Special Relativity and Time Dilation: A Physics Problem in Frames of Reference

In summary, the physics teacher jumps in a super rocket and travels away from Earth for 1 year and then back to Earth for the same amount of time. She is traveling at a fraction of the speed of light during this time.
Rapier

Homework Statement

A physics instructor is 22 years older than her student. She decides that instead she would like to be 22 years younger than her student and decides to use special relativity to accomplish this. She jumps in her super rocket travels away from Earth for a period of 1 years (as measured by her) and then back to Earth for the same period.

a) Ignoring the brief period of acceleration, what is the speed at which the physics teacher is traveling during this time?
vteacher = fraction of c *
.99974 OK

b) In the teacher's reference frame, how far does she travel away from the Earth during the first portion of this period?
Δxteacher = light-years *
.99974 OK

c) In the student's reference frame, how far does the teacher travel away from the Earth during the first portion of this period?
Δxstudent = light-years
43.8444 NO

Homework Equations

[itex]\gamma[/itex] = sqrt (1 - v^2/c^2)
d' = d[itex]\gamma[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that the teacher travels at .99974c, pretty easily. Since my v = .99974c, [itex]\gamma[/itex] = .022802.

d' = d[itex]\gamma[/itex]
.99974 ly = d (.022802)
d = 43.844 ly

But it is not fond of that answer and I don't see any other way to go about this.

Physics news on Phys.org
you could use the lorrentz transformation matrix which is pretty simple

x=x'
y=y'
z= (gamma)(z'-vt)
t=(gamma)(t'-vz/c2)

since you know t and t' and z it is easy to figure out

Liquidxlax said:
you could use the lorrentz transformation matrix which is pretty simple

x=x'
y=y'
z= (gamma)(z'-vt)
t=(gamma)(t'-vz/c2)

since you know t and t' and z it is easy to figure out

I must still be missing something, because I'm just not getting it. I think I might be confusing my reference frames. The prime reference frame is the 'proper', yes? In this case, the prime frame is the one with the teacher in it.

Rapier said:
I must still be missing something, because I'm just not getting it. I think I might be confusing my reference frames. The prime reference frame is the 'proper', yes? In this case, the prime frame is the one with the teacher in it.
Yes, you're mixing up your reference frames. Think of the teacher as traveling from Earth to planet X and back. The distance between Earth and planet X, as seen by the teacher in her rocket, is contracted.

Doc Al said:
Yes, you're mixing up your reference frames. Think of the teacher as traveling from Earth to planet X and back. The distance between Earth and planet X, as seen by the teacher in her rocket, is contracted.

z = .99974 ly
v = .99974c
t' = 1 yr
t = 22 yr
z= (gamma)(z'-vt)

(gamma) = sqrt(1 - v^2/c^2)
(gamma) = .022802

.99974 ly = (.022802)(z' - .99974 * 22 yrs)
z = 65.8387 ly

I'm sorry. I'm just not getting this. I am still not getting the correct answer.

Let's start over.

Rapier said:
a) Ignoring the brief period of acceleration, what is the speed at which the physics teacher is traveling during this time?
vteacher = fraction of c *
.99974 OK
How did you figure this? Note that she travels away from Earth for 1 year, then back to Earth for 1 year. How much time must pass on Earth so that she comes back younger than her student? What must the gamma factor be?

(gamma)T_o= T

Sorry can't do anything fancy on my ipod.

T_o is the actual time and T is the teachers time

Doc Al said:
Let's start over.

How did you figure this? Note that she travels away from Earth for 1 year, then back to Earth for 1 year. How much time must pass on Earth so that she comes back younger than her student? What must the gamma factor be?

