and Education Studies, with a teacher licensure to be able to teach chemistry, physics, and/or mathematics at the secondary level.

Choice Two--

Major just in Physics, to then attain my masters in Secondary Education with a licensure...

Choice Three--

Major just in Physics, to then just attain my teaching licensure...

**Please assume that cost of the education is free, to say, and that the institution which I attend is adequate. I mostly want your responses to be about the pros/cons off of the choices and the sort.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi grendel, are you from Spain by any chance? If that's the case, I think option 2 is the path you need to take. I believe the masters has now officially become requirement for teaching at high schools(bachiller) and middle schools (secundaria).

From a US perspective, we could strongly benefit from teachers who major in the subject they teach AND get the education pedagogy as well. In fact, that would also be a benefit if you opt for a graduate degree and teaching at a university. I don't know if it will be too much to handle the double major, but worth it if you can handle it.

Lavabug said:
Hi grendel, are you from Spain by any chance? If that's the case, I think option 2 is the path you need to take. I believe the masters has now officially become requirement for teaching at high schools(bachiller) and middle schools (secundaria).

Nah, I'm residing in the U.S. of A., but I do fluently dominate Spanish because I'm nationally Mexican. Then again, I don't see myself in Europe, nevertheless Spain, post my alma-mater...

I don't think I'd be able to cope with being a high school teacher :(

Lavabug said:

Damn.. I had no idea high school teachers had to have more than half of a bachelors.

Moonbear said:
From a US perspective, we could strongly benefit from teachers who major in the subject they teach AND get the education pedagogy as well. In fact, that would also be a benefit if you opt for a graduate degree and teaching at a university. I don't know if it will be too much to handle the double major, but worth it if you can handle it.

Having both in my bag of tricks would heighten my job security a bit. And, double-majoring wouldn't be a problem with rigorousness, but more with length and credit availability. I'd love to double major, but that means I won't be able to take certain subjects which I've been wanting to take.

This limit is something of which I'm not totally aware of yet, though. I am mostly hoping to gain acceptance to Berea College, where you are only allowed to take a certain number of credits until graduation, because tuition is completely free. So, if I was to double major, I would be happy in taking all of the topics to get me my majors in Physics and Teaching/Curriculum with a teaching licensure, but then I wouldn't be able take as many philosophy classes, which I adore...

But, I could always just read philosophy on my free time...

1. What is the difference between Physics and Education?

Physics is a natural science that focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. Education, on the other hand, is a discipline that involves learning and teaching theories, techniques, and principles related to teaching and learning.

2. What is the difference between an Undergraduate and a Graduate degree?

An undergraduate degree is typically a bachelor's degree that is obtained after completing a 4-year program at a college or university. A graduate degree, on the other hand, is a master's or doctoral degree that is obtained after completing a higher level of education beyond the undergraduate level.

3. Can I study Physics as an Undergraduate and then switch to Education for my Graduate degree?

Yes, it is possible to switch fields between your undergraduate and graduate degrees. However, it is important to note that there may be additional requirements or coursework that you will need to complete in order to make the switch. It is best to consult with an academic advisor to determine the best course of action.

4. What are the career opportunities for someone with a degree in Physics vs Education?

With a degree in Physics, you can pursue a variety of career paths such as research, engineering, data analysis, and teaching at the university level. A degree in Education can lead to careers in teaching at various levels, curriculum development, education administration, and educational policy.

5. Is it necessary to have a degree in Education to become a Physics teacher?

It depends on the school and state requirements. Some schools may require a degree in Education, while others may allow individuals with a degree in Physics to teach as long as they obtain a teaching certification. It is important to research the specific requirements in your area to become a Physics teacher.