How to create a hard graph easily?

In summary, the equation states that if you substitute in values for y and x that are greater than 1, then the equation will still hold true.
ABC_123
http://im16.gulfup.com/2012-03-07/1331125411751.png [Broken]

I know the answer is (E) , but HOW ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure it's meant to be E) because I'm getting D) :frown:

If you were given a linear graph with the vertical axis being Y, and the horizontal being X, then you could say that Y=mX for some constant m, right?

You can similarly substitute each axis representation into this equation. The vertical is now y-x and the horizontal x+y so let Y=y-x and X=x+y and then rearrange the equation to make y the subject.

Sorry,I'm not sure that the correct answer is (E) :(

No worries. On the other hand, I'm quite sure the answer is D, but it doesn't even matter, we should just let the math do the talking :wink:

The first graph is a straight line passing through the origin so it must be of the form y- x= k(x+ y). That is the same as y- x= kx+ ky or y- ky= x+ kx. Factoring, (1-k)y= (1+k)x or y= (1+k)/(1-k) x. From the picture it appears that k is larger than 1 (the angle is greater than 45 degrees) so 1-k is negative. That, in turn, means that the fraction (1+k)/(1-k) is negative so the graph goes downward to the right. It also follows that k< -1.

I didn't understand !
:(

Can you explain it more simply ?

Can you follow the procedure I outlined for you in post #2?

Since the line passes throught the origin, and the slope builds an angle between 45 and 90 degrees, I can say that:
[tex]
y - x = a ( y + x), \ a > 1
[/tex]

Solve this for y. What do you get?

Dickfore said:
Since the line passes throught the origin, and the slope builds an angle between 45 and 90 degrees, I can say that:
[tex]
y - x = a ( y + x), \ a > 1
[/tex]

Solve this for y. What do you get?

y(1-a)= x(1+a)

so .. ?

KKK_123 said:
y(1-a)= x(1+a)

so .. ?

Solve for y.

Plug-in some positive numbers greater than 1, for a.

BTW: Mentallic is right about what's the correct answer .

KKK_123 said:
Can you explain it more simply ?
That graph in the picture appears to have a slope of about 3, for each mm horizontally it rises about 3mm, roughly (and assuming the scales are the same).

Usually we would express that graph as being the plot: y = 3x

But on this particular graph, the vertical quantity is given as y-x
and the variable on the horizontal is given as y+x
So substitute these expressions for the y and x in the blue equation, respectively.

Finally, rearrange the result to get y on one side by itself.

Thread locked pending moderation.

1. What is "Graphs Made Easy - Hard Graph"?

"Graphs Made Easy - Hard Graph" is a software program designed to help users create complex and detailed graphs and charts quickly and easily. It has a user-friendly interface and a variety of customizable features to make data visualization simple and efficient.

2. What types of graphs can be created using this software?

This software allows users to create a wide range of graphs and charts, including bar graphs, line graphs, scatter plots, pie charts, and more. It also has the ability to create 3D graphs for a more dynamic visual representation of data.

3. Is "Graphs Made Easy - Hard Graph" suitable for all levels of graph-making expertise?

Yes, this software is designed to be user-friendly for both beginners and experts. It has a simple drag-and-drop interface for easy graph creation, as well as advanced customization options for more experienced users.

4. Can data be imported from other sources into "Graphs Made Easy - Hard Graph"?

Yes, this software has the capability to import data from various sources, including Excel spreadsheets, CSV files, and SQL databases. This allows users to easily work with their existing data sets without having to manually input the data.

5. Is there a trial version or free demo available for "Graphs Made Easy - Hard Graph"?

Yes, there is a free trial version of this software available for users to try out before purchasing. This trial version has limited features and is intended to give users a preview of the software's capabilities. Users can upgrade to the full version for access to all features and unlimited use.