Since she needs to go from +22 to -22, the Δt = 44 yrs.
The problem states that she travels away for 1 year, so Δt' = 1

Δt' = Δt[itex]\gamma[/itex]
1 yr = 44 yrs * [itex]\gamma[/itex]
[itex]\gamma[/itex] = .022727 <-- instead of recalcing [itex]\gamma[/itex] maybe I should just use this value?

sqrt(1 - v^2/c^2) = .022727
1 - v^2/c^2 = 5.165289e-4
v^2/c^2 = .99948347
v/c = .9997417
v = .9997417c

In case you were about to ask, part b:
d = vt
d = (.9997417c)(1yr)
d = .9997414 ly

Rapier said:
Since she needs to go from +22 to -22, the Δt = 44 yrs.
The problem states that she travels away for 1 year, so Δt' = 1
I read the problem as stating that she travels away for 1 year, then back for another year. Thus Δt' = 2 and Δt = 46 years.

Δt' = Δt[itex]\gamma[/itex]
1 yr = 44 yrs * [itex]\gamma[/itex]
[itex]\gamma[/itex] = .022727 <-- instead of recalcing [itex]\gamma[/itex] maybe I should just use this value?
Realize that gamma is always greater than 1: Δt = γΔt'

Doc Al said:
I read the problem as stating that she travels away for 1 year, then back for another year. Thus Δt' = 2 and Δt = 46 years.

Realize that gamma is always greater than 1: Δt = γΔt'

This is part of why I am so very frustrated with this unit. Using your values (Δt' = 2 and Δt = 46) I get v = .99905c. Which is also a valid answer (since it is within 1% of the correct answer and we are out far enough digits that I could just make them up and be correct).

Let me try again with the new v.

Part (C) asks how far the teacher travels during the first leg (so half of the 46 years), Δt = 23 yrs (because she travels out and instantly turns around and comes right back at the same velocity).

z = γ(z'-vt)
.99905437 ly = (1/23)(z' - .99905437c * 23 years)
z=45.9565 ly

and it still tells me no. Sigh.

Rapier said:
This is part of why I am so very frustrated with this unit. Using your values (Δt' = 2 and Δt = 46) I get v = .99905c. Which is also a valid answer (since it is within 1% of the correct answer and we are out far enough digits that I could just make them up and be correct).
OK.

Let me try again with the new v.

Part (C) asks how far the teacher travels during the first leg (so half of the 46 years), Δt = 23 yrs (because she travels out and instantly turns around and comes right back at the same velocity).

z = γ(z'-vt)
.99905437 ly = (1/23)(z' - .99905437c * 23 years)
z=45.9565 ly
I don't understand what you're doing here. You have the speed and time as measured by Earth observers. Just use distance = speed * time; no need for relativity.

Doc Al said:
OK.

I don't understand what you're doing here. You have the speed and time as measured by Earth observers. Just use distance = speed * time; no need for relativity.

Oh geez. That did it. I guess I'm still having a problem with my frames of reference. I didn't realize that I had v and t for the same frame and could use my classical equations. I guess it's back to the book...actually I'll try some YouTubes.

Thanks SO MUCH for the help and patience!

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, developed by Albert Einstein, is a fundamental concept in physics that describes the relationship between space and time. It consists of two main theories: special relativity and general relativity. Special relativity explains the behavior of objects moving at high speeds, while general relativity explains the effects of gravity on space and time.

2. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by the theory of relativity, where the passage of time is observed to be different for different observers. This means that time can appear to move slower or faster depending on the relative motion between two observers or the strength of the gravitational field they are in.

3. How does time dilation affect space travel?

As objects travel at high speeds in space, time dilation causes time to pass slower for those objects than for an observer on Earth. This means that astronauts traveling at high speeds will experience time passing slower compared to people on Earth. This effect is important to consider for accurate navigation and space travel calculations.

4. Is time dilation proven?

Yes, time dilation has been proven through various experiments and observations. One of the most famous examples is the Hafele-Keating experiment, where atomic clocks were flown on airplanes in opposite directions and showed a difference in time when compared to a stationary clock on Earth.

5. Can time dilation be observed on Earth?

Yes, time dilation can be observed on Earth, although the effect is very small. For example, GPS satellites have to account for the time dilation caused by their high speeds in orbit in order to accurately transmit location data. Additionally, atomic clocks on Earth have also shown slight differences in time compared to clocks in space.